Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: The shooting of 17 yr old Trayvon Martin

So they've completely read "reasonable belief" right out of the law.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Gold Member

I'm not a lawyer, so I need to ask a question to people who may be more knowledgeable about this law:

Can Zimmerman actually use the "Stand Your Ground" law as a defense if he is the one who instigated the altercation?

Zimmerman has actually given different stories - he first claimed that he got out of his car to check the street sign and Trayvon just attacked him and he was defending himself.

But the calls to 911 disprove that pretty quickly - I mean, FFS, he was even told not to follow him and to wait for the police. I just don't see how he can claim "Stand Your Ground" when he instigated the entire thing.

If that's the case, if I ever go back to Florida, can I just run up to someone, start a fight, shoot them, then claim I was "afraid" because I was getting beat up?
    monk likes this.

Bronze Member

Obama: Trayvon Martin Shooting a 'Tragedy'
    President discusses Miami teen's shooting at White House
    [YOUTUBE]efZNgSEpB1k[/YOUTUBE]
    President Barack Obama spoke out on the shooting death of Miami teen Trayvon Martin Friday, calling it a "tragedy" and saying that if he had a son, "he would look like Trayvon."

Obama was asked about the 17-year-old's death during a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden.

"Obviously this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through," Obama said. "And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids."

Martin was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman at a gated community in Sanford on Feb. 26. Though Martin was unarmed, Zimmerman told police the shooting was self-defense, and no charges have been filed in the case.

The U.S. Justice Department and FBI are investigating the shooting, and Florida Gov. Rick Scott has appointed a special prosecutor and a task force to investigate.

"I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this. and that everybody pulls together, federal, state and local, to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened," Obama said. "So I'm glad that not only is the Justice Department looking into it, I understand now that the governor of the state of Florida has formed a task force to investigate what is taking place."

"It is humbling that President Obama took time from his busy schedule to talk about Trayvon and offer the support of the Department of Justice and other federal organizations," Martin's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, said in a statement.

The shooting has sparked dozens of protests and rallies in South Florida and across the country, including organized student walkouts from several Miami-area high schools Friday morning.

"I think all of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how does something like this happen, and that means that we examine the laws and the context for what happened as well as the specifics of the incident," Obama said.

Obama then addressed Martin's parents.

"But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he would look like Trayvon," Obama said. "I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and that we're going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened."

"The President's personal comments touched us deeply and made us wonder: If his son looked liked Trayvon and wore a hoodie, would he be suspicious too?" Martin and Fulton said. "We'd like to thank the President and the millions of people from around the world who have shown their support for Trayvon by participating in hoodie marches, rallies or through social media. We are all working together to not only get justice for Trayvon, but also to ensure that this kind of senseless tragedy doesn't happen to another child."
    Obama: Trayvon Martin Shooting a 'Tragedy' | NBC 6 Miami

I saw Trayvon's Mom speaking at the Million Hoodie Rally (I think) and she said she didn't even know how she was able to stand up for the last few weeks...just made me so sad. This poor family....going through SO much. I cannot imagine.

I know ,Lynnie. What parent cannot relate to letting a teenager go out to buy candy. Just buy candy. I have wept quarts over this, imagine what the family has gone through. This will be talked about for generations, but to what good now? A bright young light has been stomped out for no reason at all.
    monk likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sometimes words just fail me... this really is one of those times. the person who flour-bombed kim kardashian can be arrested but this zimmerman asshole hasn't been charged.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I was getting coffee this morning and an older couple was sitting at a table sharing 2 papers, the guy says "they're all wearing these sweatshirts, and they wonder why they get in trouble..." Uh, that kid didn't just "get in trouble"
    Posted from my iPhone
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I bet they'd find a way to arrest Zimmerman if Zimmerman were black and Trayvon was white or Hispanic...
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Unfortunately the Florida law specifically has the presumption against arrest written right into it. If a suspect raises 'stand you ground' the way the law is written and interpreted, the police cannot arrest unless they have probable cause refuting the claim. How it stands up to even the mildest of constitutional review is beyond me. The law completely circumvents the trial and jury process.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I was getting coffee this morning and an older couple was sitting at a table sharing 2 papers, the guy says "they're all wearing these sweatshirts, and they wonder why they get in trouble..." Uh, that kid didn't just "get in trouble"
    Posted from my iPhone
    I guess they didn't realize that he was wearing a sweatshirt/hoodie because it was raining. SMH. This whole story has me really upset and afraid for a number of reasons. I still haven't been able to wrap my head around the whole situation.

April 10 (the day the grand jury in Seminole County is supposed to meet regarding this case) can't come soon enough.

I looked into the law there and couldn't figure out how the hell any of the relevant parts of the statutes would allow this guy to get off without any prosecution, and then found this gem:
    776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.
    (1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force.....

Ho-lee shit. This is fucking unbelievable. So the cops can just decide whether or not they believe someone who's just shot someone else dead, and that's the end of it. I don't believe I've ever seen any law like this that grants immunity from prosecution based on an affirmative defense (which is a defense where you admit guilt but claim the act was justified). That is so fucked. I wonder why none of the news coverage is making it clear that this is the aspect of the law that's screwing everything up.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Well, not the police exactly, the DA's office.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Good, but isn't anyone going to bring up the poor kid's name, because that's tragic too.
    I'm right there with you on that.

This horrible case has taught me that if I do not like someone, I should simply invite them to join me on vacation to Florida. Maybe we can visit the happiest place on earth before I kill them. This is insane.
    shedevilang likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

It's my day off and I wore a hoodie. I'm still here. Nobody threatened me, nobody stalked me, nobody called the cops that I was out and about. It's not the shirt.
    Gossiplover likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hit By Ban Bus!

So basically the guy decided that "walking around and looking around" was some sort of criminal instigation? This gun happy moron needs to get shot. I rarely wish death to another person but I hope to hell someone shoots him to death for "walking around and looking around" so he can know what it feels like.
    rockchick likes this.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information