Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creationists continue to shove their religious crap into science class

Angry Creationists continue to shove their religious crap into science class

Parents are being encouraged to challenge their children's science teachers over what they are explaining as the origins of life.

An organisation called Truth in Science has also sent resource packs to all UK secondary school science departments.

It promotes the idea of intelligent design - that there was an intelligence behind the creation of the universe.

Humanists and a Christian think tank want the government to tell teachers to keep "a wholly scientific perspective".

The Department for Education and Skills (DfES) in England has said it does not endorse the resources sent out by Truth in Science.

It said the fossil record was evidence for evolution.

'Fresh opportunity'

Truth in Science challenges this, and says much of what is taught in school science lessons about the origin of the living world is "dogmatic and imbalanced".

In its cause, it refers to what the national curriculum in England says about pupils being taught "how scientific controversies can arise from different ways of interpreting empirical evidence (for example, Darwin's theory of evolution)".

It says few schools have done this.

But the new GCSE science syllabus that schools have begun teaching this term brings "a fresh opportunity to reconsider what is taught about origins".

It quotes the Edexcel examining board as explaining that students "need to adopt a critical, questioning frame of mind, going 'behind the scenes' to understand the workings of science and how it impacts on society and their lives".

The Truth in Science website says: "We consider that it is time for students to be permitted to adopt a critical approach to Darwinism in science lessons."

Parental advice

It tells parents that what their child is taught in school "may profoundly affect his or her attitudes and future life".

"Does your school take a fair and balanced approach to the teaching of origins in science?"

It suggests ways they can check up.

"If you wish to improve science education at your child's school, please point teachers towards this website."

The British Humanist Association and the progressive think tank Ekklesia have written to Education Secretary Alan Johnson, calling on the government to ensure teachers know that teaching material provided by Truth in Science "is not appropriate for school science".

Ekklesia co-director Simon Barrow said: "Reputable scientists and reputable theologians are clear that the anti-evolutionary ideas propagated by groups like this are in no way comparable to scientific theories of origins.

"The government and its inspectorate should have no truck with superstition in the modern science classroom."

A spokesperson for the DfES said: "Neither creationism nor intelligent design are taught as a subject in schools, and are not specified in the science curriculum.

"The national curriculum for science clearly sets down that pupils should be taught that the fossil record is evidence for evolution, and how variation and selection may lead to evolution or extinction."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/5392096.stm
    Keep your fucking sky fairy bullshit out of science class, unless you want your churches turned into laboratories.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If a theory cannot be tested and subjected to the scientific method, IT'S NOT SCIENCE!!! And since it's not science, you don't get to teach it in a science class! It is THEOLOGY, plain and simple.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

But isn't there such a thing as Christian science? Some ppl believe they can scientifically prove creationism I think...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Those people are deranged.

They also believe the earth is 6000 years old, despite the Sumerians having invented written language a couple thousand years before that.

idiots.

hate them all.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

But Jesus loves you...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Lil

Bloody hell. Didn't expect that over here.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

The retardation is spreading. Religious crazies should be sterilized or euthanized.

Lil

^^Maybe natural selection will get them. How neat would that be?
    A big boy did it and ran away.

No, they spread explained by my "how stupid people are breeding instead of dying off" theory.

To whit: Stupid and or physically inferior humans are coddled and supported by vast social safety nets instead, and of offing themselves through accidents or sheer dumb luck, bettering the human genome, they're spreading their stupid genes. Stupid people tend to be poor and have more children. They're outbreeding the rest of us because highly intelligent, career focused people have LESS children and are respectful of safe sex.

it sounds a little nazi-eugenics program, but it's faily accurate. It's not 100% because sometimes stupid people somehow give birth to intelligent children through recessive genes or whatnot.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I believe in creationism b/c I can create a big brown painful-to-pass clog in the toilet from 1 meal of breaded salmon and veggie stir-fry! I did it last nite so I must be divine!!

on a side note; when i first became aware of the internet in early high school I used to go on these different websites like imdb.com and amazon making comments like, "my sister ___________(her actual name) synthasized poop today!"

gawd i was such a fearless bad-ass

This is one of my all-time favourite articles:

Don Wise, professor emeritus of geosciences at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, is the nation's foremost proponent of ID. No, Wise isn't getting ready to testify on behalf of the school board in Dover, PA. Rather, he advocates for a different version of the acronym: "incompetent design."

Wise cites serious flaws in the systems of the human body as evidence that design in the universe exhibits not an obvious source of, but a sore lack of, intelligence. Seed asked him to chat about his theory, reactions he's received to it, and the anthem he penned to rally people to his cause.

