Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Lena Dunham on the way to the gym

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    she's definitely doing it on purpose. and while the attention whoring can be annoying, she also has a point. this same outfit on, say, selena gomez, wouldn't get a second look. but as women we've been conditioned to mock and feel disgust that a woman with a less than perfect body and more than 3% body fat would dare bare some skin. and i'm the first one to do it, i'm just as guilty. but i find it interesting. and yes, i agree with bella that "she thrives on making people uncomfortable with her body." but maybe we should also ask ourselves why her body would make us feel any more uncomfortable than anyone else's?
    if i passed lena in the street and didn't know who she was i wouldn't give her a second look. or at most i would think, 'that's not a very flattering look'. but because she's famous we're all disgusted that she dares bare skin when she's less than perfect and you have to wonder does that say more about her or about us?
    I'm not entirely sure that it's because she's overweight. It's been ages since I've taken social psych but I remember reading some studies that talked about societal norms for body language. For instance, while men can sit in a chair with their hands behind their heads (chest exposed), almost everyone is uncomfortable when a woman does it. Similarly, men can sit with their legs wide open, women don't. She's constantly thrusting her boobs and her vagina into a spotlight. I don't care if you have great boobs or a great (WTF??) vagina. I don't want to see them. It's vulgar. So, for me, her vulgarity comes from this, not that she's overweight.

In terms of her clothing, there's a way to dress that shows your assets, there's a way to dress to show you don't give a shit, and there's a way to dress to get people's attention. She routinely picks the last one. If she didn't give a shit, she wouldn't be so in-your-face about it.
    I'mNotBitter and BelledeJour like this.

Elite Member

I simply don't like her. I've watched all of 15 minutes of Girls and couldn't hack it. There is nothing about her perspective that interests me. Her "made you look" feminism might influence the social media generation, who knows. It's not advancing any type of feminism I care about.

For the record, I've been a part of dozens of life drawing studios over the past 20 years. I've seen it all - fat, old, scarred, intersexed, freaks, prostitutes. What Lena does with her body feels trite, to me. She might as well invest hundreds of thousands into plastic surgery, since she is committed to the same aesthetic as the Real Housewives - Look at ME! I'm soooo important! I'm in control!
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    So apparently she is not only sloppy-looking, but she's a raging bitch too.
    Fantastic, I now have a legitimate reason to loathe her
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I simply don't like her. I've watched all of 15 minutes of Girls and couldn't hack it. There is nothing about her perspective that interests me. Her "made you look" feminism might influence the social media generation, who knows. It's not advancing any type of feminism I care about.

For the record, I've been a part of dozens of life drawing studios over the past 20 years. I've seen it all - fat, old, scarred, intersexed, freaks, prostitutes. What Lena does with her body feels trite, to me. She might as well invest hundreds of thousands into plastic surgery, since she is committed to the same aesthetic as the Real Housewives - Look at ME! I'm soooo important! I'm in control!
    Possibly my favourite ever comment on Ms Dunham *applauds quietly*
    olivia likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

My daughter just sent me this. It kind of got me thinking of this thread:

I'mNotBitter likes this.

Uh...what the hell did I just watch?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information