Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disposable fashion: women shop twice as much as ten years ago

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Disposable fashion: women shop twice as much as ten years ago

Women Are buying twice as many clothes as ten years ago because of plummeting prices.
    In today's disposable society, cheap handbags and 'fast-fashion' garments are thrown away after just a few outings.

Government figures show that the price of women's clothing has fallen by 34 per cent since 1995.

The price crash covers many other retail areas too. For example, over the same period the price of a vacuum cleaner has gone down 45 per cent and home audio-visual items, such as TVs, are down by 73 per cent.

Personal computers, now an everyday appliance in the home, are 93 per cent cheaper than ten years ago.

DVD players which were £300 two years ago are now selling for £50 or less.

In fashion, it is the arrival of chains such as Primark and Matalan, plus the move of the supermarkets into clothing, that has had a dramatic impact on prices.

Cheap versions of the latest catwalk designs from Paris, New York and Rome appear on the rails of budget stores within weeks.

This phenomenon has become known as fast-fashion. Prices are so low that shoppers don't even worry about washing or cleaning their purchases - they just throw them away and start again.

Richard Hyman, managing director of the retail analysts Verdict Research, said: "We're in uncharted waters.

"This deflation is not cyclical. Our forecasts do not anticipate any major increase in retail price inflation ever again. Over the last ten years, we calculate that women have doubled the average number of items they buy themselves in a year."

The whole shopping picture is changing rapidly in many ways.

Retailers, like shoppers, are subject to rising energy bills and higher council tax, and in the past they would have passed them on by pushing up prices.

However, competition is now so fierce that retailers cannot get away with this. And where shoppers used to boast about how much they paid for designer label handbags and dresses, it is the bargain hunters who now earn real admiration among their friends.

Shoppers queued to buy Tesco's Florence & Fred kingfisher blue Grecian dress, which was uncannily similar to a £1,400 dress from the Chloe label.

The real thrill was that the Tesco version of the dress cost only £35.

Similarly, Kookai scored with its 'Whip Stitch Pocket Bag', priced at £35, which was a lookalike version of another Chloe product at £1,000.

However, fast-fashion has its risks. Last year, Monsoon launched a £200,000 claim for damages against Primark over claims that it copied six of its best-selling products, including a bikini. Primark has also been pursued for damages by H&M over the copying of its designs.

One consequence of the shift is that a vast amount of UK manufacturing has been shut down, with tens of thousands of factory jobs moved to the Far East, particularly China.

In the last two years, European manufacturers and the European Commission have battled to hold back the tide of cheap goods by imposing quotas on imports, particularly on clothes and shoes.

However, these efforts are increasingly being seen as anti-consumer and protectionist.

Just this week, the CBI complained that moves by Peter Mandelson, the EU trade commissioner, to stop the import of cheap shoes from China and Vietnam would mean higher prices for shoppers.

dailymail.co.uk
    I actuallly hate the cheap clothing shops with their shitty clothes. And I'd rather do without that buy that crap. I prefer to save my money and buy quality, long-term items that will last me years. Plus, I generally hate shopping so I am pretty much out of their target range.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Disposable fashion: women shop twice as much as ten years ago

^^I agree with everything you just said apart from the hate shopping bit. I love to shop for clothes and will choose quality over the cheaper stuff anyday.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I used to love shopping but then there started being so much crap in the stores, the fashion became geared solely towards younger women right at the time when I was no longer interested in those sorts of clothes, and then, when I started looking at clothes for more grown up women, the choices were suits or flowy skirts with blazers. Horrible. It sucks when the choice is either look like a middle aged woman with no fashion sense or a middle aged woman who is desperately clinging to her long past youth. I simply want stylish, slightly sexy clothes that flatter me and are appropriate for my age and lifestyle. Hello vintage shops! I suppose I was a bit rash saying I hate shopping. I just hate being frsutrated when I shop.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

One consequence of the shift is that a vast amount of UK manufacturing has been shut down, with tens of thousands of factory jobs moved to the Far East, particularly China.
    Which means sweatshops, which means that the cheap price tag will never be worth it to me.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Silver Member

