Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Teen Who Allegedly Forced Pal To Kill Himself Now Faces 20 Years In Prison

Michelle Carter weighing options on appeal following conviction of causing boyfriend's suicide | masslive.com

"The attorney for Michelle Carter said Monday he is unsure whether she will appeal her involuntary manslaughter conviction in the suicide of Conrad Roy III."

Sounds like she needs a new attorney.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Sounds like she needs a new attorney.
    Someone who can make everyone understand how awesome she really is.

Well, here's the thing. I have a bad feeling about this. If this girl gets anything worse than probation, I think she's going to kill herself. And then are we all responsible for driving her to it by baying for her blood?

Maybe we are.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Well, here's the thing. I have a bad feeling about this. If this girl gets anything worse than probation, I think she's going to kill herself. And then are we all responsible for driving her to it by baying for her blood?

Maybe we are.
    Actually, I don't particularly care whether she goes to jail or not. Her name is out there, and she is very recognizable. She already basically has a 20-year sentence. She's going to suffer just walking around in public.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I was reading the texts from years prior where she repeatedly begged him to get help and to not kill himself. It seems like she just got plain sick of him. She gave up trying to save him and took a sharp turn onto "get this over with" lane. She was only 17 and depressed herself.

I remember hating her the second I read what she did and she still does come off as vile, but after reading how long this kid basically badgered her about wanting to die and knowing she herself suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts, I'm seeing less evil and more two fucked up teenagers.

I'll trust our legal eagles on the law. I'll put my money on her winning the appeal.
    There was a guy who hung around on the fringes of the group of people I used to know. Hardly a month went by without him threatening to kill himself because some girl dumped him/wouldn't go out with him/he hated his job/the world was against him/etc etc. He was so well known for it that 'suicide' became part of his name in conversation (i.e Joe 'Suicide' Bloggs) and people got heartily sick of him and eventually started saying "Yeah, ok. Go for it. Just fuck off and do it, will ya?". To the best of my knowledge he's still walking about, twenty-something years later. There comes a point where even the most well meaning, sympathetic people will have had enough and say "Whatever. Get on with it" not because they genuinely think the other person will do it but precisely because they think they won't.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Yes, but this girl went way beyond that. What she did was not frustration, it was directed and determined. She is vile, unquestionably.
    Serendipity likes this.

Elite Member

I haven't paid too much attention to this until now. She is a horrible, vile human being, but I think that is because she is also ill. I think she really got a thrill out of the power she had over him. But, is this illegal? Seems like it should be, but a self-created duty? -- WTF is that? Some people aren't capable of monitoring their behavior. This is a very complicated case. She definitely needs help.

Not to be shallow, but I can't believe how much her appearance has changed since this happened. She looked like a typical high school girl, now she is so thin and her face -- her eyes and eyebrows are huge. She looks like a sunken version of herself.

Unless she is a true sociopath, all of this must weigh heavily on her, thus the sunken appearance. The boy is dead first off, she's is hated and she had to face criminal charges, now convicted. No shocker it's taken a toll.
    Last edited by CornFlakegrl; July 1st, 2017 at 12:44 PM.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Yes, but this girl went way beyond that. What she did was not frustration, it was directed and determined. She is vile, unquestionably.
    I agree. She went beyond being fed up. She could have just walked away from him. Instead, she relentlessly pushed and pushed for him to do it, even encouraging him to get back in the car. I get teens are dumb, but wouldn't human decency kick in and tell you it's gone to far and I can't be a part of this?

The concept of attention seeking people who constantly threaten suicide isn't new, I also knew a couple of people myself, but what she did and the lengths she went to has been unheard of at this point. She also seemed to revel in the attention afterward. There's something abnormally twisted in how she dealt with this.
    lindsaywhit and garysgirl1999 like this.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

fgg

Michelle Carter sentenced to 2.5 years for texting suicide case

Michelle Carter, who as a teenager sent texts urging her then-boyfriend to commit suicide, was sentenced today to 2.5 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

Conrad Roy III was 18 when he died in July 2014 of carbon monoxide poisoning after locking himself in his truck in Massachusetts.

