Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shooting at Ft. Hood Army Base kills 7, 12 wounded...

Was he ever chosen for his arabic ability?

As far as I know he had nothing to do with any program that takes advantage of those who speak foreign languages. He was primarily interested in a medical/mental health training.

there;s really not much else to be said except i hope they put the guy to death for all of this. it would be nice to have public hangings again just to show idiots who are thinking about pulling stunts like this that it won't be tolerated anymore. save time, space, and taxpayer money by getting rid of all the murderers in prisons. if only it were that easy.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    We do need to leave the Middle East. But as long as we're addicted to foreign oil we're not going anywhere. Although I always found it interesting that many of these Arab countries rake in billions from oil from the West, but don't share the benefits with their people. But their people hate Westerners, instead of the royal families/governments that hoard the oil revenue.
    Just throwing this out there- I thought this was true until the Iranian protests happened earlier this year, and I read this book 'Children of Jihad.' I made a thread about it here in books. Anyway, when the author was able to get a visa to do research in Iran, he was inundated with Iranians who wanted him to take the message back home that the Iranian people DON'T hate the Western world. They respect and admire America, don't believe a word their government says, and although they did distrust/hate our government under Bush, they very much like Obama.

Granted, there are still pockets of people who despise America and Americans but what's important to understand is that across the Middle East, many people separate their hate for the American government, from a hatred of Americans. And many more don't even hate our government.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    That's probably because their news media is strictly controlled and people have no idea how much money is being made. They are being inundated with anti-Western propaganda and manipulated by their leaders, be they governments or rulers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Most of us in Western countries have access to international news sources, the internet, and other outlets. We have enough information available to make up our own minds about issues. Many people in the Middle East do not, their information comes exclusively from their government and all information not deemed appropriate is banned.
    Actually, what was most striking to me is that the people KNOW the government controls their media, and they've developed all these ways of using technology to get around the blocks and learn about the rest of the world. Just look at the Iranian protests being Twittered. Iranians, Syrians, Iraquis, and others have learned to use web proxies to get around the blocks. Also, they use their mobile phones and PDAs to access international news. Heck, even the Bedouins (Arab nomads/gypsies) frequently travel with satellite dishes so they can watch western TV and news.

Ft. Hood ‘hero’ story changes - Yahoo! News

Shortly after last week's Ft. Hood shooting massacre, Sgt. Kimberly Munley of the Killeen, TX, police department was widely credited as the heroic cop who brought Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan's rampage to an end by shooting him four times while being wounded by gunfire herself. A Ft. Hood official told the media that the diminutive Munley, who was shot in both legs and one of her wrists, fired on Hasan twice, which then drew his attention to her, and then fired again while she was on the ground. But now it appears as though that account was inaccurate and that another Killeen police officer, Sgt. Mark Todd, was actually the person who fired the shots that brought down Hasan.
    The widespread belief that Munley was the one who brought down Hasan, who survived but may be paralyzed according to his lawyer, began to unravel earlier in the week when an anonymous witness told the New York Times that he saw Todd, not Munley, bring down the Army psychiatrist as he attempted to reload his weapon. The witness said that Hasan shot Munley as she rounded a corner, knocking her to the ground. Hasan then turned his back to Munley as he attempted to put another magazine into his pistol, and it was then that Todd saw Hasan fumbling with the weapon and shot him, according to the witness.
    Sgts. Munley and Todd, along with Ft. Hood officials, all declined to comment about the specifics of what happened , nor did Munley or Todd go into detail about them during a joint appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show. But Todd's wife, Lisa, told the paper that her husband had specifically requested that the Army leave his name out of any reports on the shooting, not wanting to draw media attention to himself as the sole hero of the day because "they were both in this together." Todd's mother, Mary, also weighed in, expressing dismay that the media was "giving this woman all this credit," adding "I don't want to diminish what she did, I just hope they give him credit too."
    Though the official version of events won't be available until the military releases the results of its investigation, Todd told the New York Times in an interview Thursday that it was indeed he who fired the shots that brought down Hasan. He said that he and Munley both pulled up to the scene at the same time and, after receiving fire from Hasan when they ordered him to drop his weapon, each broke in different directions. After aborting an attempt to circle the building, Todd said he headed back to the front of the building where he saw Munley wounded on the ground. He said that he then ordered Hasan to drop his weapon a second time, which again prompted the gunman to fire upon him. It was at this point that Todd told the Times that he "neutralized him and secured him."
    In the aftermath of the week-long confusion over who brought down Hasan, some are not holding back in criticizing the media and the military for their roles in the chaos -- the media for not not digging deeper and thus performing their jobs properly, and the military for being too secretive. Some have even questioned whether or not there might have been a racial component involved with crediting a white woman over a black man as the day's hero. But this fact remains unchallenged: On November 5, 2009, Sgt. Kimberly Munley and Sgt. Mark Todd both risked their lives in the line of duty to try to stop an armed man in the midst a homicidal rampage, so shouldn't they both be hailed equally as heroes for doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Just throwing this out there- I thought this was true until the Iranian protests happened earlier this year, and I read this book 'Children of Jihad.' I made a thread about it here in books. Anyway, when the author was able to get a visa to do research in Iran, he was inundated with Iranians who wanted him to take the message back home that the Iranian people DON'T hate the Western world. They respect and admire America, don't believe a word their government says, and although they did distrust/hate our government under Bush, they very much like Obama.

