Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: The shooting of 17 yr old Trayvon Martin

Not a big deal. I believe they can bypass a grand jury and just charge (if that's what they're going to do).

Sanford, Florida (CNN) -- Special prosecutor Angela Corey has decided against using a grand jury in the case involving the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, her office said Monday.

The grand jury, set to convene Tuesday, was "previously scheduled by the former prosecutor," said the statement from Corey.
    "The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case," her office said.

Corey said the investigation into the case continues. The state attorney has maintained that a grand jury is not needed to file possible criminal charges against George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who killed the teen February 26.

The case has triggered a nationwide debate about Florida's "stand your ground" law -- which allows people to use deadly force anywhere they feel a reasonable threat of death or serious injury -- and race in America.

Thousands have converged on Sanford to join in protests calling for Zimmerman's arrest and criticize the police department's handling of the case.

On Monday, a group of students calling themselves the Dream Defenders marched to the Sanford police station, singing and carrying a banner saying, "We are Trayvon Martin."The march began Friday in Daytona Beach, about 40 miles away, and continued through the weekend.

The marchers linked arms, sang and chanted as they faced the building's entrance Monday. Six of the demonstrators, wearing hoodies, were blocking the department's main entrance. Martin was wearing a hoodie when he was killed.

The Sanford Police Department said in a statement its office was "temporarily closed to the public ... due to the actions of student protestors. The students are currently occupying the space in front of the police department blocking the main entrance." The protest will not affect police and fire response to emergency calls, the department said.

"The city of Sanford hopes the actions of the students will be as peaceful and orderly as the previous rallies and marches have been," City Manager Norton Bonaparte Jr. said.

Two prosecutors are working to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to bring charges against Zimmerman, 28.

Corey said previously she has never used a grand jury to decide on charges in a justifiable homicide case.
    "We do a thorough investigation. We make that decision ourselves," she said.

It is unknown whether prosecutors have interviewed Zimmerman. In late March, Corey told CNN sister network HLN that prosecutors had yet to speak to him, nor did her office know where he was.

Zimmerman's attorneys say he is available anytime to talk to the special prosecutor.

Prosecutors are trying to unravel what happened the night that Martin was killed. Witnesses and attorneys for both sides have offered conflicting accounts.

What is known is that Martin ventured out from his father's fiancee's home in Sanford to get a snack at a nearby convenience store. As he walked home with a bag of Skittles and an Arizona iced tea, he was shot and killed by Zimmerman.

Sanford police questioned Zimmerman and released him without charges.

From there, the case has evolved into opposing allegations from Zimmerman's supporters, Martin's family and authorities.

Zimmerman says he killed Martin in self-defense after the teen punched him and slammed his head on the sidewalk, according to an Orlando Sentinel report that was later confirmed by Sanford police.

One of the responding officers saw a wound on the back of Zimmerman's head and a bloody nose, and noted that his back was wet -- indicating he had been lying in the grass, according to the police report.

An enhanced copy of a surveillance video showing him in police custody after the shooting appears to show a bump, mark or injury on his head.

Martin's family and supporters have dismissed the video.

They say Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, racially profiled the teen, who was black, and ignored a police dispatcher's directive not to follow him.

Zimmerman's attorneys interpret the call differently, and say the operator did not order Zimmerman not to follow Martin.

A recording of a 911 call made the night of the shooting captured someone pleading for help. Zimmerman has said he was yelling for help, according to his family members and his account to authorities.

Martin's relatives have said they are certain the voice calling for help on the 911 call is Martin's.

Audio experts Tom Owen and Ed Primeau, who analyzed the recordings for the Orlando Sentinel using different techniques, said they don't believe the voice is Zimmerman's.

They compared the screams with Zimmerman's voice, as recorded in a 911 call he made minutes earlier describing a "suspicious" black male.

The debate was further muddied when a witness, who declined to be identified by CNN, said she saw and heard the incident through her window.

When pressed on whether she could determine who was yelling, the witness said, "It was the younger, youthful voice (rather) than it was the deep voice I heard when they were arguing."

Zimmerman's attorneys have questioned the account, saying it was dark at the time of the shooting.

Until now, only friends and relatives of Zimmerman's have come forward to speak on his behalf. Zimmerman's attorneys have said he wants to share his story but can't because of threats to his safety and the possibility of charges.

Martin's family has said a Sanford police detective filed an affidavit saying he did not find Zimmerman's statements after the shooting credible -- but that Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee and State Attorney Norm Wolfinger met the night of the shooting and disregarded the detective's advice.

Neither police nor prosecutors have confirmed the existence of such an affidavit. And Wolfinger has vehemently denied that such a meeting occurred.

The two sides have also debated what Zimmerman whispered under his breath during his 911 call.