They are crap
    Cut for shit, they flatter NO ONE
    and promote child labor.
    I have been buying amazing pieces at resale shops for the same price as the crap. Because a London Fog Trenchcoat is going to look awesome in 10 yrs and never going to go out of style. You DON'T have to spend a lot of money to look $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch
    I used to love shopping but then there started being so much crap in the stores, the fashion became geared solely towards younger women right at the time when I was no longer interested in those sorts of clothes, and then, when I started looking at clothes for more grown up women, the choices were suits or flowy skirts with blazers. Horrible. It sucks when the choice is either look like a middle aged woman with no fashion sense or a middle aged woman who is desperately clinging to her long past youth. I simply want stylish, slightly sexy clothes that flatter me and are appropriate for my age and lifestyle. Hello vintage shops! I suppose I was a bit rash saying I hate shopping. I just hate being frsutrated when I shop.
    I hear what you are saying and just wanted to say that although I am young, I hate the cheap fashion/cut/style etc. I am not into the hipster stuff. The only flatter very few. If you are not a skinny twig, you end up looking like a muffin.

I am thin but I am not going out looking like a ho. I wish there was decent fashion for younger people as well. I don't think short equals sexy. I am happy to wear a flowing skirt and still feel very feminine and pretty. So I feel your pain just on the other end of the scale. Hipsters and crop tops are so NOT me.

Bronze Member

I'm with buttmunch. I'm 37, and I don't want to look like a fashion challenged middle ager, and I don't want to dress like a wannabe teenager either.

I also would like to add that I am fed up with seasonal "color trends". For example, last spring/summer here in Atlanta, EVERYTHING was pink and lime green. Now, that might work for some, but those colors make me look like the undead!

Hit By Ban Bus!

No wonder there is so much credit card debt.

Elite Member

Looks like several of us are close in age! I'm almost 37 and I used to have trouble finding clothes (either too young, too short, too hoochie, or too grandma), but then I found Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic. Between those two stores I can find just about anything I need! I also shop at Express sometimes because I love their Editor pants (they fit so well!) and I like their W31 jeans. I can also find some cute things at Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child
    I hear what you are saying and just wanted to say that although I am young, I hate the cheap fashion/cut/style etc. I am not into the hipster stuff. The only flatter very few. If you are not a skinny twig, you end up looking like a muffin.

I am thin but I am not going out looking like a ho. I wish there was decent fashion for younger people as well. I don't think short equals sexy. I am happy to wear a flowing skirt and still feel very feminine and pretty. So I feel your pain just on the other end of the scale. Hipsters and crop tops are so NOT me.
    I just found my new shopping partner

I can't stand all those shops (H&M on top of my hate list) where all the stuff is badly (if at all) tailored, and ready to be thrown away after wearing it and washing it twice!
    I need a good fabric that looks nice and will last for years (color included!!!), and I want figure hugging clothes, not "figure strangling" super tight clothes that make no one look good and scream "cheap ho"!
    Nope.

another thrift store shopper here! though i will admit to impulse buys off the Target Sale Rack.

Thanks fucking Walmart. An evil necessity. I gave up shopping when Woodies went bankrupted. I hate to go to a mall. I try to do all mine online. It just really sucks now. Not how it use to be.

I do quite often go to the cheaper shopws like Zara, Primark and H&M because I am a student and can't afford a lot. Even in Topshop a vest top could be about £15, but in Primark, they are about £3 each so I can buy five. I always found the fit to be fine, thought I suppose it differs from one body shape to another, but I just alter my clothes. It only takes about 10mins!

^^ Primark, I've never been but my friend absolutely swears by the place. She has purses for £1, lovely glittery flat pump for £3, skirts for £5. I've begged her to take me the next time she goes. Most of the stuff she buys are fashion items that will be out in a month or so anyway, whats the point in spending loads on a trend when it won't be around forever?

I order a lot of stuff from the J.Crew catalog. There are some J.Crew stores, but they are very few and far between around here. They have a lot of basic pieces that are a little pricer, but very well made. In fact, I have quite a few things I got from them that are more than a few years old and still look great.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information