Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empire waist shirts help please

Gold Member

Default Empire waist shirts help please

I like this style of shirts but here's the deal, I'm not a plus size but my chest is a DDD. I normally wear a large, occasionally an XL, depending on the cut of the shirt. Does anyone know of any brand that would fit that? I know the shirts aren't the best cut for everyone but when I've been able to get one on, it looks ok until you see the line that's supposed to be UNDER my boobs, going across my boobs. A friend passed a maternity shirt in XL to me. I put it on and I would be arrested if I wore this thing out in public but it was so pretty and it looked nice, as long as we ignored the fact that I had on triangle pasties with spaghetti straps.

I'm just tired of wearing things that look so sloppy to get them to fit over my chest, they all billow out like tents. I don't seem to show until I'm round 5 months so I look ridiculous in maternity stuff right now so I'd like something I could get more use out of.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Elite Member

I too have larger boobs than I would choose to have. I once went with my sister to the carribean who wanted me to but on her spaghetti strapped tank top. Once I put it on she said ohhhhhnooo, we cant go out like that... it's like being with Pamela Anderson (not a comparison I enjoy). Here's how I get around it....a plain while t shirt under with the other on top , it covers a multitude of sins/boobs.

Gold Member

Thanks for the tip! I figured I was asking too much of this particular top when I realized that the straps were 1/2 inch embedded into my skin and the plastic slides were all the way in the front, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Here's how I get around it....a plain while t shirt under with the other on top , it covers a multitude of sins/boobs.
    exactly what i was going to say! a tank or other shirt underneath works perfectly. that's what i do with a lot of my shirts.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I too cannot button my tops, I wear a tank or tee underneath and button half way up
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

A*O

Empire line is very tricky if you are more than a B cup. I try to avoid it altogether.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have to agree.. if it's too flowy or doesn't fit right under the chest, you might look pregnant, which is especially true for the empire waist because there's an obvious seam right under the bust line, so for bigger busts it can get a little difficult. Stick to tops that aren't too flowy or billowy under the bust, but more fitted and with a defined empire waist or maybe try a wrap top... this is was I found.

Empire-waist blouse at Spiegel.com

Deco Top*-* Neiman Marcus

Aqua V-Neck Embroidered Top - Sweaters & Tops - Bloomingdales.com

Shirred V-Neck Top

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5...9103p01v01.jpg

Finley 'Isis' Pintuck Blouse - View All - Nordstrom

Ella Moss 'Marion' Short Sleeve Blouse - View All - Nordstrom

Semantiks Pinched V-Neck Top - View All - Nordstrom

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Empire line is very tricky if you are more than a B cup. I try to avoid it altogether.
    i agree.
    i don't think i've ever seen a large-breasted woman wear one without looking either top-heavy, pregnant or matronly. especially if they are flowy.
    i agree with penny, best to stick with tops that are more fitted under the breast.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Right now I'm ok with looking pregnant since I am, lol. I just get so pissed because yeah, I know I'm overweight but the weight isn't in my top half. I can't find anything that's fitted/tailored looking that will fit my top half and not be big everywhere else. Even in the arms and shoulders. I love those shirts that you posted Penny but they never fit me right. If it wouldn't gross me out I'd be a nudist, lol.

Elite Member

At least when someone says 'When is the baby due?" you can smile and give them a date as opposed to 'I'm not pregnant'. BTW, if one ever meets up with one's ex and his new girlfriend/wife be sure to ask her when the baby is due, especiallly if she's skinny as a rail. That way the Ex will be punished by their current for weeks without you having to do it! ;-D

Ooooh remind me never to cross you, Scooter!

MK have you tried Bravisimo? Bravissimo | Big Bras, Lingerie, Swimwear and Clothing for D-KK cup women
    Free Charmed.

bravissimo rules.

that is all.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Also try ordering from the tall sizes. I think that would move the empire line down a bit and maybe give you a bit more room for the girls. It drives me nuts when the empire seam goes across the girls like the equator. I've got a really long torso and it's tricky getting the seaming right. I think J Jill has a tall section, maybe Eddie Bauer as well. Also the women's section is usually cut for a larger top. Get something that fits the shoulders/boobs and then find a good/cheap tailor to take it in at the waist.

Another thought, if you haven't bought a new bra in a while, may be time to go shopping! A different bra can really change the way clothes fit.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

^^I second getting a new bra. Go to a dedicated bra store and get properly fitted. I had been buying a 36 D and getting very poor support. A trip to a bra store last week revealed that I am actually a 32 DD (Yikes at the DD part). I bought some (very expensive) bras that fit, give me awesome support and make me look much smaller boobwise than when I was wearing the wrong size. I wear my clothes so much better and that includes a few empire waist shirts currently in my summer wardrobe. It's totally worth the money.

totally agree about the bras. good bras that fit properly are not cheap, but they are worth the investment. and they last too, if you don't machine wash them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information