Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Novice
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 1 Post By rollo

Thread: Catherine duchess of Cambridge visited an ‘Expanding Horizons’ primary school scheme

Default Catherine duchess of Cambridge visited an ‘Expanding Horizons’ primary school scheme

The duchess was visiting an ‘Expanding Horizons’ primary school scheme at the Widehorizons Margaret McMillan House in Wrotham, Kent.

Camping out: Kate joined the youngsters under canvas

People's princess: The Duchess of Cambridge was totally at ease as she chatted with children and charity workers

The scheme is co-ordinated by ARK Schools, which gives children from inner-city backgrounds the opportunity to venture into the countryside and develop their confidence and teamwork skills.

The charitable Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry is supporting ARK in its work and last year William and Kate attended a glitzy fundraising gala in London, their first engagement as a married couple.

Many of the youngsters had never been to the countryside before.

She also sported heavy make up and her hair had been curled, held back from her face by a black plastic clip.

The children Kate met came from the King Solomon Academy Primary School which is based in North Westminster, London. An area of high deprivation, more than 70 per cent of children under 15 in the area live in a jobless household.

For many of the children, aged between and eight and nine years old, it was the first time they had seen the countryside or been away from home.

Widehorizons run outdoor learning experiences and on their three-day residential course the children had learnt to sleep in tipi tents and take part in team-building activities including rope challenges, obstacle courses, campfire building and outdoor cooking.

Two of the youngsters showed the Duchess round their tipi.

The youngsters asked Kate about how she was enjoying life in the Royal Family

Zahid Shanvere, eight, made Kate roar with laughter as he held open the tent flap for her and said: 'After you.'

'What a gentleman,' she said.

She was in fits of giggles again when the children told her that they had been a little scared on their first night out under the stars.
    'What were you scared of? That a spider might creep in?' She asked.

'A mole,' said Zahid with enormous seriousness.

'Oh no have you never seen a mole before?' the Duchess asked.

As she left the tent she asked Zahid and his friend, Faith Kalala, nine, whether they had enjoyed breakfast outside. 'Thank you for showing me your bedroom,' she said.

Then it was out along a muddy path to the woods where the rest of the group were busy making shelters and camp fires.
    The Duchess marvelled at their efforts 'Gosh, this is brilliant did you make it from things you found in the woods?' she asked.

The youngsters showed Kate around their tipi, and even told her they were nervous on their first night sleeping outside Ooh! Put that finger down Kate!

Outdoor type: Kate sits around the campfire with the group of schoolchildren

She gamely crawled inside one of the shelters, sitting down in the dirt with the youngsters.

One could be heard telling her he had been 'dead scared to go to the toilet' the night before.

Kate and the children were then shown how to make dough sticks over the camp fire, with the Duchess even trying a small bit of the smokey bread, which had been wrapped around a stick and cooked, and declaring it 'very nice'. She's eating bread!! SHOCKER!!!!

Some of the children asked her about her job and she replied:'It's very busy and great fun but I am very well looked after.'

Another asked her how long she would sit on the throne to which Kate said tactfully: 'It's not actually my job yet!'

Kate tried some of the food the children had made on their campfire

ARK spokesman Lesley Smith said the children had enjoyed themselves tremendously.
    'Many of the children here live in flat with no gardens and little area to play. This has been such an experience for them.'
    Tigerlily Smith, eight, said the Duchess had been lovely. 'We asked how it felt to be a princess and she said it was very nice and she got to visit lots of countries but hadn't seen as many as William. She said William was very sweet and kind and spoiled her.'
    Alpha Kolajo, nine added: 'We told her about our camping and how we made our shelter and she was very impressed'

Read more: Kate Middleton: Duchess of Cambridge mucks in on children's camping trip | Mail Online

I've removed the BS about her wearing £300 wellies, and some of the other filler, but I wanted to leave the charity stuff.
    Brookie and Waterslide like this.

Seems to me she always just fits right in and has a great time.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think the Daily Fail is exaggerating the price of her boots.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_...rnid=363839011
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I think the Daily Fail is exaggerating the price of her boots.
    Amazon.co.uk: Women, Le Chameau Wellington Boots
    Or using the Times as its source material
    Will Kate kick off a war of the wellies?

The Duchess of Cambridge has switched to an expensive brand of French wellington boot. How soon before the rest of us follow suit?

In step: the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer, wearing Hunters, in 1981 Photo: PHOTONEWS SCOTLAND/ REX FEATURES

By Iain Hollingshead

6:59AM GMT 03 Jan 2012
    20 Comments

How much can you tell about someone from their choice of wellington boot? Quite a lot, apparently, if the rubber-clad pins in question belong to the Duchess of Cambridge.

Before Christmas she was spotted wearing a pair of £300 “Vierzonord” Le Chameau boots to watch her husband play in a football match. Commentators have pointed out that she used to wear the cheaper Hunter variety and that this switch in loyalties is “typical of a more sophisticated angle to the Duchess’s style”. They also picked up on the fashion faux pas of Prince Harry watching his brother in the same make of boots as his sister-in-law – not as faux a pas, surely, as if he’d turned up wearing, say, the same Zara dress, accessorised with a novelty swastika?

So can we expect to see the “Kate effect” – last week it was reported that Reiss, the high street clothing store, had almost doubled its profits this year, thanks to the Duchess regularly wearing its dresses – mirrored in the world of luxury semi-waterproof footwear? Probably not, says Luke Leitch, deputy fashion editor at The Telegraph. “They’re too expensive. And Hunter have pretty much sewn up the wellington boot market.”

Were you aware that there was a wellington boot market? I wasn’t. If pressed, I might have hazarded a guess that they were all once made by Mr (or perhaps Lord) Wellington, much as vacuum cleaners were all made by Mr (or perhaps President) Hoover. But research the industry further and it’s surprisingly interesting – and unsurprisingly ludicrous.

The first part, of course, everyone knows. In the early 19th century the dapper first Duke of Wellington, anxious to accessorise his novelty full-length trousers with a versatile boot capable of being worn into battle as well as into drawing rooms, commissioned a low-heeled calf boot of soft leather. It caught on, adopted by the gentry, the police and the Armed Forces. After the Second World War, during which they were standard army issue, the ill-fitting “Argyll” black wellington boot became de rigueur for labourers.

Vierzonords goes for £200 plus but I know (not rich) people that spend that on outdoors boots.
    Waterslide likes this.

It's a cute story. I don't really care how much the boots cost. It's not as if she'll never wear them again and she'll probably donate them at some point.
    Waterslide likes this.

Very cute!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Gotta love the kids. They couldn't care less about this photo op.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Hair is too pageant queen
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

The kids don't look impressed at all lol
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

this story is so sweet. Seems like kids are her thing and she seems great with them. I love how kids don't trip over their words in the presence of The Duchess. As for the boots, I don't care how much they cost, and neither do the children. It's immaterial.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Or using the Times as its source material

Vierzonords goes for £200 plus but I know (not rich) people that spend that on outdoors boots.
    Funny, I saw her photo and immediately thought I'd seen Diana in a similar outfit. Thanks for posting it.

Thread Information