Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Samoa arrests vaccination critic amid deadly measles crisis

I had shingles a couple of years ago. The doctor asked me if I'd had an organ transplant or chemo in the last 12 months and I hadn't. It was brought on by severe stress. I was lucky that I'm relatively healthy minus my aches and pains and that it didn't go into my eyes (I had it all across my neck and the bottom of my face). For months after it had disappeared, I could feel it tingle and scratch even though it was gone. I can't imagine if I were older and my skin were more sensitive or if I had other immune issues. But at least I don't need to get a shingles shot! /knock on wood

Which reminds me that I need to get a flu shot...also, one of my coworkers developed pneumonia and she's 40ish. I think pneumonia shots are only OK for people 60+?
    robertmarilyn likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I had shingles a couple of years ago. The doctor asked me if I'd had an organ transplant or chemo in the last 12 months and I hadn't. It was brought on by severe stress. I was lucky that I'm relatively healthy minus my aches and pains and that it didn't go into my eyes (I had it all across my neck and the bottom of my face). For months after it had disappeared, I could feel it tingle and scratch even though it was gone. I can't imagine if I were older and my skin were more sensitive or if I had other immune issues. But at least I don't need to get a shingles shot! /knock on wood

Which reminds me that I need to get a flu shot...also, one of my coworkers developed pneumonia and she's 40ish. I think pneumonia shots are only OK for people 60+?
    I got one when I turned 60.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    I have a friend who can't vax her children. She HATES all these anti-vaxers because they put her children at risk.
    She has 4 - oldest got the vax set as a child & was fine. 2nd almost died - she had a horrible reaction to it that has left lift time consequences. After her 2nd child was so ill, her mother told my friend that when she got her vaxed, she almost died. She was so angry at her mom - figured this could have been avoided if she had only known. Anyway, she didn't vax her younger 2. understandable in her case.
    2nd child is living in a setting where she gets the medical help she needs 24/7, they could no longer provide the care she needed.
    That's so awful! What kind of reaction did the 2nd have?

I run to get my flu shot every year and if there's a vaccine available for anything, I take it. My co-worker, who's not an antivaxxer, was poopooing the flu shot when I told her I got mine and reported that she would rather get the flu. Well, guess who's out of work this week with the flu?
    Waterslide likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Elite Member

She almost died, was in a coma for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    That's so awful! What kind of reaction did the 2nd have?

I run to get my flu shot every year and if there's a vaccine available for anything, I take it. My co-worker, who's not an antivaxxer, was poopooing the flu shot when I told her I got mine and reported that she would rather get the flu. Well, guess who's out of work this week with the flu?
    Which reminds me...I need to do that toute de suite.

Most people I know say they won't get the flu shot. I think it's bizarre. People also tell me you always get sick from it, which I don't. I got a little ill/tired when I got a tetanus/diptheria shot because that went into the muscle and started a whole fibromyalgia thing with me, but it went away in 24 hours. BFD.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I got it for the first time last year. I never got it before because I almost never got sick but when I started my current job a little over 2 years ago, I got super sick that first winter from all the travelling I have to do, way more than at my previous job. So after that I started getting the shot since I’m exposed to a lot more germs in airports and planes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

i can understand why people don't get the flu shot ... it's really a crap shoot. the flu shot manufacturers make an educated guess about which flu strain they suspect will hit during the flu season. they are not always correct. but when they are correct, if you get the shot and you are exposed, the odds are pretty good that you will be protected. but if they are wrong about the strain, it is really a waste.
    Beeyotch and robertmarilyn like this.

I pretty much never get the flu shot but both my husband and I work from home and don't commute on public transportation. I do have elementary aged kids but we somehow seem to be pretty good. When I was immune suppressors a 5 years ago I got the flu shot. My kids get all their shots, no options there.

I have a friend whose son had brain cancer at 5 and she can't immunize him. I just think of kids like her that are protected through herd immunity.

I also feel very strongly that my generation has NO idea what some of these diseases did to people and how serious they are. We've all been protected and never knew anyone with polio or smallpox or whooping cough. In this ignorance they are making decisions that effect thousands of people.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I only found out a couple of years ago that I was one of those children who have to rely on herd immunity. Apparently I couldn't have at least one childhood vaccination (whooping cough, I think) because of a strong medical contraindication on my paternal side.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information