Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I have a problem with Islam

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Well, my memory is awful. Who was it who pointed out that Jesus never mentioned homosexuality? That if it was such a society-threatening evil, shouldn't Jesus have told us what to do about it?

The "good news" about Christianity is that we are not bound by all those rules & rituals of the Old Testament. I don't understand people who want to pick & choose little pieces of it to hold on to for dear life.

I don't either. It's supposedly to be total freedom as long as you're honoring the big ten. If you read the accounts of the life of Jesus you'll see he did stuff forbidden by the Old Testament and his culture all the time. Remember when he and his disciples picked and ate wheat on the Sabbath? How about that time he spoke alone to the loose woman at the well? Those were serious enough affronts to the society/culture/religion in his time to mark him as a radical.

Red face

Jeez...I am so embarrassed by the title of this thread and people will not let it die~~~!!! ( I could have been a little more *pc* when I came up with a title I think..)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

You would have to go back to the middle ages to find something comparable in the 'western' world
    That's what I try to remind people who say Christianity is just as bad when it comes to killing people in mass numbers. Maybe, but if what Christians did centuries ago mirrors the shit 'modern' Muslim countries are doing present day, what does that say about them as a culture? Stone age with machetes as far as I'm concerned.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    If those false representatives of that religion outnumber the supposed "true" representatives of said religion, then one could argue the negative IS the true representation.
    exactly.
    and that is sort of very embarrassing for that community i thinkg.

Sort of very embarrassing?

Because someone calls himself a Christian but doesn't act like one? What?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

embarrassing in the sense that the "true" representation is rather negative, intolerant etc..
    tho i wouldn't by any means limit that to one religion.
    it might be said to apply to many different religions, they are all intolerant of the same things, you know?
    i find it unseemly and distasteful, sorry if that's offensive.

But they're NOT the "true" representatives. If they are going against the doctrine of the religion, logic dictates that they are NOT the true representatives. Despite the mistaken opinion of some people.

Elite Member

i apologize if i offend but as a straight girl in los angeles, i have many gay work colleagues etc...and most every extremely religious person they/we interact with has been unspeakable homophobic.
    it is very unsettling.
    sometimes i am at a total loss as to how to deal with them.
    it is like talking to someone with a language deficiency or somethng.
    they cannot comprhend basic facts of life and biology.
    agaibn, i am not trying to offend,
    this has been my experience, that's all..

I'm just talking logic here. Christianity (the faith itself) does not condemn homosexuals. People who do that, and then call themselves Christians, are NOT representing the religion accurately. There are lots of other examples.

The people you're describing, they may represent Christianity to you, but you have been misled by fakers. I suppose it's not your fault, because you aren't interested enough in religion to find out that they ARE fakers, so you just know what you've seen. I'm just telling you for the record that Jesus Christ did NOT condemn homosexuals. Can't speak for any other religions.

Do you see what I'm saying? People have always distorted their religions to suit their own purposes. That makes them the "true" representatives of Something Distorted. Not the religion.

To say people aren't true Christians is a logical fallacy. They're Christian if they believe in Jesus, and that's that. Otherwise it's the "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy.

But if they truly believed, wouldn't they try to live by his examples? Is saying that you believe enough?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    But if they truly believed, wouldn't they try to live by his examples? Is saying that you believe enough?
    The definition of a Christian is one who believes in Jesus, and that's the only qualifier needed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness View Post
    To say people aren't true Christians is a logical fallacy. They're Christian if they believe in Jesus, and that's that. Otherwise it's the "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy.
    Yawn. Some Muslims do the same thing, i.e., some people believe that if you simply repeat the Shahada, then you're Muslim. But you actually have to live the pillars, or you're not technically a Muslim. I agree with this. Just like I believe that people absolutely MUST live by the precepts of Christianity or don't call themselves a Christian. Hebrew law (that's Old Testament BIBLE, you thumpers!) forbade sex with animals and another man. It did NOT say that people would go to hell or be eternally damned if they did.

Furthermore, Jesus came along later and preached forgiveness and redemption.

GET IT??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Yawn. Some Muslims do the same thing, i.e., some people believe that if you simply repeat the Shahada, then you're Muslim. But you actually have to live the pillars, or you're not technically a Muslim. I agree with this. Just like I believe that people absolutely MUST live by the precepts of Christianity or don't call themselves a Christian. Hebrew law (that's Old Testament BIBLE, you thumpers!) forbade sex with animals and another man. It did NOT say that people would go to hell or be eternally damned if they did.

Furthermore, Jesus came along later and preached forgiveness and redemption.

GET IT??!!
    It doesn't matter though. It would be a logical fallacy to say they're not a /true/ Christian, because all you need to do is believe in Jesus to be a "true" Christian. Otherwise it's a logical fallacy. I didn't make up the rules.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I stand along with others here by saying that people need to live by the precepts of Christianity in order to be a true Christian.

Otherwise, why we would study the Bible and why would Jesus preach anything?

It's actually a logical fallacy to assert that none of the above is relevant or true!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information