Carter, now 20, who was Roy's girlfriend at the time of his death, went on trial this year, and the prosecution argued that Carter, then 17, was reckless and caused his death by telling Roy to get back in the car even though they say he didn’t want to die.

"I could’ve stopped him," Carter texted a classmate two months after Roy's death, according to testimony. Carter texted that she and Roy were on the phone the day of his suicide when Roy "got out of the car ... he was scared." Carter texted that she "told him to get back in."

The defense claimed that Carter had previously tried to talk Roy out of harming himself, pointing to one conversation where Roy told Carter he regretted dragging her into his plans to kill himself.

The prosecution today asked Judge Lawrence Moniz to sentence Carter to 7 to 12 years in prison.

"She ended his life to better her own," the prosecution said, adding that Carter has not accepted responsibility for her actions.

The defense asked for five years of supervised probation with conditions including mental health treatment and no contact with the Roy family. Her defense attorney added that Carter regrets what happened and stressed that the sentence should be rehabilitative, not punitive.

Conrad Roy's sister, Camden Roy, gave a statement in court today ahead of the sentencing, calling her brother the best friend and role model "any little sister could ask for."

Conrad Roy's father, Conrad Roy Jr., said in court before sentencing, "I cannot being to describe the despair I feel over the loss of my son. ... I am heartbroken, our family is heartbroken. My son was my best friend."

He called his son sensitive, loving, compassionate and an excellent older brother who was "adored" by his sisters.

"How could Michelle Carter behave so viciously?" he said. "Where was her humanity?"

He said the last words he said to his son were "I love you."

"I miss him every moment of every day," Conrad Roy Jr. said.

Lynn Roy, Conrad Roy's mother, said in court before sentencing, "I still cannot come to terms that another person who knew and described how much they loved my son would want to inflict so much pain" on Conrad Roy's family. "He is the most amazing human being and would have had a bright future.

"This does not stop after a trial. I pray that his death will save lives some day," she added.

In June, Moniz found Carter guilty of involuntary manslaughter, describing her behavior as "reckless." Involuntary manslaughter is defined as an unintentional killing resulting from recklessness or criminal negligence.

While announcing the verdict, Moniz said that Carter instructed Conrad Roy "to get back into the truck well knowing of all of the feelings he [had] exchanged with her, his ambiguities, his fears, his concerns."

"This court finds that instructing Mr. Roy to get back in the truck constituted wanton and reckless conduct," Moniz said.

The judge also noted that Carter admitted in texts that she took no action; she knew the location of the truck and did not notify Conrad Roy's mother or sisters.

Carter was charged as a youthful offender, which means that even though she was a minor at the time of the incident, she was charged as an adult. The maximum possible sentence is 20 years.

Conrad Roy's aunt Kim Bozzi told ABC News' "20/20" ahead of the sentencing, "I don't think that she helped him kill himself. ... I think she forced him to kill himself. I think she was responsible for his death."

Kim Bozzi said when she read the text about Carter telling Conrad Roy to get back in the truck, "My heart broke because, unfortunately, he did."

Bozzi said the most "unbelievable" part of Carter's actions was "how she acted after the fact. She was there, sitting on the phone, talking to him while he was taking his last breath."

"Then she texted my niece a couple hours later, 'Hey, do you know where your brother is?' Then she texted his mom the next day, 'Oh, hey, have you heard from Conrad?' Knowing all along," she said.

Carter also organized a fundraiser for Conrad Roy. "All of his family showed up. Making all kinds of Facebook messages, tweets, talking about how he's her angel and she misses him, and she wants to be this advocate for suicide prevention," Bozzi said. "That, to me, was really where it got, we're not dealing with a normal human being. ... I think she just has a damaged moral core."

