Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Muslim?

Quote Originally Posted by serenity
    I'm sorry, but when I hear the word Muslim or Islam, lots of negative comes to my mind. I hope things will change also.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with this comment. I think of people who would hate me and have me stoned to death or something for being the person I am. really very sad isn't it.

A*O

To be fair, a lot of fundamentalist Christians feel the same way about homosexuals, and they are equally mistaken. Ditto their attitude to women, despite their protestations to the contrary. I'm not making excuses here, any kind of inequality, intolerance or bigotry is 'un-Godly" IMO no matter what you call Him.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    To be fair, a lot of fundamentalist Christians feel the same way about homosexuals, and they are equally mistaken. Ditto their attitude to women, despite their protestations to the contrary. I'm not making excuses here, any kind of inequality, intolerance or bigotry is 'un-Godly" IMO no matter what you call Him.
    But even though some fundamentalist Christians have different views on things, they do not kill people, torture people or stone them because they do differ. They do not treat women like slaves and make them walk around covered because the men are like sex addicts and can't control their lustful thoughts. I feel there is a big difference here, but yes, both un-Godly, and one is downright evil and this is what comes to my mind when I think of Muslim or Islam.

Silver Member

I'm sorry, but when I hear the word Muslim or Islam, lots of negative comes to my mind. I hope things will change also.
    Well,that is because your media represents Islam in a negative light.

That is what the West always does in representing their foes. You probably would have thought this way about Russians and those living under communism during the Cold War.

Silver Member

But even though some fundamentalist Christians have different views on things, they do not kill people, torture people or stone them because they do differ. They do not treat women like slaves and make them walk around covered because the men are like sex addicts and can't control their lustful thoughts. I feel there is a big difference here, but yes, both un-Godly, and one is downright evil and this is what comes to my mind when I think of Muslim or Islam.
    But that is not Islam.

It is more of societal and cultural practices.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeleyed_Honey
    Well,that is because your media represents Islam in a negative light.

That is what the West always does in representing their foes. You probably would have thought this way about Russians and those living under communism during the Cold War.
    Although the media might be partly to blame, a lot of the people there (and there seems to be a lot of them), represent themselves in a negative light by the horrid things they do and the way they think. I do realize, there are good people everywhere.

Have you forgotten about the Crusades?? Sure, that was hundreds of years ago, but it's still a part of the history of Christianity. Even today, there are fundamentalist Christians who are just downright un-Godly in how they judge and condemn people. And what about fundamentalist Christian White Supremacists?? They're all about torturing and killing all us non-whites!

Default Re: Muslim?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeleyed_Honey View Post
    But that is not Islam.

But if they're taking their clues from the Quran how can it not be Islam? Aren't they trying to do exactly as Allah instructed them?

RIP Pim Fortyn

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by savansa View Post
    But if they're taking their clues from the Quran how can it not be Islam? Aren't they trying to do exactly as Allah instructed them?

RIP Pim Fortyn
    The thing is that in the Middle East,there is no seperation of the Church and the State.

So,now think of the U.S. as being based on biblical law. The punishments would consist of burning, hanging,stoning,etc...

Actually, in Islam,there is no stoning. It is not even mentioned there.

It is more of a societal practice because even before Islam came along, that is how it is was in the Middle East and South East Asian countries. Also, the Middle East is not as secular like here in North America and they are under dictatorship and authoratarian regimes.

Think of the Middle Ages and how when there was no separation between the Church and the State,you'd have the Church using the Bible to justify their reasonings of making women inferior. When infact, they'd twist these logics and distort the Bible to pursue their own agenda. Think of the Middle East as being stuck in the Middle Ages and using the Qur'an like the Church in Europe did back then.

The thing is that in the Middle East,there is no seperation of the Church and the State.

So,now think of the U.S. as being based on biblical law. The punishments would consist of burning, hanging,stoning,etc...

Actually, in Islam,there is no stoning. It is not even mentioned there.

It is more of a societal practice because even before Islam came along, that is how it is was in the Middle East and South East Asian countries. Also, the Middle East is not as secular like here in North America and they are under dictatorship and authoratarian regimes.

Think of the Middle Ages and how when there was no separation between the Church and the State,you'd have the Church using the Bible to justify their reasonings of making women inferior. When infact, they'd twist these logics and distort the Bible to pursue their own agenda. Think of the Middle East as being stuck in the Middle Ages and using the Qur'an like the Church in Europe did back then.

not a happy world,that's for sure.
    Coffee is my happy drug

But that is not Islam.

I agree. my muslim friends are wonderful people. and they truly respect my jewish faith. In fact, they are shocked by similarities between the 2 religions. That is what makes me so sad when i hear about extremists wanting to annihilate Jews.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Well, given that both Christianity and Islam sprang from Judaeism and that they're all essentially the same religion, it's no wonder.

It's a case of version 1, ver. 1.2 and ver. 1.3 ;P
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

annoyance. frustration. bad treatment of women.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well, given that both Christianity and Islam sprang from Judaeism and that they're all essentially the same religion, it's no wonder.

It's a case of version 1, ver. 1.2 and ver. 1.3 ;P
    This is what's so crazy about this inter-faith hatred. These three religions are based on the same fundamental texts and beliefs and it's really only a matter of interpretation otherwise. All three believe in one supreme God, all have the same basic teachings about charity, love, compassion, respect, forgiveness etc. All three acknowledge the existence of Jesus and Mohammed, whether he was the Messiah or just another prophet. It's so sad that with so much common ground we still find ourselves in such diametrically opposite positions. God help us all.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I live in south africa, I dont know much about the Muslim faith, but i just remember when the twin towers went down, all our Muslim staff cheered whilst listening to the radio. I was saddened and it made me so angry.
    The 911 attacks media coverage is some of my only 'knowledge' so i suppose what you guys are saying is true - selective media coverage makes us biased.

I have spoken to some of the women though, and i always felt a sense of being 'trapped' in their lives, little or no choice, and very submissive people to their husbands. Not happy at all.
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information