Martin's supporters said he uttered a racial slur; Zimmerman's lawyer said he told them he whispered "punks."

"We don't know" whether a grand jury will choose to indict, said Zimmerman's attorney, Craig Sonner.

Gov. Rick Scott appointed Corey as a special prosecutor as calls for "Justice for Trayvon" grew in the days following the shooting.

Authorities have said Zimmerman was not immediately charged because there were no grounds, at the outset, to disprove his account that he'd acted to protect himself.

The governor has formed a task force to review the "stand your ground" law.

Prosecutor won't use grand jury in Trayvon Martin shooting case - CNN.com
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    This just popped up on the CNN ticker.
    Special prosecutor in Trayvon Martin shooting has decided against sending the case to a grand jury, her office says.
    No surprise there. The family didn't want a grand jury either.

From what I hear, charges may be imminent. Zimmerman will probably be charged with manslaughter.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    No surprise there. The family didn't want a grand jury either.

From what I hear, charges may be imminent. Zimmerman will probably be charged with manslaughter.
    good. i was worried that no grand jury meant no charges.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

^ That's what I thought too, glad to see I was wrong. Hopefully they file charges soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Anyone see that story about the lighted sign that some flipping idiot put up about Trayvon??? Wtf? This case already has so much tension and wrong doings involved in it,...it is hard to believe someone wants to cause more strife in the situation.

CNN is breaking news that Zimmerman's legal team has dropped him because they have lost contact with him. I wonder if he fled the country or committed suicide.

ETA Here's the story. Evidently, Zimmerman set up a website to raise funds for his legal defense as well:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/justic...html?hpt=hp_c1

George Zimmerman's former attorneys talk to Anderson Cooper about their decision to distance themselves from their former client, tonight at 8 p.m. ET on AC360 Trayvon Martin's parents talk to Piers Morgan about the latest developments in the investigation of their son's death. Watch live on CNN at 9 p.m. ET tonight.
    Sanford, Florida (CNN) -- Attorneys for neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who authorities say fatally shot an unarmed teenager in Florida, said Tuesday they have lost contact with their client and will no longer represent him.
    "He has gone on his own. I'm not sure what he's doing or who he's talking to," said legal adviser Craig Sonner. "If he wants us to come back as counsel, he will contact us."

Sonner, who said the last time they had contact with Zimmerman was Sunday, spoke to reporters in Florida with attorney Hal Uhrig.
    Uhrig said Zimmerman contacted the office of the special prosecutor appointed to lead the investigation on his own.

"One of the things every defense attorney tells his client is don't talk to the prosecutors," said Uhrig, adding that he is concerned about his former client's "emotional and physical safety."

Uhrig also seemed to suggest that Zimmerman had left the state of Florida.

"For those of you engaged in the late Easter egg hunt looking for him, you can stop looking in Florida. Look much further away than that," he told reporters.
    About Zimmerman, Sonner would say only, "He's in the United States."

"I still believe that he was acting in self-defense that night. Nothing that I've said about him, or this case, has changed in any way. I just can't proceed to represent a client who doesn't stay in contact with me," said Sonner.

Although details of the February 26 incident remain murky, what is known is that 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, an African-American, ventured out from his father's fiancee's home in Sanford to get a snack at a nearby convenience store.

As he walked back with a bag of Skittles and an Arizona Iced Tea, he was shot and killed by Zimmerman, who is Hispanic and who had called 911 to complain about a suspicious person in the neighborhood, according to authorities.

Zimmerman told Sanford police the shooting was self-defense. The fact that he has not been charged with a crime has provoked demonstrations and calls for his arrest.

Martin's death has triggered a nationwide debate about race in America and Florida's "stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force anywhere they feel a reasonable threat of death or serious injury.

Special prosecutor Angela Corey has not indicated when she will decide whether to file charges against Zimmerman.

Corey, assigned to oversee the investigation, announced Monday that she would not present the controversial shooting case to a grand jury. A grand jury set to convene Tuesday was canceled.

"The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case," Corey's office said.

But some legal experts say Corey's announcement could signal an imminent decision on Zimmerman.

"I would anticipate she will move quickly on this," said Paul Callan, a former New York prosecutor. "I think you'll see her come down with charges probably very, very soon."

On Tuesday, Martin's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, said they were somewhat relieved that a decision on charges would not rest with the grand jury, but rather with Corey.

"I have faith in her," Martin said.

Zimmerman recently launched a website, to warn supporters about groups that falsely claim to be raising funds for his defense and to solicit donations for himself.

"The support has been overwhelming in volume and strength. I thank you all and ask that you permit me the time to respond to each one of you personally," he wrote on the site Tuesday.

He included a quote that he attributed to Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing."
    "I am the real George Zimmerman," declares the website, set up over the weekend.

