Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Church attendance in the U.S. is now double the Canadian average

Hi! I'm New Here!

It is interesting that many things that made Canada great were strongly influenced by these insane, radical "religious" people you all condemn...universal health care, peace making military, hospitals, care for homeless and social support for many marginalized people. Statistically, the vast majotity of Canadians beieve in God, many are pacifists, and most are anti-instution (government, church, etc). I know of good and bad religious people and good and bad non-religious. Be careful how broad the brush is that you freely label people with.

*twirls finger*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by utheguy View Post
    It is interesting that many things that made Canada great were strongly influenced by these insane, radical "religious" people you all condemn...universal health care, peace making military, hospitals, care for homeless and social support for many marginalized people. Statistically, the vast majotity of Canadians beieve in God, many are pacifists, and most are anti-instution (government, church, etc). I know of good and bad religious people and good and bad non-religious. Be careful how broad the brush is that you freely label people with.
    *Quickly chooses a bigger brush* ... just for fun!

Bronze Member

Nobody reported on it because nobody cares. In Canada, religion is a private matter and we have other things to report on.

Such as Bush's later blunder, or how Republican ideology destroyed the environment/economy/military.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Exactly, religion should be a private matter. Americans have to do everything "bigger & better" they are the Texas of nations.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Making a big deal out of anything in Canada is just considered.. tacky
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Making a big deal out of anything in Canada is just considered.. tacky
    then quit bitching about the polution we send your way

Canadians don't like that we go to church?
    J.K.Rowling blamed the U.S. for her not outting Dumbledore. American is the Bible belt. Oh my gosh she might not have sold those extra gazillion books because of those religious nuts across the pond.
    phfft

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    then quit bitching about the polution we send your way
    No no, you misunderstand. We're free to bitch about things, such as AMERICANS (our favorite passtime) and such.. but we aren't allowed to be boastful about any national accomplishments, we're supposed to downplay those because it's tacky and nobody likes a braggart. We go on our quiet, modest way with an air of superiority

Canadians don't like that we go to church?
    No, Canadians are appalled at the level of fundamentalist insanity south of the border. The whole 'evangelist' thing is considered showy, tacky, and eyeroll inducing.

J.K.Rowling blamed the U.S. for her not outting Dumbledore. American is the Bible belt. Oh my gosh she might not have sold those extra gazillion books because of those religious nuts across the pond.
    phfft
    Like you can burn them MORE on the bonfire.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No no, you misunderstand. We're free to bitch about things, such as AMERICANS (our favorite passtime)

so I've discovered

No, Canadians are appalled at the level of fundamentalist insanity south of the border. The whole 'evangelist' thing is considered showy, tacky, and eyeroll inducing.
    those ever tolerant Canadians, "accept me but I won't accept you" now how does that work because I want that card too.

Like you can burn them MORE on the bonfire.
    I don't believe any Potter books have been burned here, we did have a lady that wanted them out of public libraries but I'm not sure what ever happened about that. Personally I have never burned any book, fyi I own all the Potter books, tapes, movies.

Why does Americans going to church bother you? Perhaps thats the problem you need to address. You feel we are all ignorant because we believe? As I recall you praised Obama - our new Christian/Muslim president.

^^^
    no, it's because of the type of belief and the extent to which it permeates to public life and influences government. sure, some are moderate, but it's not like they're all episcopalians and moderate roman catholics. you've got this whole segment of the population that's all evangelists and singing and speaking in tongues and tacky mega-churches and the 700 club and fundie universities and creationism and anti-intellectualism and promise rings and virginity pledges and anti-abortion fanatics and meth-smoking, male-hooker-fucking preachers that then go away to be 'cured' of their homosexuality.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    no, it's because of the type of belief and the extent to which it permeates to public life and influences government. sure, some are moderate, but it's not like they're all episcopalians and moderate roman catholics. you've got this whole segment of the population that's all evangelists and singing and speaking in tongues and tacky mega-churches and the 700 club and fundie universities and creationism and anti-intellectualism and promise rings and virginity pledges and anti-abortion fanatics and meth-smoking, male-hooker-fucking preachers that then go away to be 'cured' of their homosexuality.
    I tell you this... when you can tell me when God puts the soul in a pregnancy then I'll stop calling abortion murder.

all the things you mentioned, rings, tongues, church, singing is the actions of a believer - this nation was founded on the beliefs of God. I think it's rather funny how they want the word God removed from all government buildings... have you ever been to Washington D.C.? The men who wrote the Declaration of which our government is founded on were all men of faith.

While we are talking about abortion - my faith teaches it is wrong, I believe it is wrong. Yet my tax dollars pay for Planned Parenthood which not only gives information but it also pays for abortions.

It's those that rant about my faith who say to me "I want my rights" Well I want mine as well.

You have the right not to have an abortion per your beliefs. And that's fine just like it's fine for those who choose to have an abortion to do so as well.

^^^
    exactly.

and gapeach, it's called the separation of church and state.
    and if you think your country and christian beliefs are indivisible and that god should have a say in public matters, that's no different than sharia law. just because it's the christian version doesn't make it anything other than religion imposing and encroaching on public affairs and being used to make laws.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Don't like abortions?

Don't have one.

Don't like gay marriage?

Don't have one.

Don't like evolution?

Don't believe in it.

Voila.

I don't have a problem with religious people as long as they leave everybody else alone. They can be as religious as they want. They can believe what they want.

The second they start beating people over the head with those beliefs, or trying to shove them onto others through legislation.. that's when there's a problem.

Oh, and another point regarding the whole abortion thing: Let me know when you adopt any unwanted children. The whole "save the children till they're born and then fuck 'em" position is asinine and anybody who believes that's a responsible course of action in regards to children is a blithering idiot.

OCK

The men who wrote the Declaration of which our government is founded on were all men of faith.
    Those same men understood that religion does not belong in a government.
    BTW, I think you mean the men who signed the Constitution.
    ~~~Jesus please save me from your fanclub~~~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information