Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 7 style mistakes all guys make

Default The 7 style mistakes all guys make

The 7 Style Mistakes All Guys Make - Yahoo! Shopping

Can you really blame a guy for wearing his jeans a bit too high on his waist? For grabbing a dress belt that’s not quite a dress belt? For not knowing what the heck collar stays are? Well, no. But we can offer advice that that will prevent him from suffering these flubs again, while guaranteeing better style for life.
    Mistake 1: The Schlumpy Leather Jacket
    Problem: There's nothing modern-or even retro-cool-about a leather jacket that fits like a rain poncho.
    Solution: When trying on a new leather jacket, keep going down a size until you can't get it on, then buy the next size up. It should feel snug as a wetsuit but will take your body's shape over time. The coolest style right now? The bomber you see here.
    Jacket, $1,695, by Dolce & Gabbana. Shirt, $375, by Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiére. Khakis, $48, by Dockers. Shoes, $488, by Brooks Brothers Peal & Co.
    Mistake 2: The Barack Obama Jeans
    Problem: Whitewashed high-waisted jeans aren’t just dorky—they also emphasize all the wrong parts of your body.
    Solution: Medium-rise raw denim jeans sit at the most flatter place (on your hips), follow your legs (instead of saddlebagging out from your waist), and form-fit to you as you break them in. Oh, and while you’re at it, replace the Seinfeld-esque running shoes with some lace-ups or classic sneaks.
    Jeans, $90, by Martin + Osa. Sweater, $100, by Uniqlo. Shirt, $40, by H&M. Shoes, $560, by Alden. Watch by IWC.
    Mistake 3: The Cheap Printed Tie
    Problem: Let’s pretend this tie isn’t a little ugly. And tied too long. It still isn’t working. Why? A cheap thin silk tie gets you an unacceptably tiny knot.
    Solution: Go for a sturdier silk tie, which’ll make for a solid knot. Plus, keep any patterns understated. Also, a quick note on length: The tip of your tie should not hang below the waistline of your pants.
    Tie, $135, by Ralph Lauren Black Label. Shirt, $360, by Etro. Pants, $280, by Acne. Tie bar by Kenneth Cole.
    Mistake 4: Sagging Suit Pants
    Problem: Just bought a cool skinny suit? It ain’t cool if it stacks up at your ankles like baggy jeans.
    Solution: Take your suit to a tailor and tell him you don’t want a break. Those are the words you should use: “I want this suit hemmed with little or no break.” Period. Remember: Tailors are used to working with guys who don’t know what they want. Be assertive so he understands that you’re after a specific look and don’t just want “the usual.”
    Suit, $1,095, by D&G. Shoes, $395, by Calvin Klein Collection.
    Mistake 5: The Pancake Collar
    Problem: When you're not wearing a tie, the collar on your dress shirt flattens out and sinks beneath the lapels of your jacket. The look? Sloppy.
    Solution: First, look for dress shirts with firm collars that stand up on their own., framing your face. Second, use collar stays. You know, those little plastic things. Every proper dress shirt has slots for them.
    Shirt, $150, by Thomas Pink. Suit, $1,195, by Emporio Armani.
    Mistake 6: Right Suit, Wrong Belt
    Problem: You want Tiger Woods's swing, not his style, especially when wearing a suit. A silver-tipped faux cowboy belt is not a dress belt. If you've got one, retire it.
    Solution: Invest in a high-quality leather belt that's an inch to an inch and a half wide. If it smells and feels buttery, that means it'll age beautifully. And the buckle should be subtle.
    Belt, $69, by Club Monaco. Shirt, $370, by Marc Jacobs. Pants, $195, by Boss Black.
    Mistake 7: The Oversize Suit
    Problem: You invested in a dark handsome suit, but you look a little...eh in it. Know why? It's a size too big, and all that extra material is boxing (shoulders), sagging (waist), and flopping (ankles).
    Solution: Repeat the leather-jacket method from the opening page. When trying on a suit, keep going down a size in the jacket until it gets uncomfortable. Then go one size up and buy that. And unless you’re over six feet two, buy a regular length, not a long.
    Suit, $1,395, and shoes, $395, by Calvin Klein Collection. Shirt, $360, by Etro. Tie, $150, by Black Fleece by Brooks Brothers.

This is pretty good advice. I hate baggy suits, and pants that are too long and bunch up. The collar stay tip is good too.

But don't start calling them 'Barack Obama Jeans' just yet. The poor guy made a mistake, as long as he doesn't keep doing it, we'll still call them mom jeans.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I've never run into any of these problems. I hate leather, so I never wear it. I don't wear high-waisted jeans, cheap ties, saggy suits, etc.

@ the Barack Obama jeans.

I hate fat dudes that wear pleated dress pants.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

uhhuh... fat guys in "just barely fits" shit is not a good look. I love how the article assumes guys are all 150 lb twinks from planet NEVER EATS
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

There's a "fashion" trend here for guys to wear nasty white or pale grey/cream shoes with dark suits. The Spring Racing Carnival is coming up and they will be out there in force looking like idiots.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i'm sorry, but none of these men look comfortable. If they reached for something in a cupboard, their shirt would rip.

There's a good git, and then there's skintight.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

All the "after" outfits are designed for maximum crotch enhancement. What's wrong with a good old fashioned rolled up sock in the jocks?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Gold Member

These rules are too rigid. If I had a boyfriend he could wear what he wanted except leather or UGGS - men don't suit them.
    A man I talk to at the moment is quite slim and tall so would probably suit most outfits.

Mine doesn't make any style mistakes.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I saw this article last week in Esquire Magazine, I think. Even though I weigh about 155 pounds, I do think the clothes look uncomfortably tight.

Bronze Member

problem: most guys don't look like these models

solution: pat your guy on the back for trying.

Thank you! My brute of a husband would bust out of that crap like the Incredible Hulk if he so much as flexed.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    There's a "fashion" trend here for guys to wear nasty white or pale grey/cream shoes with dark suits. The Spring Racing Carnival is coming up and they will be out there in force looking like idiots.
    That sounds horrible.

I guess I'm an old lady here but I hate the very last picture up above. The guy's pants are so skinny they practically look like stirrup pants or leggings. I don't like that on a guy, especially one wearing a suit.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

i do noy like
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information