Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Little Boy Who Claimed to Die and Visit Heaven Admits He Made It Up

Default Little Boy Who Claimed to Die and Visit Heaven Admits He Made It Up

Little Boy Who Claimed to Die and Visit Heaven Admits He Made It Up

There's nothing God hates more than a liar, and that's exactly what Alex Malarkey—protagonist and co-author of The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven—has just copped to being. In an open letter posted on a Christian website Tuesday, the alleged paradise tourist says "I did not die. I did not go to Heaven." Wow, we have a little sinner on our hands.

The book, probably hoping to make hay of the vast American Gullibility Industrial Complex that made Heaven Is For Real a successful text and movie (and a family called the Burpos very rich), has been mainstay in Christian book stores, theWashington Post reports. No longer:

The bestselling book, first published in 2010, describes what Alex experienced while he lay in a coma after a car accident when he was 6 years old. The coma lasted two months and his injuries left him paralyzed, but the book — with its assuring description of "Miracles, Angels, and Life beyond This World" — became part of a popular genre of "heavenly tourism," which has been controversial among orthodox Christians.

Earlier this week, Alex recented [sic] his testimony about the afterlife.

This very true story, which has an outstanding 4.3 rating on Amazon and many glowing (like an angel's crown) reviews, includes passages like this one:

"The devil's mouth is funny looking, with only a few moldy teeth. And I've never noticed any ears. His body has a human form, with two bony arms and two bony legs. He has no flesh on his body, only some moldy stuff. His robes are torn and dirty. I don't know about the color of the skin or robes—it's all just too scary to concentrate on these things!"

How could someone make all that up? But in an open letter on the website Pulpit and Pen, Alex wrote that this did not actually happen to him. He didn't visit the Devil, or God, or Heaven—he didn't even die! What the heck:

"An Open Letter to Lifeway and Other Sellers, Buyers, and Marketers of Heaven Tourism, by the Boy Who Did Not Come Back From Heaven."

Please forgive the brevity, but because of my limitations I have to keep this short.

I did not die. I did not go to Heaven.

I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.

It is only through repentance of your sins and a belief in Jesus as the Son of God, who died for your sins (even though he committed none of his own) so that you can be forgiven may you learn of Heaven outside of what is written in the Bible…not by reading a work of man. I want the whole world to know that the Bible is sufficient. Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough.

In Christ,
    Alex Malarkey."

This makes Colton Burpo the only little adorable liar to still claim he died, saw God, and then came back and cashed in.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

His last name is Malarkey? Well that kinda says it all, doesn't it?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Is this from the Onion? The best part is his name is Malarkey.

I love that he hadn't read the bible before he became a Christian poster boy, but now that he's a big fat liar he's suddenly a believer. How convenient!

eta Trixie beat me to it!
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

little asshole.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

duh. his name's malarkey though and that's fucking awesome so i'll give him a pass.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

He's going to hell now!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Hell? Malarkey!

faithanne, now you made me check to make sure this wasn't from the Onion!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

In this article the mom is stating the kid never got paid and started making waves last April. Meanwhile the dad was on twitter promoting himself all summer. The parents are divorced.
    https://twitter.com/kevin_malarkey

‘Boy Who Came Back From Heaven’ going back to publisher - The Washington Post

‘Boy Who Came Back From Heaven’ going back to publisher
    By Ron Charles January 15 at 5:32 PM 

Tyndale House, a major Christian publisher, has announced that it will stop selling “The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven,” by Alex Malarkey and his father, Kevin Malarkey.

The best-selling book, first published in 2010, describes what Alex experienced while he lay in a coma after a car accident when he was 6 years old. The coma lasted two months, and his injuries left him paralyzed, but the subsequent spiritual memoir — with its assuring description of “Miracles, Angels, and Life beyond This World” — became part of a popular genre of “heavenly tourism,” which has been controversial among orthodox Christians.

Earlier this week, Alex recanted his testimony about the afterlife. In an open letter to Christian bookstores posted on the Pulpit and Pen Web site, Alex states flatly: “I did not die. I did not go to Heaven.”

Referring to the injuries that continue to make it difficult for him to express himself, Alex writes, “Please forgive the brevity, but because of my limitations I have to keep this short…. I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.”

This evening, Todd Starowitz, public relations director of Tyndale House, told The Washington Post: “Tyndale has decided to take the book and related ancillary products out of print.”

Last April, Alex’s mother, Beth Malarkey, posted a statement on her own blog decrying the memoir and its promotion: “It is both puzzling and painful to watch the book ‘The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven’ not only continue to sell, but to continue, for the most part, to not be questioned.” She goes on to say that the book is not “Biblically sound” and that her son’s objections to it were ignored and repressed. She also notes that Alex “has not received monies from the book nor have a majority of his needs been funded by it.”

She ends in obvious frustration, writing: “Alex’s name and identity are being used against his wishes…. How can this be going on??? Great question…. How did it get this far?… another great question.”

Then at this link we learn the mom has been fighting this and responding to people who reviewed the book.
    The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven: Update
    (Editor’s note: This piece is an excellent example of the Evangelical tendency to dramatize or even outright lie in order to have a testimony convincing enough to reach the ‘unsaved’ Lying for Jesus. This child’s father is despicable for making money off his son’s tragedy and giving not one penny of the monies made towards the long term care this child needs.)

Read more: The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven: Update
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

The devil's mouth is funny looking, with only a few moldy teeth.
    No way is that part true, hell must be full of dentists

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Like Dr Giggles. Ugh
    gas_chick and I'mNotBitter like this.

Elite Member

I can't be too mad at a 6 year old boy who lied. I blame the parents for perpetuating it.

Didn't Kevin Burpo do the same thing and later recanted his story? (He was the one that did the "Heaven is Real" book and later movie). Neither of these kids were anywhere NEAR clinically dying and both seem to be heavily influenced by their over the top religious family.

It's a shame that the families and the churches are using them like this. They are only little kids.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

No, Colton Burpo did not recant.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Actually I watched the movie Bluebonnet. (Long and crazy story but I am married to a Fundamentalist Tea Party Christian-oh the Irony!!!!) I study everything about all kinds of religion for some reason, so I watched that movie and bitched the entire time.

Anywho, how convenient it was for that Colton kid (sorry, not Kevin) to view Heaven just exactly how his preacher father had explained it to him. And again....the kid did NOT clinically die.

And don't forget, he was a weird sidewalk kid preacher before he "went to heaven" and sat on Jesus's lap.

My husband sat right next to me watching the same movie, and kept going "Yep!"
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information