Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Teen Who Killed Four People Got Off On Probation Because He's Rich

What if he was a poor kid whose parents were addicts or abusive? I bet that wouldn't be a defence.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

You can bet your ass it wouldn't. ^^

One year of rehab won't work. It isn't long enough to undo 16 years worth of growing an asshole. This is like the opposite of those feral kids in Australia. Anyone think those kids will be normal in one year?

There is a petition here to remove the judge. Of course our esteemed Rick Perry will only care if the judge (a woman) wants an abortion.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I thought that the kid was given one year of rehab as a start & will be on probation for a long time (10 yrs?).

A poor kid wouldn't get the same sentence ifo ky for the practical reasons that a) he would probably have to use a public defender and b) his parents wouldn't be able to afford $0.5m for the treatment centre, for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    What was unnerving according to those in the courtroom was his total lack of remorse. He left his once good friend in a paralyzed state,unable to speak,for the rest his life. Maybe he will change after he is removed from his parents. I hope so.
    His lack of reaction could be because of the trauma
    Free Charmed.

In Singapore they would have cut off his foot and they should here as well.

That doesn't sound civilized or even likely at all. Do you have a source for that?
    Novice, sputnik, Lalique and 1 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I thought that the kid was given one year of rehab as a start & will be on probation for a long time (10 yrs?).

A poor kid wouldn't get the same sentence ifo ky for the practical reasons that a) he would probably have to use a public defender and b) his parents wouldn't be able to afford $0.5m for the treatment centre, for starters.

His lack of reaction could be because of the trauma
    Maybe,but this ain't his first rodeo.When your own lawyer says you are emotionally flat....
    Kittylady likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well a quick google says
    " Consequences of Drink Driving in Singapore
    There’s no fixed benchmark of how much you can drink before driving. Different drinks contain different level of alcohol content. Other factors include your body size, age, gender, and how much you are able to tolerate alcohol.

Alcohol will impair your driving judgment, coordination and reactions. The more you drink, the slower your reaction will be to the road condition. Your ability to proper control of the vehicle will also be affected.

When the alcohol enriched blood passes through the lungs, some of the alcohol will be circulated into the air in the lungs which can be detected by a breath sample taken by the breathalyser.

According to the Traffic Police of Singapore, and under the Road Traffic Act, a driver can be found to be convicted of drink driving in the following two instances, even if he has control of the vehicle.

The two instances are :

a) if the driver is found with more than the legal limit of 35 microgrammes (ug) of alcohol per 100 ml of breath, or
    b) more than 80millimigrammes (mg) of alcohol per 100ml of blood

Even when the alcohol level is under the legal limit, the driver can still be charged with drink driving if he gets into an accident, as he is deemed to be unable to proper control of the vehicle.

The penalty of drink driving in Singapore is as follow :
    1st offence - Fine of between $1,000 and $5,000 or up to 6 months imprisonment
    2nd offence - Fine of between $3,000 and $10,000 and up to 12 months of imprisonment
    3rd and subsequent offence - Fine of up to $30,000 and up to 3 years of imprisonment.

Anyone been found guilty of drink driving will also be barred from driving for at least 1 year, even he or she has not caused any traffic accidents"

Also there are judicial canings but no for anyone under 18, & this kid is 16 & therefore a juvenile.

no mention if any feet...
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Free Charmed.

If the boy continues to be cushioned by his family's wealth, another tragedy is inevitable, prosecutor Richard Alpert said in court.
    "There can be no doubt that he will be in another courthouse one day blaming the lenient treatment he received here," Alpert said.

That's a fact. And every motherfucker responsible for keeping this little prick out of prison - where he fucking belongs - can take credit for the next death!

Relatives of those killed in the accident drew little comfort from that assurance.
    Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter, said the family's wealth helped the teen avoid incarceration.
    "Money always seems to keep you out of trouble," Boyles said. "Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail. If you had been any other youth, I feel like the circumstances would have been different."
    Shaunna Jennings, the minister's widow, said her family had forgiven the teen but believed a sterner punishment was needed.
    "You lived a life of privilege and entitlement, and my prayer is that it does not get you out of this," she said. "My fear is that it will get you out of this."

Tell those family members that the poor little rich boy is just doing what rich boys do. Tell them that you wouldn't have a problem had the little motherfucker ran over and killed someone in your family.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    What if he was a poor kid whose parents were addicts or abusive? I bet that wouldn't be a defence.
    Nope. Only little rich bastards who have suffered tremendous damage by being handed every goddamned thing they ever THOUGHT they wanted! *wails, gnashes teeth just imagining the agony*
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Maybe,but this ain't his first rodeo.When your own lawyer says you are emotionally flat....
    bingo. he's an entitled piece of shit.
    Kittylady likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I believe in rehabilitation, but I also think there needs to be serious punishment as well. A $500k per year rehab facility in Newport Beach is likely not the answer. He'll just learn more shit from the other rich douchebags in there with him. I don't know what the punishment should be, but there has to be a better way.