"On Sunday February 26th, I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life. This website's sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries."

The statement posted on therealgeorgezimmerman.com warns viewers that "some persons and/or entities have been collecting funds, thinly veiled as my 'Defense Fund' or 'Legal Fund.' I cannot attest to the validity of these other websites as I have not received any funds collected, intended to support my family and I through this trying, tragic time."

The site includes a link through which viewers can donate money to pay for Zimmerman's lawyers and living expenses "in lieu of my forced inability to maintain employment." Zimmerman pledges to "personally maintain accountability of all funds received."

"I am grateful to my friends that have come to my aid, whether publicly or personally, never questioning my integrity or actions, understanding that I cannot discuss the details of the event on February 26th, and allowing law enforcement to proceed with their investigation unhindered," Zimmerman, 28, wrote elsewhere on the site. "Once again, I thank you for your patience and I assure you, the facts will come to light."

Until now, only friends and relatives have come forward to speak on Zimmerman's behalf.

Zimmerman's now-former lawyers and a friend confirmed the authenticity of the website. The friend, Frank Taaffe, told CNN sister network HLN that while the site is being used to raise funds for a legal defense, that doesn't mean Zimmerman expects to be charged in connection with Martin's death.

"That has nothing to do with it," Taaffe told HLN's "Issues With Jane Velez-Mitchell."

Fulton said Tuesday that it's Zimmerman's right to have a website, but Martin said he feels Zimmerman is raising money off his son's death.

Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for Martin's family -- which also has a site raising funds to support its efforts -- said it's unfair that Zimmerman is still free to express his views and solicit money.
    "If the situation was reversed, Trayvon Martin would have been arrested day one, hour one," Crump told CNN's "AC360˚" on Monday night. "We believe Zimmerman should have been arrested and put into jail. This situation with this website is a luxury that Trayvon Martin doesn't have and never would have had."

Sanford police questioned Zimmerman and released him without charges. Authorities have said Zimmerman was not immediately charged because there were no grounds, at the outset, to disprove his account that he'd acted to protect himself.

Thousands have converged on Sanford to join in protests calling for Zimmerman's arrest and criticizing the police department's handling of the case.
    A marked Sanford police car was shot several times early Tuesday, authorities said. The car was parked in an elementary school parking lot "as a visible deterrent due to tour buses using the school property to park during the day and evening hours," according to Sanford police spokesman Sgt. David Morgenstern. The buses have been frequenting the area since the shooting, Morgenstern said.

There was no one in the vehicle at the time of the shooting, thought to be about 4:30 a.m., police said. Residents called authorities to report shots fired, Morgenstern said.

The car was hit "several times," he said. Glass was shattered and the car's body was pierced. Police are inspecting the vehicle in an evidence processing unit, he said.

The shooting was the first violence reported that may have been related to Martin's death, Morgenstern said. There were no injuries, and the shooting is under investigation.
    Last edited by hustle4alivin; April 10th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

Hmmmm........and the plot thickens.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's on the run and winds up killing himself.

He included a quote that he attributed to Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing."
    "I am the real George Zimmerman," declares the website, set up over the weekend.

Truimph of evil? What is he... superman?!

he's ....coooo.... coooo...
    the birdie comes out of the clock
    Just Kill Me likes this.

They hadn't talked to him in two whole days so they dropped him? That is a bullshit lie. They definitely had other reasons to do so.
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post

Truimph of evil? What is he... superman?!

he's ....coooo.... coooo...
    the birdie comes out of the clock
    He's got issues. He has some sort of hero complex which drove him to police the neighborhood like some sort of modern day Rambo and then shoot an innocent kid, and now act like he's some symbol for good triumphing over evil.

I wonder if he'll try to represent himself. He's got the ego for it.
    Just Kill Me likes this.

Wouldn't be too surprised if he became this election's 'Joe the unqualified plumber.'
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    They hadn't talked to him in two whole days so they dropped him? That is a bullshit lie. They definitely had other reasons to do so.
    This!! Now they believe we are stupid!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    And, much like all the quotations erroneously attributed to Albert Einstein, there is no evidence that Edward Burke ever said this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    He's got issues. He has some sort of hero complex which drove him to police the neighborhood like some sort of modern day Rambo and then shoot an innocent kid, and now act like he's some symbol for good triumphing over evil.

I wonder if he'll try to represent himself. He's got the ego for it.
    Exactly, except I don't think he's going to man up and deal with the mess he created. I could see him going to South America and trying to turn himself into some sort of vigilante justice superhero in his own mind.

He's left it all behind because there's no going back. Even if he shakes it off and manages to get through all this, he'll always be waiting for the day when someone shoots him for justice.

Thread Information