Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Scott Peterson's Death Penalty Sentence Reversed

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Does it not tell you anything that the EU *banned* the sale of pharmaceuticals for "capital punishment, torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" in 2012.
    In all honesty, if they don't want to sell the US those materials, that's fine. That attitude obviously swings the other way, when we refuse to sell other countries items that they might use for a policy that we are against. Moreover, I don't believe that lethal injection is any more humane than just hanging someone, which results in instantaneous death, and which uses materials you could get basically anywhere.

As far as the list of other countries being for or against the death penalty, I think it's pretty irrelevant. I think a lot of countries have swung in completely the opposite direction of applying justice to someone who creates egregious crimes. Mark David Chapman has been up for parole like 11 times since he shot John Lennon down in cold blood. Edmund Kemper, who killed 10 people, has been eligible for parole since 1979.

^^^^
    no offence but i doubt there's anything the US could refuse to sell to Europe on human rights grounds... especially not under this administration.
    Novice and czb like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    no offence but i doubt there's anything the US could refuse to sell to Europe on human rights grounds... especially not under this administration.
    At this point, agreed.
    sputnik and Novice like this.

The US sold arms to Afghanistan, Iraq & the far East both before & after 9/11......

You know after a quick Google I can't see anything that the EU would want from the US.

There are more chemicals and hormones in US food, the FDA appears to lag behind the EU authorisations; the EU makes its own vaccines and indeed, I believe that the UK makes flu vaccines for Australia as well.
    If the IRA start blowing up women & children in Ireland & the UK again, they will want the US funding back & their US arms & explosives but that's it....

But back on topic, I cannot get behind the death penalty/govt sanctioned murder due to the prevalence of errors and bias against certain racial groupings.
    Why not spend the $ saved on each "death row" inmate's appeals & special housing costs, etc by giving them a whole life tarrif and spend the dollars saved on decent healthcare for the poorest members of society? I appreciate that $90k per inmate per year won't go very far but it would be a start.
    Last edited by Novice; August 27th, 2020 at 12:02 PM.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

well, the brits just resumed sales of weapons to saudi arabia despite a court deeming them unlawful so they can't really speak on that...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

well, the brits just resumed sales of weapons to saudi arabia despite a court deeming them unlawful so they can't really speak on that...
    I don't agree with that either, but I was pointing out that it's not just this regimen in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The standard definition of Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being without justification or valid excuse. Capital punishment is by definition lawful, because it is sanctioned and administered by the state. Mental illness is a very broad term. Do I think Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy were mentally ill? Yes - because thinking that you are entitled to brutally take the lives of scores of innocent teenagers is not mentally normal. But were they mentally well enough to be held responsible for their crimes? Yes.
    They had personality disorders. But they knew what they were doing was wrong, and went to great lengths to hide their crimes. Mentally ill? Sure, but they don't meet the standards of an insanity defense because of that. There was a guy in my neighborhood growing up who stabbed and killed a little neighbor girl as she played in her front yard. After the murder, he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, but they put him on meds and declared him fit for trial. He was convicted and sent to prison. Not saying he was fit for society, but he wasn't on meds when the murder happened so wasn't he insane then?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

the fact that the US is willing to convict an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic as if he were a regular person tells you everything you need to know about this country's justice system. but even if you don't give a shit about human rights and a fair and objective justice system, look at recidivism rates in the US compared to countries with more civilized justice systems and the US' are always much higher, but the fact that people are more concerned with punishing than with making society safer overall and having less recidivism, also tells you everything you need to know about what the interests and motivations are. and i won't even get into privatised, for-profit prisons or the bail system which are also beyond fucked up.

the longer i live in the US, the more convinced i am that it doesn't deserve to be qualified as a fully developed country.
    Trixie and OrangeSlice like this.

The schizophrenic's-who-commit-murder issue is pretty murky.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    In all honesty, if they don't want to sell the US those materials, that's fine. That attitude obviously swings the other way, when we refuse to sell other countries items that they might use for a policy that we are against. Moreover, I don't believe that lethal injection is any more humane than just hanging someone, which results in instantaneous death, and which uses materials you could get basically anywhere.

ok - this may be tangential but i always found it interesting. one of the last CP executions in CA (san quentin) was delayed because the lab that makes the lethal cocktail refused to supply it. i don't know if it's because they were against CP or they were afraid of liability - eg, if one of the meds doesn't kick in it could cause suffering. and then SQ had to find a lab that would supply it and it was difficult.

carry on.

Just a few random thoughts.
    The man's daughter requesting DNA testing on evidence after her father got the DP & was "put to death" (or however you want to put it), claimed his confession was coerst (by the local police( & the police won't DNA test the evidence as it can only be requested by the convicted person - who in this case died in 2006....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9157556.html

Then there is that it's not "humane". I won't discuss this but if you want to know what happens, including convicts helping executioners find usable veins in the case of some IV drug users..... You need to read this article. TBH I think that if you're pro-DP you should read it anyway to see how some of them go.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/executi...hed-executions

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ok - this may be tangential but i always found it interesting. one of the last CP executions in CA (san quentin) was delayed because the lab that makes the lethal cocktail refused to supply it. i don't know if it's because they were against CP or they were afraid of liability - eg, if one of the meds doesn't kick in it could cause suffering. and then SQ had to find a lab that would supply it and it was difficult.

carry on.
    if i'm not mistaken, that's happened in various states where executions have been delayed because they couldn't procure the drug cocktail, either from US companies or overseas.
    it wouldn't surprise me if they end up having to buy those drugs from china or another country that the government loves to denounce as backward but with whom it has more in common than they care to admit... even the russians haven't executed anyone in almost 25 years.

even the russians haven't executed anyone in almost 25 years.
    yeah they just poison them...
    sputnik and robertmarilyn like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

if i'm not mistaken, that's happened in various states where executions have been delayed because they couldn't procure the drug cocktail, either from US companies or overseas.
    it wouldn't surprise me if they end up having to buy those drugs from china or another country that the government loves to denounce as backward but with whom it has more in common than they care to admit... even the russians haven't executed anyone in almost 25 years.
    it may be that it happened in several states. i just remember the SQ case because there were so many demonstrations and created large traffic issues. the road where they had the demonstrations was in front of the ferry building lot that has a view of SQ. can't actually have it at SQ since it is down a private road that didn't allow access (i know this because once i tried to ride my bike there).
    sputnik likes this.

The SQ executions were paused as an inmate challenged that the drug giving a sedative isn't effective enough which was upheld in court.
    The court said either go 1 injection or have an anethatist present - the prison oppted for the 2nd option but couldn't find an anesthest that would agree to do it by the deadline.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information