Bozzi said she wants people to know that her nephew "wasn't a troubled young teen, that he wasn't suicidal. ... He did struggle. He did have depression, he did have social anxiety and a lot of people do. A lot of boys do. A lot of people don't like to admit it when you have that, because you think it's a sign of weakness, so you don't like to share it. But it's OK.

"Mental illness needs to be further researched and treated," she said. "As far as violence against men, I think is something that gets swept under the rug. I think women bully just as much."

Bozzi said she went to court every day of Carter's trial for her nephew.

"There's nothing else I can do for him," she said. "I know that I know how much he loved his mom and his sisters, and he's protective of them. I just try to watch over him like I know he'd want me to.

"I think the world gained an angel. I think that hearing his story and getting to know who he was, I think he's in his absence just making a huge impact on people's lives," she added. "If it can help a couple people then he's happy. I can see him smiling. "

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/michelle-c...opstories.html
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

The judge took the time between judgment and sentencing to fine-tune his reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Unless she is a true sociopath, all of this must weigh heavily on her, thus the sunken appearance. The boy is dead first off, she's is hated and she had to face criminal charges, now convicted. No shocker it's taken a toll.
    She is almost certainly a true sociopath, as the only things that have affected her demeanor have been things that have negatively affected her, personally. I don't think there's any cure for her, but at least people know who she is now.

​eta: sorry for the double post. I... don't know what happened.
    OCD likes this.

fgg

Court Upholds Conviction Of Michelle Carter In Texting-Suicide Case

A Massachusetts woman who was convicted of coercing her boyfriend over text messages into killing himself will serve her full sentence following a ruling on Wednesday by the state’s high court.

Michelle Carter’s 15-month sentence handed down in 2017 for involuntary manslaughter had been placed on hold as the Supreme Judicial Court reviewed herappeal.

This followed the defense arguing that her verbal conduct was protected free speech under the Constitution’s First Amendment and that Conrad Roy III’s death in 2014 was caused by his own actions.

The court ultimately affirmed that Carter’s repeat urging of a “vulnerable person” to kill himself, even as he expressed reluctance, caused his death.

“The crime of involuntary manslaughter proscribes reckless or wanton conduct causing the death of another. The statute makes no reference to restricting or regulating speech, let alone speech of a particular content or viewpoint,” the court stated in its ruling Wednesday. “We are therefore not punishing words alone, as the defendant claims, but reckless or wanton words causing death.”

“The evidence against the defendant proved that, by her wanton or reckless conduct, she caused the victim’s death by suicide,” the court concluded.

The 22-year-old has been allowed to remain free while the court reviewed her case.

Carter was 17 when she urged 18-year-old Roy, who was suicidal at the time, to kill himself with carbon monoxide from his pickup truck in a Fairhaven parking lot in July of 2014.

When Roy had second thoughts about doing it, Carter texted him to “get back in” his truck and complete what he had set out to do, the Bristol County Juvenile Court heard.

“No more pushing it off. No more waiting,” she at one point texted him.

When Roy expressed concern about how his family would handle his death, Carter told him that “they will get over it and move on,” text messages shared by the Supreme Judicial Court show.

“They won’t be in depression I won’t let that happen. They know how sad you are and they know that you’re doing this to be happy, and I think they will understand and accept it,” she said. “The time is right and you’re ready, you just need to do it! You can’t keep living this way.”

She was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2017 and ordered to serve 15 months of a 2.5-year sentence.

Carter also faces a $4.2 million wrongful-death lawsuit in Norfolk County Superior Court that was brought by Roy’s mother.

This story has been updated with more details from Wednesday’s ruling.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/court...151415814.html
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

"We are disappointed in the Court’s decision," her lawyers said in a statement. "We continue to believe that Michelle Carter did not cause Conrad Roy’s tragic death and is not criminally responsible for his suicide.""We will evaluate all legal options including a possible appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court," the statement said.
    [Shakes Magic 8 ball....]. "Outlook not so good."
    SHELLEE and Waterslide like this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information