Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Goldie Hawn out for a walk in LA

I think i ve said it before but i cant help it.I live in a country you get tan just by living your every day lif.Most people take sea baths daily and a great number sunbath.My generation never used any sun lotions,creams or whatever.and we spent hours in the sun.Most of my friend have nice skin, all tan and healthy.It is only a few unlucky ones with bad genes looking like goldie does.Every where around Mediterranean sea i visited,Italy,France,Spain,you see healthy older women enjoying the sea and sun,some food and wine and the occasional smoke.Bad skin is a matter of genes...of course if you live in a jar,you might delay the natural decay,but is it really worth it?i do not regret endless hours in the ilands,not a smoke after a lovely dish or love making,all this made my youth a place worth visiting in memory.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I used to go to SoCal for business a few times a year. I could not believe the leathery and rough skin a lot of the women I met with had. These were younger middle aged women too. Definitely alot of tanorexia in that part of the world.
    Same goes for Florida.
    DawnM74 likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Once you stop producing collagen in your 60s you're screwed when it comes to smooth skin. She's looked like this for well over a decade. I have a coworker in her early sixties who looks just like this. Guess where she lived most of her life? Sunny SoCal. Who cares really. As long as you're not riddled with skin cancer.
    Related to this - my mom developed scleroderma in her late 60's (around 1999). So rapidly, that we didn't think she would make it through the year. The effect of scleroderma is to overproduce collagen. She got an unnaturally smooth face for her age, but also had almost rock-hard forearms and ankles, with a lot of stiffness in her hands and feet. The weirdest part was that it went into remission about a year or so later, but left almost all the collagen in her face - while leaving her extremities. She literally ended up with the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    I think i ve said it before but i cant help it.I live in a country you get tan just by living your every day lif.Most people take sea baths daily and a great number sunbath.My generation never used any sun lotions,creams or whatever.and we spent hours in the sun.Most of my friend have nice skin, all tan and healthy.It is only a few unlucky ones with bad genes looking like goldie does.Every where around Mediterranean sea i visited,Italy,France,Spain,you see healthy older women enjoying the sea and sun,some food and wine and the occasional smoke.Bad skin is a matter of genes...of course if you live in a jar,you might delay the natural decay,but is it really worth it?i do not regret endless hours in the ilands,not a smoke after a lovely dish or love making,all this made my youth a place worth visiting in memory.
    I'm obviously generalizing, but it seems like people in the Mediterranean region have an olive base tone to their skin and more melanin, too. It wouldn't be a huge protection, but it would probably be, when compared to Hawn, who is blue-eyed and a natural blonde. By comparison, I would think the UV rays would basically age her skin prematurely and pound her collagen into oblivion.
    sprynkles, effie2, HWBL and 6 others like this.

Yes, us poor fair-skinned girls who so wanted a tan in high school. When I was growing up nobody heard of sunscreen, it was baby oil with iodine. Who knows why iodine. I did nothing but burn. And peel. My chest is still freckled from it. I had a friend who was olive-skinned and always had a beautiful tan in the summer. I was sooo jealous.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Used to do baby oil and iodine too. I think it stained us orange-ish! I loved tanning beds too. So relaxing and way faster than laying out. I'm pretty fair too, but I could get a pretty decent tan. I kind of miss it. But after that basal cell thing a few years back I'm fine being pasty white.
    Trixie, Lofty Bike and BITTER like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

It used to be coconut oil among my friends. I never dared do it as I've blistered more than once from an ordinary English summer. Being a deep fried scaly, flaking freak didn't seem worth it for a few weeks of being tanned.
    BITTER likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I am blond and pale and get pink, red, and blotchy, not tanned, so I usually wear sunscreen and a hat. But I have sun damage on my chest and arms anyway, grrrr. And true about collagen circling the drain around menopause. Sucks.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I’m a vampire, couldn’t tan even if I wanted to and I hate the heat and being in the sun if it’s above 24-25C/75F but I’m kind of jealous of sun worshippers, they have a much easier time of it than me in summer.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The heat never bothered me until menopause. I could sit on the beach all day with an SPF-4 and I didn't really burn anymore. Ha, try finding an SPF-4 nowadays. I can't stand sitting in the sun for very long anyway. Maybe an hour, if that.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

