Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serendipity's wedding guest makeover

Default Serendipity's wedding guest makeover

As I mentioned in Stef's thread, I've got a wedding to go to in October and I really want to look good for a change. I've always been a wallflower and gone for safe things, but I'm starting to feel good about myself and want to feel great for once, instead of hiding in a corner. I know a lot of you are really into fashion and have great taste so I'd really appreciate your advice.

I'm going to do this in stages because I've been losing weight and not sure where I'll be in a couple of months, so the clothing bit will have to wait a little longer. Right now, I'd like to do something with my hair.

It's a lunchtime wedding so I'd like something a little formal but not over the top. I have long hair to my middle back and a light fringe (bangs) and a roundish face with high cheekbones. I've always had my hair around my face (confidence issues) but have started to wear my hair pulled back sometimes and I get so many positive comments so I'd like to do maybe an updo or just something that shows my face more. Lol, you have no idea what a weird concept that is to me, showing my face. But it's not a bad face so why not, I've seen worse

I'm going to get a hairdresser friend to do it for me so I'd love suggestions showing the back and front if possible. I've googled but I'm finding it hard to find sites that show the back of the head too.

Please work your magic on me, I'm like a blank canvas! I promise I'll show pics after the big day.

Thanks
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Ok, I quite like this one, maybe with a little flower accessory tucked in the side? It's in spring so i think that would be appropriate?

Or maybe this?

Am I doing this the wrong way round though, choosing a hairstyle before anything else? I'm such a novice
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

I like the last one and an updo really shows off the high cheekbones which is a good thing! I am no fashion expert but you can always change a hairdo if it doesn't go with your outfit
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

How old are you, by the way? What season will it be in your parts? That could help.

Thanks Shedevil, I think I like that one too. How about this one if I have it down, with a little flower in the back? I guess it depends on what I decide to wear.

I've seen a few over the top styles I like but I don't want to look like I'm in the bridal party.

LaFolie, I'm 35. I know, you'd think I'd have this fashion thing down by now! It's a confidence thing and I always went for safe options. Over the last 6 months I've been trying to break out of my comfort zone and so far with the little changes I've made, I've had so much lovely feedback that I want to do more! It's a family wedding and I've always been the black sheep so I want to show the new me.

It's a spring wedding so, knowing this family, it will be mostly outdoors with lots of lovely touches.

I'd suggest you'd wear a discreet number if you're going to have your hair down. Also, what is your figure like? Apple, pear, hourglass?...

I just have one piece of advice for the moment: don't wear white (but you must know that!). What colors do you like? What's your skintone like?

I have big boobs and hips and a small waist. I'm a 'curvy' girl, not fat just got some areas I'm working on I'd really like to wear a nice dress but it has to have sleeves, hate my flabby arms *cry* It's a work in progress but I don't think I'll feel confident about them for a while yet. Also, I have pale skin and dark hair with red streaks.

Lol, no, I wouldn't wear white. That's just asking for trouble. Around this family, I always seem to have something spilt on me. At the bride to be's sister's wedding the waiter spilled champagne all over me. Could only happen to me!

I usually like to wear deep, rich colours like burgandies, purples, greens. I've never felt comfortable in pastels for some reason. But then, I'm trying to change so maybe I should!

Lucky you for having an hourglass shape! Ok, I'd like to see you in mint green or aqua. I'll be looking for some ideas.

Last edited by LaFolie; August 8th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.

Oooh, they're nice! I like the colour of the first one in particular. The second one I probably like a bit more, perhaps with shorter sleeves.

I was also thinking re my body shape, I probably look most like J-lo, complete with the fat arse But I have D cups.

I've only considered dresses with at least mini-sleeves. It's difficult to strike a balance between safe and wowing for this occasion, because you don't want to upstage the bride but you want to look good just the same!

No, that's great what you chose, it's given me something to start with. I really like the second one with the waist that has a different material. I think it would suit my body shape too. I honestly had no idea where to start but now I do. Thanks so much

Probably in a months time I'll start to really seriously begin looking at what's around now that the spring clothing is starting to come out.

You know, this is the first time ever that I'm looking forward to something like this. I always dreaded it knowing I'd hate how I'd look. Being brought up with gorgeous blondes as cousins, I was always the ugly duckling. Well, they haven't seen me for a while and things have changed. I don't want to show up the bride though, I'm not that mean Not that I think I'm a stunner, but I'm not as bad as I thought I was. Thank god for therapy!

Definitely want to have a dress with a defined waist to show off your hourglass figure. Assuming it will still be mild/warm in October, you also don't want to go floor length as it's an afternoon wedding. Purples, greens, burgundies.. really rich, strong fall colors which are refreshing if they're paired with a feminine design.

Teal Stretch Net Square Smock Dress with Tie by Vivienne Tam

Puff Sleeve Day to Night Dresses from Shani

Silk Dress at Spiegel.com

SUSANA MONACO Gathered Sleeve Dress in Mocha at Revolve Clothing - Free Shipping!

Suzi Chin Maggy Boutique Pleated Charmeuse Dress - - Nordstrom

Obi Tunic Dress - Sunner

Signature Silk Collection: Silk Wrap Dress at Spiegel.com

I like the grey only in a diff color with the second hair lol
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Oh, I like the second-to-last!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information