Granted, there are still pockets of people who despise America and Americans but what's important to understand is that across the Middle East, many people separate their hate for the American government, from a hatred of Americans. And many more don't even hate our government.
    Thank you for posting that--I didn't even want to get into that part of the discussion, because I've never been in the Middle East. But one of my close friends (American) lived in two Middle Eastern countries for several years, running schools, and everyone there was very kind to her. She did have to dress differently and respect the customs, but she made many friends and never encountered hatred on the basis of where she was from.

I also have had a less close friend, a photographer, who goes abroad to war-torn countries to photograph the locals. He's an American and also has spoken of developing friendships in the Middle East, and the people he meets allow him to photograph them in very personal ways. Some photos are of sweet young children with missing limbs and the like--casualties of warfare with the U.S. And one of my college profs was best known for living among Iraqui women; yes, she followed their customs, and they treated her with great respect.

So no one I know who has personally been to a Middle Eastern nation has come back with reports of being treated badly. I'm not saying it doesn't happen--but I've not heard of that myself.

Back to the freedom of media, OTOH, I have a longtime friend whose dad was an Iranian journalist who had to seek asylum in the United States, because he tried to report on things the government didn't want investigated.

Just random observations.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

^^ no problem. I've not been to the Middle East either, and honestly I don't plan to go. It just seems too easy to randomly, and accidentally, end up in trouble. I'm not denying that there are a whole lot of people there who are dangerous extremists who hate America, but it isn't everyone. I don't even know if its the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Back to the freedom of media, OTOH, I have a longtime friend whose dad was an Iranian journalist who had to seek asylum in the United States, because he tried to report on things the government didn't want investigated.
    Oh absolutely! It seems that being an anonymous, everyday person who purposely stays off the government's radar is the key to having freedom in many MIddle Eastern countries.

Whats interesting about the book I mentioned is that when the author initially went to Iran, he wanted to interview all these government officials and he had an entirely different concept for his book. the Iranian government gave him a 'tour guide' who he initially thought was helpful and once he told the guide the gist of his book, the guide clamped down. The author's room was regularly searched, he was followed everywhere and eventually he had to abandon the project. The actual book came about when he started going to cafes just to get out of his hotel, and young Iranians started coming up to him and talking to him because he was obviously a Westerner. After a few days of this, the Iranian government seemed to back off, lose interest and give him more freedom. The author eventually befriended the Iranian college kids, and they took him to underground parties and all sorts of normal stuff. Then he traveled to Lebanon, Syria, Palestine and the Kurdistan region of Iraq and had similar experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    That's not hard to imagine. I loathed George W. Bush and his government, but I never hated Americans nor the USA itself. I don't see why an Iranian wouldn't also be able to maintain that kind of distinction in their mind.

The Heroes of Fort Hood

What began as a quiet day at Fort Hood, Texas, ended as the deadliest mass shooting on a military base in U.S. history. On November 5, 2009, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a 39-year-old Army psychiatrist, allegedly walked into a crowded room where soldiers were getting ready for deployment and opened fire. Authorities say Maj. Hasan fired more than 100 rounds, killing 13 and injuring 43 others.

One of the first civilian police officers to arrive at the scene was Sgt. Kimberly Munley, a 34-year-old mother of two who earned the nickname "Mighty Mouse" during her military service. Authorities say Sgt. Munley fired at Maj. Hasan twice. Maj. Hasan then allegedly charged at her, firing. Sgt. Munley managed to fire a few more rounds and fell on her back, shot in each leg and her wrist.

Senior Sgt. Mark Todd, another civilian police offer with military service, joined Sgt. Munley. Together, they took down Maj. Hasan. Senior Sgt. Todd was not injured. Maj. Hasan is in stable condition and remains in custody.

Witnesses say the death toll would have been much worse if it weren't for the heroic actions of Sgt. Munley and Senior Sgt. Todd.

In her first interview since the shootings, Sgt. Munley says she remembers every detail of the incident. "I never lost consciousness, and I refused to," she says. "I wanted to stay awake and know everything that was going on and control my breathing to make sure I was not going to fall into shock."

Sgt. Munley says she was washing her patrol car at the end of her shift when the call about the shootings came in. Armed with a pistol, she says she entered a chaotic situation. "I was still unaware completely as to what was going on and what we were up against, who we were up against," she says. "There were many people outside pointing into the direction that this individual was apparently located, and as soon as I got out of my vehicle and ran up the hill is when things started getting pretty bad and we started encountering the fire."

