Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shooting at Ft. Hood Army Base kills 7, 12 wounded...

Default Atty: Fort Hood suspect may use insanity defense

Crazy like a fox

Atty: Fort Hood suspect may use insanity defense - Yahoo! News

FORT WORTH, Texas – An Army psychiatrist accused of killing 13 people during an attack on his Texas post will likely plead not guilty to the charges against him and may use an insanity defense at his military trial, his attorney said Monday.

John Galligan, the civilian attorney for Maj. Nidal Hasan, said he is considering an insanity defense among other options, but that it's too early to determine his defense strategy.

"Based on the evidence thus far, his mental status must be raised," Galligan told The Associated Press by phone from his office near Fort Hood, about 130 miles southwest of Dallas. "Anybody who allegedly engages in conduct that is completely contradictory to his lifestyle and military career — an insanity defense has to be considered."

Hasan has been charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder in the Nov. 5 shooting at Fort Hood, and military officials have said they may file more charges. More than two dozen others were wounded in the shooting spree, which happened at a building where soldiers finalize their wills and are medically screened before they are deployed.

Galligan said military law requires his client to plead not guilty if prosecutors seek the death penalty, but he said that decision has not been made.

Hasan remains in intensive care at a San Antonio military hospital, where he was taken after being shot during the attack. At a hearing in his hospital room Saturday, Hasan was ordered to remain in custody until trial.

Galligan said he is frustrated because prosecutors are taking too long to respond to his questions and requests. He said he has asked why no witnesses were allowed to testify during Saturday's hearing, and why it was closed to the news media. He said he had planned to question Hasan's commander, who in documents indicated Hasan would be moved to an unspecified hospital but did not say when.

Fort Hood officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

You just know they are praying it is mental illness instead of radical fundamentalism, but it ain't.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregory Gross, Judge Presiding Over Fort Hood Shooting Rampage Case, Ousted For Failing To Appear Impartial

The military's highest court ousted the judge in the Fort Hood shooting case Monday and threw out his order to have the suspect's beard forcibly shaved before his court-martial.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces ruled that Col. Gregory Gross didn't appear impartial while presiding over the case of Maj. Nidal Hasan, who faces the death penalty if convicted in the 2009 shootings on the Texas Army post that killed 13 people and wounded more than two dozen others.

But the court said it was not ruling on whether the judge's order violated Hasan's religious rights. Hasan has argued that his beard is a requirement of his Muslim faith, although facial hair violates Army regulations.

"Should the next military judge find it necessary to address (Hasan's) beard, such issues should be addressed and litigated anew," judges wrote in the ruling.

Hasan appealed after Gross ordered that he must be clean-shaven or be forcibly shaved before his court-martial, a military trial.

The court-martial had been set to begin three months ago but has been on hold pending the appeals.

In a statement issued Monday night, Fort Hood officials said proceedings in the case will resume after a new judge is appointed by the Army's highest legal branch. That indicates Army prosecutors will not appeal this ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.

An Army appeals court had upheld the shaving requirement in October. But on Monday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces said the command, not the judge, was responsible for enforcing grooming standards. The ruling said that was one example of how Gross did not appear impartial in the case.

Gross had repeatedly said Hasan's beard was a disruption to the court proceedings, but the military appeals court ruled that there was insufficient evidence to show that his beard interfered with the hearings.

Gross found Hasan in contempt of court at six previous pretrial hearings because he was not clean-shaven, then sent him to a nearby trailer to watch the proceedings on a closed-circuit television. The appeals court's ruling also vacated the contempt of court convictions.

At a June hearing, lead defense attorney Lt. Col. Kris Poppe said the judge showed a bias against Hasan when he asked defense attorneys to clean up a court restroom after Gross found a medical waste bag, adult diaper and what appeared to be feces on the floor after a previous hearing. Hasan, who is paralyzed from the waist down after being shot by police the day of the shootings, has to wear adult diapers – but the mess in the restroom that day was mud from a guard's boots, Poppe said.

"In light of these rulings, and the military judge's accusations regarding the latrine, it could reasonably appear to an objective observer that the military judge had allowed the proceedings to become a duel of wills between himself and (Hasan) rather than an adjudication of the serious offenses with which (Hasan) is charged," judges wrote in the ruling.