My parents used to force me to sit in the sun on holidays, because if you weren't tanned, the vacation was shit. Nice that I often work outdoors now and have a garden, so I'm tanned anyway, but not burned, I always use sunscreen. I can't stand heat, though, with my frequent menopausal heatwaves and a general aversion against all temperatures over 25 degrees/75 F. On vacation, you'll find me on the beach, walking around with the feet in the ocean, but never sitting or laying in the hot sand, i still hate that.
    Trixie, sputnik and BITTER like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I’m a vampire, couldn’t tan even if I wanted to and I hate the heat and being in the sun if it’s above 24-25C/75F but I’m kind of jealous of sun worshippers, they have a much easier time of it than me in summer.
    I'm a mixed person (explained in several older threads just how many "bloods"/nationalities/races run in our family tree). As a young child, I'd already get a tan just when someone would mention the sun was shining, LOL. Then, since I was about 16 or so, I stopped being able to get a tan. It was crazy. I'd even go to tanning salons, get the most powerful treatment and only get a very slight tan. My hair would turn red, though, in the sun. But my skin would remain very pale, and that hasn't changed to this day. Of course, being a mixed person, people think I purposely try to stay as "white" as possible, but I really can't get a tan anymore. I also can't stand heat over 75/25 degrees.
    sputnik likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Yep, mid-70s with a nice breeze is perfect weather to me. Once the humidity starts in the summer, it's too much. I don't go to the beach anymore, it's just not enjoyable to sit there and sweat.
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Used to do baby oil and iodine too. I think it stained us orange-ish! I loved tanning beds too. So relaxing and way faster than laying out. I'm pretty fair too, but I could get a pretty decent tan. I kind of miss it. But after that basal cell thing a few years back I'm fine being pasty white.
    "Laying out" - now there's a term you don't hear anymore!
    sprynkles and Trixie like this.

If you're as naturally fair as Goldie probably is, just embrace it. Or if you're a rich celeb, get yourself a personal spray tanner.

With Goldie though it's probably just as much that she loves to spend time outdoors as it is not wanting to be pale. It sucks, but that's why there are such things as sunscreen, sleeves and giant hats and shades, umbrellas. For my friends who are naturally very fair skinned and have embraced it, it's a good look for them. And some of the ones who are older still have great skin because of it.

My mom is dark and tans pretty easily but she still wears hats and shades and sunscreen. She wore nothing when younger too, unless it was an accelerant like baby oil and iodine, because nobody did back her her day. Even though she hardly ever burned and always tanned beautifully she says if she knew then what she does now she would have protected herself a little more. Now she's worried about skin cancer. Even darker people get it. She has had a couple moles removed herself even with being a darker person who tans instead of a fairer person who burns. She also has more wrinkles than she probably would have, but that honestly doesn't bother her as much as the idea of skin cancer. But she loves being outdoors and working in the yard, so she's going to be doing that until she drops. She just does like all the other little Southern older ladies do and wears her huge straw hats and big shades.

I'm hoping being a little more greasy/oily than her...which I used to hate...will be to my advantage. Both with the premature aging and the cancer risk. But I always put something on when I'm going to be in the sun. If I want to be darker than I am for the time of year it is I go get a spray tan. One thing I wish I would have done from the very beginning when I spent years driving throughout day for work was get a dark screen shade for my driver's side window. I did do this a couple years in. But I can actually see a miniscule difference between one side of my face and the other and I know it's from spending those first couple years getting more sun on one side from the car time my job required.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I dont sunbath or seabath after my severe heart attack some years back.I am sickly white now,everybody can tell i am not healthy.They also comment on my pale arms and face.Only when the summer ends i get some tan from going out for chores.I miss it so much.My sister in law and my brother are already bronzed.Ah,well,one of the things life took away from me..I totally agree,not everybody can take the sun.Olive skinned people are blessed.
    sprynkles, sputnik, MsDark and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information