Thread: Vicar tells women to 'submit to husbands'

Default Vicar tells women to 'submit to husbands'

A vicar and his curate have outraged women parishioners by urging women to “submit to your husbands” and allow male members of the familes to speak for them.

In a leaflet issued to parishoners, the Rev Angus MacLeay used passages in the Bible to justify women playing a submissive role in local church life. He urged women to “submit to their husbands in everything”.
    Mr MacLeay, a member of the General Synod, is opposed to the appointment of women bishops. He has campaigned vociferously for Reform, an Evangelical group that seeks to reform the Church of England “according to the Holy Scriptures”.
    The leaflet he issued It says at one point: “Wives are to submit to their husbands in everything in recognition of the fact that husbands are head of the family as Christ is head of the church.
    “This is the way God has ordered their relationships with each other and Christian marriage cannot function well without it."
    In a section called `More difficult passages to consider', it continues:
    "It would seem that women should remain silent....if their questions could legitimately be answered by their husbands at home."
    In a sermon days later, his curate, the Rev Mark Oden, a married father-of-three, built on the argument, sparking further controversy.
    He told his congregation at St Nicholas Church, Sevenoaks, Kent, that the behaviour of modern women was to blame for Britain’s high divorce rate.

He said: “We know marriage is not working. We only need to look at figures – one in four children have divorced parents.
    “Wives, submit to your own husbands.”
    The views of Mr MacLeay and his curate are understood to have prompted dozens of women parishioners to cancel their direct debit subscriptions to St Nicholas’s.
    One disenchanted female parishioner said she was “disgusted” by the sermon.
    “How can they talk that way in the 21st century?” she said. “No wonder the Church is losing touch if this is the kind of gobbledegook they want us to believe it.
    "I will not be going back to that church and will have to seriously consider my faith if this is the nonsense they are spouting now."
    Another woman, who also asked to remain anonymous, said: "We're supposed to let out husbands talk for us and remain silent?
    "What kind of medieval sermon is that? We are not in the 15th Century. I have already cancelled by direct debit to the church."
    The rector was unavailable for comment.
    Mr Oden said: “I did not set out to unnecessarily offend people, but I stand by what God has said in his word, The Bible. “I am passionate about helping people

Vicar tells women to 'submit to husbands' - Telegraph

What God said in his word, or what man said God said in his word?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

This is actually pretty funny. I would love to have been there so I could have burst out laughing really, really loudly. Oh, and I think mr butt would approve about the silent bit.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Then it would boil down to "He said. He said"
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm done with submitting to a man's will. Next time one tries it he'll be waking up in Accident and Emergency wondering why he has a boot up his arse.

Elite Member

Ah-haa!

Sounds like an excerpt from an 1850's era Catholic brochure. Oh wait - yeah, they're still there.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I swear to God, I am more convinced than ever that you really have to be mentally ill or retarded not to see this shit for what it really is. Religion is the biggest hoodwink job in the history of human civilization. It's way worse than Bigfoot. I'd just as soon worship the Loch Ness Monster, at least it's cute.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe in God, but I hate religion. Especially vicars, priests,ministers,popes.... hypocrites.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    I believe in God, but I hate religion. Especially vicars, priests,ministers,popes.... hypocrites.
    You sound a lot like me in that respect. I have no doubt in there being a higher power and possibly one that is in a form that none of us can even conceptualize (in other words, not necessarily in the image of man as is commonly believed). I don't know all the hows and whys and i'm okay with that; no need to fill in the blanks with a bunch of pseudo mythology to explain what I don't understand. I also happen to think Jesus was real and probably very, very cool and way ahead of his time, but do not necessarily accept that he is divine and born of a virgin or that he was celibate/childless/never married, etc. I believe every living thing is connected in some way and I believe in spirits since I accept that energy can never die, only change forms. I do what I think is right because I want to and not because I'm afraid of sitting in a fire pit for eternity if I don't do what some man made science fiction book says I should.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I swear to God, I am more convinced than ever that you really have to be mentally ill or retarded not to see this shit for what it really is. Religion is the biggest hoodwink job in the history of human civilization. It's way worse than Bigfoot. I'd just as soon worship the Loch Ness Monster, at least it's cute.
    Personally, I picked Chupacabra to worship.

I think the ancient Egyptians were right. I'm fine with worshipping my cats.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    organized religion is the world's largest pyramid scheme
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Thread Information