I don't think that this is over yet - he has more sentencing to come...
    Ethan Couch Update: DA Joe Shannon Tries Again To Put Drunken Teen Behind BarsAPDec 17, 2013
    FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — North Texas prosecutors are trying again to put a teen behind bars who was sentenced last week to 10 years' probation after acknowledging he killed four pedestrians while driving drunk.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Crime and Safety | News from Fort Worth, Dallas, Arlington, Northeast Tarrant County | Star-Telegram.com ) reports Tarrant County District Attorney Joe Shannon is asking a juvenile judge to put 16-year-old Ethan Couch behind bars on two cases of intoxication assault that he says are still pending before the court.Besides the four people killed in a crowd, two teens riding in the back of Couch's pickup on the night of the fatal crash suffered critical injuries.

Couch was sentenced to probation last week after a sentencing hearing. Couch's attorneys argued his wealthy parents coddled him into a sense of irresponsibility — an affliction one witness called "affluenza."
    Also I don't think that this was adequately reported previously?
    According to the same news reports, a surveillance video in June showed this youngster steeling two cases of beer and also paints a picture of irresponsible parents who evidently think the laws that apply to others should not burden them.
    Ethan's parents are reported to have a history of misdemeanors, many of them dealing with traffic issues. His mother was said to have had five such incidents and his father had an amazing 22. The news report noted that these charges were "sometimes dismissed or paid with fines
    ."
    Free Charmed.

Just like others have said, if he was poor it would be no defense. Ridiculous.

I found out my childhood best friend is awaiting trial for manslaughter, killed 2 teens in a drunk driving accident. Parents paid the 50k bail and she was right back on FB apparently. She had many issues so we knew something like this was down the road, but like this kid, her family has ample resources to deal with it. For her I don't expect this type of leniency in any way, especially since she isn't a minor, but, still, bail is paid and status is updated. And this trail? Shit. Especially given his lack of remorse. That is telling, since a conscience might not be bought with half a mill. But I guess there's money to be made through treatment, since sanity is so expensive. Their parents have full pockets and I am sure that place is happy to have him.
    Last edited by Brah; January 2nd, 2014 at 06:50 PM.

I read an article today that said the kid received no jail time, and just rehab that Mommy and Daddy will pay out of their pocket. No specific time frame that the kid has to stay, either. What a bunch of shit,...this kid needs locked up for a few decades. He killed 4 people and seriously injured two others. I am surprised in Texas that he didn't get his little balls nailed to the wall!!! I hope the victims families sue the fuck out of that family! They are SOOOOO rich,...so they can afford it. Sickening!!!

So the solution to the problem of him believing that he should never suffer consequences, is for him to suffer no consequences?

Head. Hurts.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

fgg

Warrant Issued for 'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch After He Allegedly Missed a Probation Meeting

A warrant has been issued to apprehend Ethan Couch, police confirm to PEOPLE, after the Texas teenager – who killed four people in a drunk-driving crash in the so-called "affluenza" case in 2013 – allegedly missed a check-in with his probation officer.

Fort Worth police told PEOPLE Wednesday that the warrant was issued in Tarrant County on Dec. 11. Couch's lawyers told the Dallas Morning News in a statement that a juvenile probation officer has been unable to reach Couch, 18, or his mother for several days.

"It's our understanding that the court has issued a directive to apprehend to have Ethan detained because he is out of contact with his probation officer," the lawyers' statement said.

Couch's father said he didn't know where the mother and son were, either, WFAA-TV reports.

The warrant comes just weeks after Couch allegedly appeared in a six-second video posted to Twitter showing young men playing beer pong, NBCDFW.com reports.

The Tarrant County district attorney's office has been looking into that video, as the terms of Couch's probation prohibit him from using drugs or alcohol.

Couch is serving 10 years probation, having avoided jail time in the controversial case after his lawyers argued that he suffered from "affluenza" – that he was irresponsible because he'd been overly coddled by his wealthy parents.

Recently released deposition tapes from the case suggested Couch often lived alone in a 4,000-square-foot house with a pool and wet bar and did drugs including Valium, Hydrocodone, marijuana, cocaine, Xanex and ecstasy.

Couch testified that on the night of the June 15, 2013 crash, he didn't even remember pulling out of the driveway, much less plowing into a group of people helping a stranded motorist, killing four of them.

Police Hunt for 'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch After Alleged Probation Violation : People.com

i watched a dateline or whatever on this recently and i knew this kid wouldn't make it all the way through is probation without screwing up.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information