Thread: Do parties and religion mix?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Do parties and religion mix?

Here's an interesting story I heard today: a kid was invited to a birthday party that was set for 11:30 on a Sunday. One of his classmates told the birthday boy's mother that he couldn't come to the party because he had to go to church. She suggested he come after church and maybe have some cake. He answered that he wasn't allowed to go to any parties on a Sunday.

Thoughts, people?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I never heard of anything like that!

Neither have I...really wierd if you ask me.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Well for many Christians Sunday is a day of Sabbath, a holy day and so i could understand how a party may be off limits.

Huh? Does God not like cake or children having fun? Is that actually in the bible?

--Sinclair Lewis

So if your birthday falls on a Sunday, you can't enjoy it on the appropriate day huh? Silly really.

A*O

If you asked an observant Jew to a party on Saturday the answer would probably be "no" too.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I know some pretty extreme Xians but I don't know any that would pass up the opportunity for a party post-church. The ones I go to church with would welcome it. The way the law of keeping the Sabbath holy was explained to me was that as long as you did no housework beyond minimal food preperation and did no actual work that you do for money you were free to enjoy things. That not only is it a day to honor God but the main thrust of the day was that it was a day of rest, denoting that you could do pleasurable things that are relaxing, i.e. hobbies, going for a long walk in the park, picnics, visiting with friends, etc.

A*O

I have a Jewish friend who keeps a very strict Shabbat - no work obviously, but no manual work (including cooking), and no 'operating machinery' which includes no turning on the TV, no puter/telephone obviously, no turning on lights even, no iPod/walkman, etc and no driving. They get round it in typical ingenious Jewish fashion by putting all the TV in a timeswitch and getting their young son (un Bar Mitzvah'd yet and therefore 'unJewish') to change the channels! They eat in Kosher restaurants who employ gentiles to cook and serve the food on Shabbat. Basically, they spend the day going to services, reading, sleeping and taking long walks as far a I can tell!
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I have a Jewish friend who keeps a very strict Shabbat - no work obviously, but no manual work (including cooking), and no 'operating machinery' which includes no turning on the TV, no puter/telephone obviously, no turning on lights even, no iPod/walkman, etc and no driving. They get round it in typical ingenious Jewish fashion by putting all the TV in a timeswitch and getting their young son (un Bar Mitzvah'd yet and therefore 'unJewish') to change the channels! They eat in Kosher restaurants who employ gentiles to cook and serve the food on Shabbat. Basically, they spend the day going to services, reading, sleeping and taking long walks as far a I can tell!
    they are messing with the rules . their son shouldn't be turning on lights,he is fully jewish even though he is not 13, and how do they pay for the restaurant food?

I'm not being critical-i suck at keeping shabbat.
    Coffee is my happy drug

A*O

LOL - I know Rules are made to be broken but they seem to pick and choose these ones or bend them to suit. I think they pay for meals in advance, or run a tab (maybe Uncle Morty owns the restaurant).

ReinaBikipatra

I was in elementary school for a couple of years with a Jehovah's Witness. She was not allowed to have candy or snacks on the days we had class parties. She had to sit and watch us drink fruit punch and eat cookies. HOWEVER, her family thought it was okay for the teacher to give her a stash of candy the NEXT school day after our festivities.

Jehovah's are the limit. My aunt became one and although they are allowed to celebrate anniversaries, they aren't allowed to celebrate xmas or bdays. So a few days before or after the event, she would give the kids 'love gifts'. Completely hypocritical. And have you ever been to a Jehovah Witness wedding? Make friends with someone who is a member of this 'faith' just so you can get an invite. It is not to be missed.

--Sinclair Lewis

A*O

Ohhhhh what happens??

I'm at work...I'll write all about it later...

--Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information