Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Yale graduate student vanishes days before her wedding

Elite Member

Default re

Well...It is not that strange. One of the characteristics of Yale (I didn't go there, mind you, but have friends who did and I've seen the campus) is that it lies in a pretty urban (US code word for "black") setting. It is very much part of the city of New Haven, although much of the campus is organized into colleges (I think Oxford was used as a model).

Compared to many other ivy league schools, like Dartmouth or Princeton, it is not in some nice suburban or rural setting--it is plopped down in a post-industrial northeastern city. Students choose it because it is an excellent school, but some of the other ivies are in a nicer, safer setting. So safety is always a topic there.

Ironically, this young woman's working environment should have been very safe. Which just shows you.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusMoon View Post
    i know they have video cameras all around the outside of the school buildings.. i wonder if they have them inside and if any of this was caught on video, but they just aren't saying so yet.. i read that where she was found is only accessible by students and staff

so very sad for her family and loved ones..
    I heard on the Today show this morning that there are something like 70 surveillance cameras in the are she was, yet none captured her abduction. This is why they think it was a premeditated abduction/murder. Also, an access card was needed not only for the area she was working, but the basement area where the body was found...

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    My bet is on someone who works in building and maintenance--it sounds as though the body was well concealed and it took some doing to find it.

Regardless, it is very sad indeed. Hope they find the motherfucker and rip his balls off.
    Exactly. Someone in that capacity would know her schedule. They would have access to all areas of the building (in order to clean them or work on them). They might also appear nonthreatening to Annie until they finally decided to attack her.

The scary part is that the person would probably have also known where all the surveillance cameras were, in order to avoid them.

Here's the other thing with surveillance cameras, particularly, if they are IP-based. Most monitoring systems will only capture a certain number of frames per second (or even minute) in order to reduce the amount of storage that the video server has to have. For that reason, someone could potentially pass by a camera and never be "seen" by the system.

However, the ability of the security people to triangulate the day/time that she was killed, with whoever might have been around, might be pretty high. That's because the security logs would have the IDs of people who swiped into and out of the building at that time. Then, they can compare that with people who went by the cameras that were anywhere near the closet where her body was found. I think that, in the final analysis, there is just too much data available (too many cameras to avoid) for the killer to get away with it. Analyzing all the data will take a while, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Well...It is not that strange. One of the characteristics of Yale (I didn't go there, mind you, but have friends who did and I've seen the campus) is that it lies in a pretty urban (US code word for "black") setting. It is very much part of the city of New Haven, although much of the campus is organized into colleges (I think Oxford was used as a model).

Compared to many other ivy league schools, like Dartmouth or Princeton, it is not in some nice suburban or rural setting--it is plopped down in a post-industrial northeastern city. Students choose it because it is an excellent school, but some of the other ivies are in a nicer, safer setting. So safety is always a topic there.

Ironically, this young woman's working environment should have been very safe. Which just shows you.
    Ah ok. Yeah writing the article on it's own wasn't strange, it's just when you find out what happened to her it adds a bit of creepiness to it!

Elite Member

Default re

I know, that is what upsets me so! She knew how to be "street smart" but she probably felt very safe in her lab, with its limited access and all the surveillance cameras.

That is what bothers me. There are the things that most girls/women worry about--and then there are the other things that they probably don't even think about.

I feel like going out and doing some preemptive castration.

My wife frequently works in labs with guys, and says that it is often creepier within the secure lab setting than outside it.

Looks like they are zeroing in on a fellow student.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Police have identified a suspect in the killing of a person whose body was found stuffed behind a wall in a high-security laboratory building at Yale University, law enforcement sources told NBC News on Monday.

The suspect, a student, has defensive wounds, and failed a polygraph test, the sources said.

The body found Sunday in the Yale Medical School building is believed to be that of Annie Le, a 24-year-old native of Placerville, Calif. She was last seen in the building on Tuesday.

Police found the female body around 5 p.m. Sunday. An autopsy is being performed to verify that the body is Le's.