Senior Sgt. Todd arrived at the scene at the same time as Sgt. Munley. "It was just a typical day, and then we got the call that shots fired," he says. "Initially in my mind I was thinking: 'Okay, this is Fort Hood. We have memorial services all the time. They were practicing the three-round volleys that they do for the memorial ceremonies.'"

Still, Senior Sgt. Todd went to investigate. "The [radio] came back saying there were shots fired while they were taking phone calls," he says.

Once inside, Sgt. Munley says there wasn't much time to think. "We get so attuned to training, and we're very fortunate that it becomes second nature and kind of reflexive for us to react," she says.

Senior Sgt. Todd managed to get the gun away from the alleged shooter. He says it was the first time he'd ever used his weapon in 25 years of law enforcement. "We're trained to shoot until there's no longer a threat. And once he was laying down on his back, his weapon just fell into his hand and I'm like, 'Okay, now's the time to rush him and secure him,'" he says. "I ran up and I kicked his weapon away and then we placed him in handcuffs, and after searching him for any other weapons and everything, we started the lifesaving measures on him."

When she woke up in the hospital, Sgt. Munley's first words were, "Did anybody die?" "I was very concerned as to who else had been injured as well," she says.

Sgt. Munley says she's taking her recovery slowly and is looking forward to getting back to a normal life. "Every day is a progress for me, and things are getting better day by day," she says. "Emotionally, I'm just hoping that the rest of the officers and the injured and the families of the deceased are healing as well."

Senior Sgt. Todd says he thanks God that he was able to walk away without injury. "Directly after it, I sent my wife a text and my sister a text [saying]: ' Shooting at Fort Hood. I'm okay. I'll call when I can,'" he says. "We're trained to do whatever we need to do so we can walk home at the end of the day and hug our families and just be normal people."

Fort Hood Tragedy - Oprah.com

American Muslims To Fort Hood Shooter: 'Thanks A Lot, Asshole'

November 12, 2009 |

FORT HOOD, TX—Following Army psychologist Nidal Malik Hasan's shooting rampage on the Fort Hood military base last week that left 13 people dead and 30 others injured, fellow Muslims across the nation sent him a message today, saying "thanks a fucking bunch, asshole," to the 39-year-old killer. "Hey, great, eight years of progress right down the shitter," St. Cloud, MN resident Zahida Naseem said at one of dozens of impromptu rallies held nationwide. "And you just had to scream 'Allahu Akbar' while you did it, didn't you? May as well have put on a turban and rode a fucking camel right through the army base, you dick. Thanks for making the foreseeable future a living hell for normal, peace-loving Muslims in this country. Really appreciate it!" American Sikhs are also reportedly enraged with Hasan, and an official statement from the National Sikh Heritage Center read, in part, "look, we got nothing to do with that guy."
    Source

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

November 12, 2009 |

FORT HOOD, TX—Following Army psychologist Nidal Malik Hasan's shooting rampage on the Fort Hood military base last week that left 13 people dead and 30 others injured, fellow Muslims across the nation sent him a message today, saying "thanks a fucking bunch, asshole," to the 39-year-old killer. "Hey, great, eight years of progress right down the shitter," St. Cloud, MN resident Zahida Naseem said at one of dozens of impromptu rallies held nationwide. "And you just had to scream 'Allahu Akbar' while you did it, didn't you? May as well have put on a turban and rode a fucking camel right through the army base, you dick. Thanks for making the foreseeable future a living hell for normal, peace-loving Muslims in this country. Really appreciate it!" American Sikhs are also reportedly enraged with Hasan, and an official statement from the National Sikh Heritage Center read, in part, "look, we got nothing to do with that guy."

Source
    We know exactly how they feel! That is a scream. No one I know is blaming anyone but that nut.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I just saw on the news that he had wanted some of his patients/fellow soldiers tried for war crimes. It just gets more unbelievable.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    We know exactly how they feel! That is a scream. No one I know is blaming anyone but that nut.
    oh bullshit. and you know it. every guy named muhamed or essam or khalil will bear the brunt of what this motherfucker did. every time they go to the airport or walk down the street, go into the bank, go into a hospital... they suffer.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Never has the army in its storied history so dragged its feet stretching an 'investigation' out like this one.

Gotta be oh so careful of not jumping to conclusions, gotta be oh so careful not to offend anyone, gotta do this, gotta do that.

What a f**king farce.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Never has the army in its storied history so dragged its feet stretching an 'investigation' out like this one.

Gotta be oh so careful of not jumping to conclusions, gotta be oh so careful not to offend anyone, gotta do this, gotta do that.

What a f**king farce.
    too late on that shit, I'm offended.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

November 12, 2009 |

Source
    God I love the Onion.

Thread Information