Regarding incompetent design, why is the creator not intelligent?
    I didn't say that! We don't get into religion. The last thing we want to do is get into arguments of religion, a creator and so on. We're just: "Is there, or is there not, intelligence in the design?"
    Advertisement
    Click here!

So is there intelligence in the design?
    Yes! No, no there isn't. The thing that perhaps is closest to all of us is our own skeleton, and there are certainly all kinds of stupidity in our design. No self-respecting engineering student would make the kinds of dumb mistakes that are built into us.
    All of our pelvises slope forward for convenient knuckle-dragging, like all the other great apes. And the only reason you stand erect is because of this incredible sharp bend at the base of your spine, which is either evolution's way of modifying something or else it's just a design that would flunk a first-year engineering student.
    Look at the teeth in your mouth. Basically, most of us have too many teeth for the size of our mouth. Well, is this evolution flattening a mammalian muzzle and jamming it into a face or is it a design that couldn't count accurately above 20?
    Look at the bones in your face. They're the same as the other mammals' but they're just squashed and contorted by jamming the jaw into a face with your brain expanding over it, so the potential drainage system in there is so convoluted that no plumber would admit to having done it!
    So is this evolution or is this plain stupid design?

dentalxray.jpg Wise argues we have too many teeth for our mouth.

You must have received some serious criticism of your somewhat jestful theory?
    Well, I got one, which I showed at the Geological Society of America (GSA) meetings.
    An envelope postmarked Minneapolis, with monkeys all over it and inside it, with a great big blue ribbon, a note saying I had been awarded the "Moron of the Month" award, that I was a dork, an idiot, that only someone who thought their ancestors were monkeys would be dumb enough to say what I had, asking me if I wanted to debate it. It left an email address at "darwinistsaredumb@hotmail.com."
    These are the kind of things you NEVER really answer, but I couldn't resist. So I used the H.L. Menken approach:

Dear Sir,
    You should be aware that some idiot is writing absolute nonsense and signing your e-mail address to it. You should take action on this before your reputation is further sullied!

But most of the things I've gotten have been positive.

If you were to redesign things, how would you make design intelligent?
    Well, for one thing I would put fewer teeth in our mouths. I would put fewer bones in our face, so that it could drain properly. I would straighten up the pelvis so we wouldn't have to have that bend. I would certainly take out the appendix so we don't have that problem and the tonsils, too.
    And I did have one other. Some guy from Texas listed a number of things with this and he said, "Actually I would write more, but I have to go pee in Morse code, because some idiot designed my aging prostate."
    Intelligent designers and, in fact, everybody from the creationists and so on back to the beginning of the last century used to talk about the wonderful design of the eye—which somehow has all your receptor cells behind a membrane curtain!
    I mean, evolutionarily all of these things make sense but in terms of a reasonable, intelligent design? They're idiocy. So, the argument is there is no intelligence there in a lot of these things.

Some people argue that the system of evolution itself is some sort of intelligent design. Do you have any response to that?
    Again, you're dealing with the supernatural, and this is something that's not science. Basically we operate with questions that are answerable by evidence. Once you get into the supernatural there is no evidence. Anything can go one way or the other. So, I think it is just kind of nonsense to suggest otherwise, that there is no way you can prove it one way or another.

The song you wrote is wonderful. (Download a video of the song here.)

(Here are the lyrics, sung to the tune of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic")
    My bones proclaim a story of incompetent design.
    My back still hurts, my sinus clogs, my teeth just won’t align.
    If I had drawn the blueprint, I would cer-tain-ly resign.
    Incompetent Design!
    Evo-Evo-Evo-lution! Design is but a mere illusion.
    Darwin sparked our revolution. Science SHALL prevail!

The singers were all perfectly off-key.
    Oh, they're terrible!
    But I still had an audience of about 300 singing that lustily at the end of the GSA meeting in, I would think, at least four different keys and out of sync. Oh, it was gloriously terrible.
    http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/200..._id.php?page=2

Basically, if we were designed, whoever designed us isn't very intelligent at all.

^^ That's always been my contention.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm surprised the crazy religious shit is seeping over the border, but then, hot air does rise.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Yes, and shit floats.

About the teeth...my wisdom teeth never grew out and instead of having an even number of teeth I naturally have 27 (one missing and I didn't have any pulled out) so I don't think I had too many teeth to begin with. Am I more intelligently designed or what

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information