Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 'The Crown' Online Premiere

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    The problem is I'm pretty sure the leap from Season 2 to Season 3 was only like four years? Every one of those years would have had to be a 2020-level of bullshit to age from Claire Foy to Olivia Coleman

*eta: it was a year... ONE YEAR. The Queen must have taken JFK's assassination very, very, VERY hard in that case. That's just a jarring change
    I agree. I stopped watching it because of this, although I might have to pick it up again. I just don't like Olivia Colman.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'mNotBitter View Post
    I agree. I stopped watching it because of this, although I might have to pick it up again. I just don't like Olivia Colman.
    Despite the fact that I thought Claire Foy did a better job of playing the role of the queen, this season I thought Olivia Coleman did an outstanding job of acting in general. There were a number of scenes where the nuance of emotions she showed just blew me away.

I know everyone has been lauding Gillian Anderson’s portrayal of Margaret thatcher...I thought it was too much of a caricature.
    faithanne likes this.

Everyone certainly hasn't been lauding it, it's been a mixed bag from what I've seen but I'd say the majority agree with you
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Silver Member

Everyone certainly hasn't been lauding it, it's been a mixed bag from what I've seen but I'd say the majority agree with you
    Oh...I didn’t know that. Just goes to show you, you cant trust what is “trending” on Twitter! Lol. The first day the show was available for streaming, Twitter was lit up with people raving about her performance. As I was watching all I could think was, why do people think that performance was good ( and I say this as a Gillian Anderson fan)

I just finished it and I loved this season more than any other, even though I prefer Claire Foy and Matt Smith. Olivia played just the right mixture of sympathetic/snobbish/insensitive, and she does affronted so well. But I thought there was too much Thatcher, although it would have been hard not to feature her, since she was so much a part of that era.

Bonus was Richard Roxburgh as Bob Hawke, although if anything he downplayed him because Hawke was larger than life.
    levitt, Labelwhore and KrisNine like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Honestly I didnít enjoy this season, not because it wasnít well acted or entertaining (it was). I just got so bloody frustrated and angry at the Charles-Camilla-Diana cluster. Though Josh OíConnor is v fit and heís now my wallpaper on my phone (I have to tactically remove George in case I bump into him irl).

eta: there was a scene in episode 10 with a shot of Olivia from the side and omg she genuinely looked exactly like the queen! After sheíd given Charlie boy a telling off in her bedroom

It made me dislike Charles even more, without making Diana out to be a saint. Even though it was inevitable Charles would turn out that way, given his position and cold, formal upbringing, it was sad watching it unfold because everybody but Margot had their "duty" blinkers on, ignoring the fact she was 19 years old and not brought up with their way of thinking.

I did like how they showed her "performing" for Charles, and how it was more about her being in the spotlight than actually doing something nice for him, but on the other hand he was always so petulant, because he really did expect everything to be about him, despite everything always being about him.

And I thought they were very generous with the actress playing Camilla. She captured that horsey, "jolly good sort of girl" character, but she was too much of a babe to be Camilla.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'm surprised that William hasn't publically whinged about the crown yet....

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    It made me dislike Charles even more, without making Diana out to be a saint. Even though it was inevitable Charles would turn out that way, given his position and cold, formal upbringing, it was sad watching it unfold because everybody but Margot had their "duty" blinkers on, ignoring the fact she was 19 years old and not brought up with their way of thinking.

I did like how they showed her "performing" for Charles, and how it was more about her being in the spotlight than actually doing something nice for him, but on the other hand he was always so petulant, because he really did expect everything to be about him, despite everything always being about him.

And I thought they were very generous with the actress playing Camilla. She captured that horsey, "jolly good sort of girl" character, but she was too much of a babe to be Camilla.
    They probably had to upgrade Camilla because they upgraded Charles too

eta: Novice, he's waiting for Season 6 when he's a main character and portrayed as a dick to Kate
    MsDark, lindsaywhit and Novice like this.

They probably had to upgrade Camilla because they upgraded Charles too

eta: Novice, he's waiting for Season 6 when he's a main character and portrayed as a dick to Kate
    I love you Levitt!

Do you think that they will up or down grade Rose????
    levitt likes this.

I know itís not for everyone, but I love what Emma is wearing. Itís something I would have worn in my 80ís/90ís club days.

I thought there was way too much Thatcher this season. Iím not sure about Gillian Andersonís portrayal. It did feel a bit like a caricature.

The guy that plays Charles is totally hot. Charles should be thrilled.
    czb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I love you Levitt!

Do you think that they will up or down grade Rose????
    I don’t think the show will get that far. I think the dickish behaviour they will reach though is when Wills dumped her in university because he wanted to shag around a bit, before getting back with her. I think the show will finish around their wedding/George’s birth.
    Novice likes this.

I thought Gillian Anderson did a great job playing Thatcher. It was a bit of a caricature, but I always thought that Thatcher herself was caricature too.
    czb, MsDark and Cartermrc like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information