Gregory Gross, Judge Presiding Over Fort Hood Shooting Rampage Case, Ousted For Failing To Appear Impartial
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Wow, it's been over three years and this trial hasn't finished.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

'workplace violence' trials are tricky like that.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Military trials are generally a great deal quicker than civilian ones.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

call me crazy but i don't even think military justice should exist, it just seems like an outdated, reactionary and unjust system. i think all trials should be subject to the same rules.
    that said, the judge definitely sounds biased and as horrible as this crimes are, he still deserves a fair trial. that's one of the cornerstones of a civilized democracy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's tough for an admittedly reactionary guy like me to watch the wheels of justice grind slowly. Everyone knows he did it, he plotted it way beforehand (so the insanity defense seems really suspect). But these are the rules.

It's still easier for me to take than the Colin Ferguson trial, where everyone knows the defendant did it, and he is acting as his own attorney AND badgering the people he just shot and killed the relatives of.

insane people can plot. insane people can be incredibly intelligent.
    i don't know why people think insanity means the same thing as retarded. i'm not taking about you, mo, it's just a general reflection on insanity as defined by american courts. it's such a narrow definition - only way to be declared insane is if you didn't know right from wrong at the time you committed the crime. i would argue that most insane people know right from wrong and it doesn't make them any less insane and i think there should be psychiatric hospital prisons for criminals who belong there rather than jail. i don't see the point of throwing them in prison where they won't get the psychiatric help they need.

as for this guy, i have no idea whether or not he's insane. and yes, he definitely did it. but he still deserves a fair trial - not so much to ascertain guilt but to figure out what to do with him. and from the way they describe the judge in this article, that wasn't the case.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yup. What I mean, Sputnik, was that according to the US legal system, there is insanity (you have no idea what you are doing and the consequences of your actions, including temporarily), and there is insanity (disordered thinking, which leads you to commit a crime). You can have disordered thinking or a persecution complex, and still be subject to the full consequences of the US legal system. Richard Chase, the Vampire of Sacramento, was a clinical schizophrenic, thought that he was an actual vampire, and that he needed human blood to survive. However, he was found sane and was sentenced to death for the murders he committed. He knew what he was doing was wrong, methodically plotted to commit the murders and then left surreptitiously to commit them again.

In Nidal's case, it sounds like he, being a craven coward, can't own up to being a terrorist motivated by some over-the-top allegiance to Islam, and instead will say that he wasn't in his right mind when he plotted to kill a bunch of people and then carried out his plans.

‘I was on the wrong side of America’s war. I switched sides’: Fort Hood massacre trial opens with stunning admission from defendant – after prosecutors say his goal was to 'kill as many soldiers as he could'

The Muslim fanatic does not deny that he committed the most deadly attack on a U.S. military base or that he shouted 'Allahu akbar!' — Arabic for "God is great!' He has claimed he did it to protect Taliban in Afghanistan.

The U.S. Army shrink accused of staging the Fort Hood massacre declared himself an Islamic holy warrior Tuesday and insisted that “the evidence will clearly show that I am the shooter.”

“Evidence will show I was on the wrong side of America’s war and I later switched sides,” Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, who is representing himself, declared during a two-minute opening statement in a heavily guarded courtroom on the base.

“We in the mujahideen are imperfect beings trying to establish a perfect religion,” Hasan added. “I apologize for any mistakes I have made in this endeavor”

It was a jarring opening argument from a Muslim fanatic who has admitted killing 13 of his countrymen and wounding 32 others, and claims he did it to protect Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

And it was delivered by Hasan in a quiet voice from a wheelchair — he was shot in the back by officers responding to the attack and is paralyzed from the waist down.

A son of Palestinian immigrants who grew up in Virginia, Hasan also does not deny shouting "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" - before committing the deadliest mass shooting ever on a U.S. military base.

But Hasan, 42 — dressed in camouflage fatigues — was prevented from entering a guilty plea because military prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against him.

Hasan has also been barred by the judge, Col. Tara Osborn, from pursuing a "defense of others" strategy — making it all the more likely that he will use the trial as a platform for airing his warped religious beliefs.

Before Hasan spoke, military prosecutor Col. Steve Henricks told the court the killer had gotten orders to deploy to Afghanistan three weeks before the shootings.

“They’ve got another thing coming if they thing they are going to deploy me,” Hasan told another doctor on the base, Henricks said.