No fear
    Friends said the doctoral student -- who was due to get married on Sunday -- never showed signs of worry about her own personal safety at work, although she did express concerns about crime in New Haven in an article she wrote last year.

"I can't even imagine someone mad at Annie, much less wanting to hurt her," Laurel Griffeath said on the TODAY show on Monday.

Another friend, Jennifer Simpson said Le, a pharmacology student from Placerville, Calif., was friendly and affable to everyone.

"If she was concerned about (it) she would have said something to someone and they would have known," Jennifer Simpson told CBS' "The Early Show." "And Jon (her fiance) would have known, her family would have known, friends would have known."

"She was a people person," Simpson added. "She loved people. She loved life. We just can't imagine anybody wanting to harm Annie."

ID card needed
    The building where the body was found is part of the university medical school complex about a mile from Yale's main campus and is accessible to Yale personnel with identification cards. A network of some 75 video surveillance cameras are trained on every door.

Campus officials have said that the security network recorded Le entering the building by swiping her ID card about 10 a.m. Tuesday, and have been baffled before Sunday's gruesome discovery that she was never seen leaving.

The university planned a candlelight vigil at 8 p.m. Monday at the Ivy League university. The Yale Daily News says an e-mail to the Yale community invites participants to "bring a candle and join us in solidarity."

Yale President Richard Levin offered support to Le's family and her fiance, Columbia University graduate student Jonathan Widawsky. The couple was to marry Sunday in Syosset, N.Y., on Long Island's north shore.

"The family and fiance and friends now must suffer the additional ordeal of waiting for the body to be positively identified," Levin said.

Crime and safety
    Le wrote an article that was published in February in the medical school's magazine. The piece, titled "Crime and Safety in New Haven," compared higher instances of robbery in New Haven with cities that house other Ivy League schools. It also included an interview with Yale Police Chief James Perrotti, who offered advice such as "pay attention to where you are" and "avoid portraying yourself as a potential victim."

"In short, New Haven is a city and all cities have their perils," Le concludes. "But with a little street smarts, one can avoid becoming yet another statistic."

Le, who worked in a laboratory in the five-story building's basement, was reported missing last Tuesday. Her ID, money, credit cards and purse were found in her third-floor office.

More than 100 local, state and federal police had been searching the building for days, using blueprints to uncover any place where evidence or Le's body could be hidden.

Investigators on Saturday said they recovered evidence from the building, but would not confirm media reports that the items included bloody clothing.

On Sunday morning, a state police van drove down a ramp into the building's basement area. Authorities also sifted through garbage at a Hartford incinerator Sunday, looking through trash that was taken from the building in the days since Le went missing.

Yale students on Monday called the finding sad, but some said the discovery doesn't make them feel less safe at Yale.

Click for related content
    Read more news from across the U.S.

"Obviously it's a city and there are safety concerns," said 18-year-old Peter Spaulding, a student from Maryland. "It can happen anywhere. You have to go on with life."

Law student Lindsay Nash of West Chester, Pa., said she doesn't sense a heightened level of fear on campus.

"There's always an attention to safety here," she said. "I think there's perception that you need to be careful regardless."

Police: Student is suspect in Yale killing - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

SO SAD, i could see how it would be easy to do harm to her b/c she was small, and how awful. what could the possible motive have been?!

Ugh, this is awful I didn't have high hopes, but she was in my thoughts
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    SO SAD, i could see how it would be easy to do harm to her b/c she was small, and how awful. what could the possible motive have been?!

Sicko stalkers don't need a motive beyond doing what they want to do to someone.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so sad. I can't believe something so terrible could have happened in such a secure building.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My wife frequently works in labs with guys, and says that it is often creepier within the secure lab setting than outside it.
    I agree I don't know what it is about labs but they are f**king creepy as hell.

This poor girl. Her whole life ahead of her. All gone because of some sick bastard.

So, you're really never "safe". At her office, on a Tuesday morning and this happens?? How???

It sounds like police know who did this (probably the guy mentioned above). They are not taking the major steps they normally would of take if a murderer was at large.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information