Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Richard Ramirez, "The Night Stalker," has died

Good riddance.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

The death penalty, despite a dysfunctional appeals process, is going to be on the California books for a long time. In 2012, a group pushing Prop 34, tried to have the death penalty replaced with Life without Parole. Despite the death penalty opponents outspending death penalty supporters about 6 to 1, Prop 34 was defeated by a popular vote of 53% to 47%.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Why was he still on death row???? If he was convicted in 1989, you would have thought he'd already be dead. How many flipping years will they continue to let them appeal for cripes sake?? There should be a 2 year limit and then get rid of them!
    oh, this little thing called due process.

and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    There's a de facto moratorium on executions in California.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

He was originally caught when he was almost beaten to death by an angry mob who had figured out who he was while he was trying to steal a car. The LAPD saved him from certain death.

This makes me wish I believed in hell.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

If you read up on him, he is one of the most unrepentant serial killers ever. No remorse - reveled in what he did. No question of guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If you read up on him, he is one of the most unrepentant serial killers ever. No remorse - reveled in what he did. No question of guilt.
    Right, he was souless and they could have run him through a meat grinder for all I care. Due process was never given to his poor victims.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I wonder if there will be refusal to take his body, like Tsarnev's, even though his death count is much higher.

We give even animals like this due process, because we aren't animals.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Rot in hell, psycho!
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

exactly. look at the countries and societies that don't respect that, and ask yourself: are these places you would want to live? these are the countries that carry out summary executions, hasty trials, have abhorrent prison conditions, stone women to death for adultery, condemn rape victims to prison or worse, and yeah, they'll let mobs have their way with child killers.

it's not supposed to be an eye for an eye unless you want to go back to living in biblical times with a bunch of half-savage shepherds and troglodytes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I wonder if there will be refusal to take his body, like Tsarnev's, even though his death count is much higher.

But we also put down animals who can't be trusted not to kill.

Not all that familiar with the details here, but was there doubt in his case? If not, I don't know why exactly he is entitled to an appeals process that is just a black hole where nothing is ever resolved. Just call it what it is, life without parole.
    Kathie_Moffett and greysfang like this.

Yeah, but he killed Peter Pan (California serial killer Richard 'Night Stalker' Ramirez dies - KansasCity.com). If you can't summarily execute the murderer of a beloved fairy tale character, then what justice is there?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    exactly. look at the countries and societies that don't respect that, and ask yourself: are these places you would want to live? these are the countries that carry out summary executions, hasty trials, have abhorrent prison conditions, stone women to death for adultery, condemn rape victims to prison or worse, and yeah, they'll let mobs have their way with child killers.

it's not supposed to be an eye for an eye unless you want to go back to living in biblical times with a bunch of half-savage shepherds and troglodytes.
    ^^^ I'm against all that stuff, although from some of my past visceral posts, it probably seems like I'm in favor of it. Ramirez benefited from a screwy appeals process, lawyers who used every trick in the book to delay the trial and a war in California between avowed supporters and opponents of the death penalty. People are going to be frustrated and vent some serious anger about the fact that he died peacefully in prison and had a bunch of twisted, ardent fans.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

kthxbai
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

i don't know about dying 'peacefully' in prison. it's not high on my list of ways i want to go. i get that people get angry with crimes but i just don't understand why people equate justice with vengeance. they are not the same thing nor do you ever want to live in a society where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i don't know about dying 'peacefully' in prison. it's not high on my list of ways i want to go. i get that people get angry with crimes but i just don't understand why people equate justice with vengeance. they are not the same thing nor do you ever want to live in a society where they are.
    Vengeance is a broad term, though. For some people, death penalty represents the ultimate vengeance, but it's not like you can kill Ramirez 13 times - one for each victim. Killing him after exhaustive appeals and in a very antiseptic setting (especially as compared to the way he arbitrarily and tortuously dispatched other people) is a very pale re-balancing of the damage that was wrought by this guy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information