Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shooting at Ft. Hood Army Base kills 7, 12 wounded...

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    So-are you saying we deserve this? Plenty of Americans probably steal beer from stores daily-that doesn't make it right. Nor do the vast majority of Americans support that idea. Low blow,A*O.
    I don't think that's quite what she meant, it just appears that there's a bit of a double-standard. The IRA created absolute chaos and killed hundreds of people, so it's pretty appaling that there was support from anyone for them.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Plenty of Americans actively supported and funded the IRA terrorists during the Troubles in Northern Ireland during the 70s, 80s and early 90s. But that's different apparently.
    And there were people in Europe who supported the IRA, too. Those who supported the IRA didn't see them as 'terrorists,' they saw them as 'freedom fighters.' And you have people in the Middle East who view Al-Queda as 'freedom fighters' instead of 'terrorists.' One man's terrorist will always be another man's 'freedom fighter/patriot.' But the IRA/Al-Queda were, first and foremost, terrorists.

We have domestic terrorists that are homegrown right here in America (right-wing anti-abortion killers & militia groups) but there are people who don't see them as terrorists at all.

I would be relieved if he was found to have a brain tumor or something. Something was off and did not start out that way. I feel so badly for his poor family.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And there were people in Europe who supported the IRA, too. Those who supported the IRA didn't see them as 'terrorists,' they saw them as 'freedom fighters.' And you have people in the Middle East who view Al-Queda as 'freedom fighters' instead of 'terrorists.' One man's terrorist will always be another man's 'freedom fighter/patriot.' But the IRA/Al-Queda were, first and foremost, terrorists.

We have domestic terrorists that are homegrown right here in America (right-wing anti-abortion killers & militia groups) but there are people who don't see them as terrorists at all.
    Yup. How sad that when the Oklahoma bombings happened, the immediate speculation was that it was done by Middle Eastern terrorists. One letter I remember someone wrote to Time magazine complaining that 'they' (Americans) fed them, gave them shelter, etc., and then they 'repay' them by committing acts of terror. Not long after the world found out it was in fact committed by home grown terrorists, so much for those quick to jump to conclusions.

Our law enforcement agencies have in fact been doing a good job of preventing acts of terror from these right wing hate groups and militias the past decade, some involved large scale bombings and attacks in the U.S. These idiots view themselves as 'holy noble warriors' out to protect their race. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    I don't think that's quite what she meant, it just appears that there's a bit of a double-standard. The IRA created absolute chaos and killed hundreds of people, so it's pretty appaling that there was support from anyone for them.
    I think that is what she meant. Doesn't matter. I don't know of a single soul that supported those IRA thugs. Not one soul. We saw dead,wounded or grieving children nightly on the news.
    Why bring that up in this thread? Smacks of get a kick in when we are down to me. In sports they would call it unneccessary roughness. Thanks.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    So-are you saying we deserve this?
    Well... no. She didn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Yup. How sad that when the Oklahoma bombings happened, the immediate speculation was that it was done by Middle Eastern terrorists. One letter I remember someone wrote to Time magazine complaining that 'they' (Americans) fed them, gave them shelter, etc., and then they 'repay' them by committing acts of terror. Not long after the world found out it was in fact committed by home grown terrorists, so much for those quick to jump to conclusions.
    That's understandable - the majority are carried out by Muslims. Why do we tip toe around this point?? Of course not ALL terrorists are Muslims, but the majority of terrorist attacks on US soil definitely are. We've learned that no action was taken in this case (when major alarm bells should have been ringing) with tragic results. Another case to consider is the Virginia Tech massacre. The killer, Seung-Hui Cho signed a letter with the name Ismail Ax. He also died with this name written in red ink on his arm. This is very relevant, yet got very little mention in the media.
    In the 7th Century, Muhammad, the founder of Islam, re-wrote the story, claiming that Ismail was the true faithful descendant of Abraham and that it was he, not Isaac, who God told Abraham to sacrifice. Ismail was the one saved. For Muslims, Ismail (not Isaac) was the true 'Son of Sacrifice.' In the original version of the story, Abraham used a knife, in some of the later Muslim versions, he used an Ax.
    Yes, the killer was disturbed, but why was the Muslim connection downplayed so much?? In the note he left behind, he railed against Christianity (his parents were Christians) and the debauchery of "rich kids".

Yes, the killer was disturbed, but why was the Muslim connection downplayed so much??
    I don't think it is being downplayed now. I heard on the news this morning that he attended the same mosque as two of the 911 terrorists. They're trying to find out if they knew one another.

Warning: non-PC comments ahead.

I doubt this guy was harassed for being a Muslim, based on all of the information we now have. It sounds like he was the one doing the harassing. But even if he had been--why do Muslims seem to get a pass, or at least a sympathetic angle, for being thin-skinned pussies? Oh noes! You called me a name! Jihad! Oh noes! You posted an image of Mohammed! Jihad! Grow a set and grow the fuck up.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I think the guy was fundamentally disturbed. He probably latched onto his fanatical and wrongheaded version of Islam as a reason for resisting and violently lashing out. But from what I can see, he was always an oddball - who didn't even fit in with his beloved muslim community.

My wife is having dinner with her Walter Reed psychologist friend tonight. I can't wait to hear what she knows about this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Warning: non-PC comments ahead.

I doubt this guy was harassed for being a Muslim, based on all of the information we now have. It sounds like he was the one doing the harassing. But even if he had been--why do Muslims seem to get a pass, or at least a sympathetic angle, for being thin-skinned pussies? Oh noes! You called me a name! Jihad! Oh noes! You posted an image of Mohammed! Jihad! Grow a set and grow the fuck up.
    From what I've seen and read, most muslim fanatics have a huge superiority complex. In their opinion, they are better than anyone else and perish the thought anyone should mess with them or ignore their superiority. They feel they are the only ones worthy of respect and consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    From what I've seen and read, most muslim fanatics have a huge superiority complex. In their opinion, they are better than anyone else and perish the thought anyone should mess with them or ignore their superiority. They feel they are the only ones worthy of respect and consideration.
    That description applies for right-wing Christian fanatics, too.

Yes, it does. They are always right and cannot tolerate any other POV's, nor respect other belief systems. That's why we have abortion clinic bombings.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Yes, it does. They are always right and cannot tolerate any other POV's, nor respect other belief systems. That's why we have abortion clinic bombings.
    Yup. All religious fanatics are a threat. But they believe that they're doing God/Allah's work so it's all good.

I think it goes for about all extremists.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information