Hasan then began hatching a plan that was both sinister and simple.

“He came to believe he had a jihad duty to kill as many soldiers as possible,” Henricks said.
    It was also meticulously planned.

Hasan began practicing at a shooting range and tricked out his pistol with an ammunition extender kit for extra firepower — and two laser sites.

To mask the sound of the ammo, Hasan stuffed paper towels into the pockets of his cargo pants before heading into the post’s Readiness Processing Center to join other soldiers preparing to deploy to Afghanistan.

“All those fully loaded magazines do not clink, do not move, do not give him away,” Henricks said. “He sits among the soldiers he’s about to kill with his head down.”

Hasan was intent on killing soldiers and told the civilian data clerk she was needed elsewhere to get her out of the room, Henricks said.

Once she was gone, Henricks said, “He then yelled ‘Allahu akbar!’ and opened fire on unarmed, unsuspecting and defenseless soldiers.”

One of the slain soldiers tried to attack Hasan with a chair, the prosecutor said.

When Hasan was done, he left the building and ran into a civilians who asked him what was going on, Henricks said.

Hasan told one of them there was a training exercise going on and that he was carrying a paintball gun, Henricks said.

Henricks also told the jury there was a specific reason why Hasan specifically chose Nov. 5, 2009, to stage a massacre, but he did not elaborate.

It is a date rich in history, including the sentencing of deposed Iraqi despot Saddam Hussein and two of his henchmen in 2006 for mass murdering Shiite Muslims.

The government also contends that Hasan sent more than a dozen emails starting in December 2008 to Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical U.S.-born Islamic cleric killed by a drone strike in Yemen in 2011.

Hasan's trial at the Texas base opened under heavy security. Osborn told jurors to prepare for a trial that could last several months.

To convict Hasan of murder, the 13-member panel of officers must decide unanimously that he is guilty.
    Hasan, who is charged with numerous counts of murder and attempted murder, will be allowed to question some of the wounded survivors of his mayhem.

Bring it on, said Staff Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford, who was among those hurt in the attack.

“I'm not going to dread anything, that’s a sign of fear," Lunsford told the Associated Press. "That man strikes no fear in my heart. He strikes no fear in my family. What he did to me was bad. But the biggest mistake that he made was I survived. So he will see me again."

Staff Sgt. Shawn Manning told the AP he would work on maintaining his “composure and not go after the guy.”

“I’m not afraid of him, obviously,” he said. “He’s a paralyzed guy in a wheelchair, but it’s sickening that he’s still living and breathing.”

Dozens of other soldiers are also expected to testify.

But the first witnesses on the stand were several people who encountered Hasan at Guns Galore, where he purchased guns and ammunition for the attack.

The store manager called him "very polite, very courteous, kinda quiet." And a regular customer said Hasan was eager to buy a weapon with a “high magazine round capacity."

Hasan did not question the witnesses.

Hasan, who killed 12 soldiers and a civilian base worker, is a psychiatrist who specialized in treating combat stress and was himself bound for a tour in Afghanistan when he went on a rampage.

The trial was delayed several times as Hasan fought successfully to be allowed to grow a beard, which is against military regulations, for religious reasons and to act as his own lawyer.

Meanwhile, more than 130 people — shooting victims and their relatives — have sued the U.S. government for damages, claiming that warnings that Hasan had become radicalized were repeatedly ignored because of “political correctness.”

They also want the massacre reclassified as a terrorist attack rather than workplace violence so that the victims can become eligible for benefits given to soldiers wounded or killed in combat.

The last active duty service member executed by the military was a private in 1961 who raped and tried to kill an 11-year-old girl. But Hasan is already in hell.

Hasan was shot in the back by officers responding to the attack and is paralyzed from the waist down. He has to lift himself off his wheelchair every half-hour to avoid developing sores.

Read more: Fort Hood suspect Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan admits at opening of trial to shooting 13 - NY Daily News

Read more: Fort Hood suspect Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan admits at opening of trial to shooting 13 - NY Daily News

Read more: News covering New York City, National, and the World - Homepage - NY Daily News

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I wonder how much his work involved discussing experiences with people treated for combat stress.

The New York TimesVerified account ‏@nytimes

Breaking News: Fort Hood Gunman Found Guilty on All Counts

http://nyti.ms/Zf40cq

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread Information