Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Dominos start to tumble: Church resignations begin

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Dominos start to tumble: Church resignations begin

Church leaders who took part in the sex scandal that has rocked the Catholic Church are facing judgment day.

Pope Benedict XVI has accepted the resignation of Bishop James Moriarty of Co. Kildare in Ireland, and another two have offered themselves up for similar dismissal.

Auxiliary bishops Eamonn Walsh and Ray Field, both located in Dublin, were also found to have taken part in a Church coverup to protect members of the clergy accused of abusing children, according to an Irish government-ordered investigation published last year.

"The truth is that the long struggle of survivors to be heard and respected by church authorities has revealed a culture within the Church that many would simply describe as unchristian," Moriarty said in a statement. "This has been profoundly dispiriting for all who care about the church."

The November report did not directly criticize Moriarty, but the bishop offered his resignation after accepting he should have taken personal responsibility for challenging the bishops' practice of keeping abuse complaints within the church.

In the last few months, two other Irish bishops, Bishop John Magee and Bishop Donal Murray, stepped down. Demands for more to resign, including Ireland’s Cardinal Sean Brady, continue.

Elsewhere in Europe, Germany's Bishop Walter Mixa has offered his resignation amid accusations he struck children, the BBC reported.

The alleged assaults occurred at a Catholic children's home during the 1970s and ’80s. He has not been accused of any sexual abuse.

"I ask the forgiveness of all those to whom I may have been unfair and to those who I may have caused heartache," Bishop Mixa wrote to the Pope on Wednesday.

In England, Archbishop Vincent Nichols issued a statement condemning the child abuse scandal, and expressing his “sorrow” to its victims.

"Catholics are members of a single universal body. These terrible crimes, and the inadequate response by some church leaders, grieve us all," he said in a statement.

"We express our heartfelt apology and deep sorrow to those who have suffered abuse, those who have felt ignored, disbelieved or betrayed."

The resignation of Moriarty comes a day after the Pope promised "church action" in dealing with the child sex scandal during his weekly public audience in St. Peter's Square.

Read more: Judgement day: Pope Benedict XVI accepts resignation of Irish Bishop Moriarty, two others may go

You have to see the picture of the Irish dude at the link. Scary, scary, scary.

I dont think this is enough, by the way. So a bunch of old guys resign? What about all the others still on duty? And does this mean they'll face charges? Or will people think this is 'punishment enough'?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Yeah, he looks like a real spiritual leader.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

The snake still has its head, these are just the fall guys.

I want that rat-fuck arrested too.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Indeed.

It's interesting that the Irish priests are falling on their swords, but the US priests dug in their heels, lied, covered up and litigated. (Not that there's anything especially nobel about admitting being a pedo).
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post

OMG! He looks like Father Jack Hackett from Father Ted!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvwNR3vF44&feature=channel[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post

I dont think this is enough, by the way. So a bunch of old guys resign? What about all the others still on duty? And does this mean they'll face charges? Or will people think this is 'punishment enough'?
    I'll be very surprised if we see anyone any higher up the food chain than an ordinary parish priest face charges, and I think that it is unlikely we will see that either. And I'm pretty sure that these guys will be well taken care of by the church following their "resignations". I'm sure that they'll be getting a nice little bundle slipped under the table at them for taking the fall.

Thread Information