Thread: Hospital doesn't want to see Jesus depicted as Jewish

Default Hospital doesn't want to see Jesus depicted as Jewish

Published - Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Another view of Jesus: Artist argues ‘Rabbi Jesus’ paintings appropriate

By TERRY RINDFLEISCH / La Crosse Tribune
    The controversy over the Rabbi Jesus paintings briefly on display at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center this past weekend boils down to perception of what’s appropriate.

Clara Maria Goldstein, president of the Eastbank Artists, said she didn’t find anything wrong about the 10 oil paintings of the Rabbi Jesus she hung Friday night at the hospital.

Eastbank Artists regularly display their work in the medical center lobby, she said, and she chose what she thought was her best work for her turn. She is doing 25 paintings portraying the Jewish heritage of Jesus, she said.

But Kendra Riek, manager of Gundersen Lutheran Gift Shop, asked her to take down the paintings Sunday because they were inappropriate for the medical center and could be controversial. Goldstein removed them Sunday night.

A release by Gundersen Lutheran stated the hospital respects people of all faiths and acknowledges “an artist’s right to express their

personal beliefs through their work.”

But the hospital also has “an obligation to determine what is appropriate for our diverse patient population, and our healing environment,” according to the statement.

Eastbank Artists know Gundersen Lutheran policy allows them to decide what is appropriate, Goldstein said. The policy also asks that artists keep patients and families in mind and choose suitable subjects.

“It’s a series of paintings I wanted to display because they have meaning and a message,” Goldstein said. “I don’t know why my paintings are not appropriate. Why are paintings of Jesus as a Jew not appropriate when paintings of a non-Jewish Jesus is acceptable?

“While some may say the paintings are controversial, they are actually more authentic,” she said. “The problem is Jesus has never been portrayed in this way.”

Her paintings include Jesus celebrating Hanukkah and his bar mitzvah, Mary preparing Jesus for circumcision, the 10 Commandments, the Shroud of Yom Kippur, the 12 apostles as Jews, Jesus affirming his Bible at the cross and Rabbi Jesus saying to love one another.

Goldstein said other artists have displayed religious paintings at Gundersen Lutheran in the past.

“I think it’s case where people are afraid of new things,” she said.

She said Gundersen Lutheran definitely is not anti-Semitic and embraces all religions in its medical care.

“I love the doctors and the wonderful care I get at Gundersen Lutheran,” Goldstein said. “It’s a great hospital. Gundersen got in the middle of this when it branded my paintings as inappropriate.”
    Paintings: http://www.lacrossetribune.com/jesuspaintings/
    Source of article: http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ews/00lead.txt

---------------

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

NEWSBREAK TO Gundersen Lutheran: Jesus WAS a Jew!!!!

Anywho, the Jesus in the picture still is the 'Roman' variety - doesn't look Jewish at all..

i see nothing wrong with any of these pictures. maybe if Jesus was protrayed as Jewish a little more often the anti-semitism of the world would decrease. He was referred to as Rabbi in the Bible.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

Just another prime example of how people ingest dogma, and are hostile to anything that varies from that. Wouldn't Jesus have actually been much more arab looking, anyway (if historical accounts are correct)? Give me a break. If people invested even half as much energy in practicing tolerance, acceptance, and open-mindedness as they do fussing over religious trivialities that are probably contrived anyway, they'd realize how petty and ridiculous the stuff they argue about is.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

This whole thing just makes me sputter in an incomprehensible manner.

I would like these people to tell Jesus to his face that his heritage is unacceptable.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

And the world gets a little bit more stupid...
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    Just another prime example of how people ingest dogma, and are hostile to anything that varies from that. Wouldn't Jesus have actually been much more arab looking, anyway (if historical accounts are correct)? Give me a break. If people invested even half as much energy in practicing tolerance, acceptance, and open-mindedness as they do fussing over religious trivialities that are probably contrived anyway, they'd realize how petty and ridiculous the stuff they argue about is.
    no he woud not look "arab". he was Jewish thru and thru. He would look like a middle-eastern Jew. The Bible states he was not attractive, which fulfilled the OT prophecy regarding the Messiah.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

Actually, he would look semetic, and there is a prominent line of semetic arabs as well, so it's impossible to say that he wouldn't have looked arab. In fact, the Jews and the Arabs are the only Semetic peoples left in the world.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Do Arabs and Israelis really look all that different?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcfa.htm

That site shows a picture of a reconstrunction of an israeli skull dating back to the first century AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinium View Post
    no he woud not look "arab". he was Jewish thru and thru. He would look like a middle-eastern Jew. The Bible states he was not attractive, which fulfilled the OT prophecy regarding the Messiah.
    I hate to do this (I'm honestly not trying to be contentious) but I have to ask, do you take the Bible literally, word-for-word? I'm just curious, I won't argue about it, (unless you want to). I'm interested.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Silver Member

Um...

Jesus Looked Arab. Sorry but the only difference between a middle eastern Jew and a middle eastern Arab was religion.

If you put a Lebanese person and an Israeli Person together in a room, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Oh and if you REALLY want to cause an Uproar, put a picture of Mary BREASTFEEDING Baby Jesus.
    People freak OUT at that idea, because, you know, ancient formula and all.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Ancient formula!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...crack me up!

--Sinclair Lewis

Well in my mind, Jesus is blue. Especially with all the crap that's going on. Kinda like a mood ring. Just like me!

Thread Information