Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant mom says sandwich arrest was 'horrifying'

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    trashy? well, thats me then. I will have my bottle of tea if I'm thirsty , while I shop. I don't eat anything that is weighed by the pound though. I've also gone shopping and got a headache, and didn't have anything with me, so i opened a bottle of tylenol, took them, and paid for the bottle at the checkout.

then i went home to my trailer and sat on my porch, with my crocs, and rifle, shooting beer cans and lizards.
    Don't lie...you know you were wearing Uggs!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    On a hot summer day, I sometimes host family get-togethers in the frozen food aisle at Costco. I'll grab some nearby steaks and then grill them on one (sometimes two) of the George Foreman grills that I borrow from the appliance section. My cousin Otis drags over one of the display lounge chairs from the other end of the store so that Aunt Mable is comfy. And of course, we bring over one of the large-screen TVs in case the Jaguars are playing.
    OMG! He's a Jaguars fan!!!!! get P6 in here immediately!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

My mother never let us kids eat anything in the store before she paid for it, and I do the same with my son. I have made it clear to him we don't eat things in the store, and to wait untill we get to the car now he never asks to eat anything in the store, he just asks "can I eat a granola bar when we get to the car?" That's just us, and I feel more comfortable doing things this way because there has been times I couldn't actually pay for my groceries (declining cards) I couldn't imagine having to explain how I opened up shit while shopping and figuring out how I'm going to pay now LOL.

As for this story, this was definately overkill to take their child away, and the arrest etc. I don't see why they just didn't let them pay for the damn food and be done with it.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

I must confess that I did something much like this recently. I was in the store with my girlfriend and both of us were starving. We got two different Tastykakes and ate them as we shopped. The difference is that I made sure to pay for them once we got in line. I even went through the shopping cart bent on finding the wrappers.

Nowadays I might drink a soda or tea as I shop. When I want to do this I grab the drink, ring it up quickly, ask for a Paid sticker and sometimes use that to hold the receipt on it. Theres never been a problem but I dont want one either.

Elite Member

Mmm. Tastykakes. What kind?

I used to work at a Candy Store in high school, which charged you by the weight of your bag - you could put whatever candy you wanted, but you paid $3.99 per pound.

We had the occasional "grazer", and there was no mistake where they could bring a wrapper & asked to be charged for the extra they ate - we just added a $1 or so to their total. Most either didnt notice, but some asked what the charge was for & we blatantly explained that we charged them for the NOT FREE candy they chose to consume & must have "forgot" to mention.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    OMG! He's a Jaguars fan!!!!! get P6 in here immediately!
    p6 only feels sorry for the Jaguar fans
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Seapharris7 View Post
    some asked what the charge was for & we blatantly explained that we charged them for the NOT FREE candy they chose to consume & must have "forgot" to mention.
    haha, great idea! hopefully they had the good grace to look embarrassed.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    haha, great idea! hopefully they had the good grace to look embarrassed.
    I hope so too, but unfortunately I think it's probably more likely that they indignantly snorted/rolled their eyes, etc upon being actually (shocker!) held accountable for what is essentially stealing. When I worked in retail (in high school and college) we once caught a couple of girls redhanded putting merchandise into their purses. The store manager confronted them and they acted confused and offended and then angrily suggested that they were being unfairly targeted because they were Hispanic. They tried to turn it around on the store employees for "harassing" them. I couldn't believe it. If I had attempted to steal something I would have been mortified, but not these two.

I find it interesting how some stores handle shop lifting. Some really do nothing at all, other (like this one) go way overboard.

I'm in the few that believe this kind of behavior is inappropriate. They couldn't purchase the sandwiches, eat them and then do their shopping? On top of the fact that it IS stealing, it's just gross. Who wants to eat while pushing around a shopping cart and picking up things in the store?

This reminds me of a story from when I worked at a Harry and David store. H&D is big on letting people sample things so any time someone would ask what something tasted like or what our opinion was on a product we would most likely either have it open for them to try or would just open it right there for them. This one time this idiot tourist woman came in pushing a stroller and picks up a bag of Wasabi Peas. She busts it open and eats some. She then proceeds to come over to me and say, "Wow, these are really spicy." I said, "Yes, wasabi is a Japanese horse radish"

She hands the bag back to me and says, "Well I can't give these to my grand daughter so I don't want them" and walks out the store.

I mean, SERIOUSLY??? You don't walk into a grocery store and open something then put it back on the shelf because you don't like it (although, I'm getting the feeling that some people do). Bitch should've been made to pay for it.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Mmm. Tastykakes. What kind?
    I honestly dont remember. Think hers were jelly filled and mine were chocolate glazed?

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    I'm in the few that believe this kind of behavior is inappropriate. They couldn't purchase the sandwiches, eat them and then do their shopping? On top of the fact that it IS stealing, it's just gross. Who wants to eat while pushing around a shopping cart and picking up things in the store?
    I dont approve of it either but Ive done it. Why? The line may be too long? Around here thats way too common. If I can run through the Self Check-Out quickly I will but if the line is reaching so far that you cant tell one from another and people are starting to get confused and complain, no, sorry, Ill eat it and pay later. Im shopping after all. Who knows how long Ill be there? I dont intend to spend most of it in line by going through that ridiculously long line twice. Once for a small sandwich, Tastykake or even drink and the other for my groceries. Its way too much hassle.

I used to give my kids the first slice of the loaf of bread to eat while we were shopping, but I always double checked to make sure I hadn't forgotten my wallet and quit once they got beyond the toddler phase. I don't think I would go so far as to do it with a whole sandwich, but as long as a person pays for it, I don't see it as a big deal. It becomes shoplifting when you leave the store without paying for an item. That was the law when I worked retail, so that's what I go by
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I keep going back to the fact that they bought $50 worth of groceries. Why would the store think they intentionally meant to steal the sandwiches? It would have been so much better for the store to point out the oversight, let them pay and be on their way. So what happened to the groceries they did buy? Did they spoil because the store detained them?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Eh, just because they spent $50 doesn't mean they wouldn't try to skim $5 off their bill. They couldn't just walk out with everything without paying.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, Pippin's stories about "forgetting" to pay for beer in the grocery store. Same difference. People try to get away with crap like this and then play innocent if they're caught.

Do I think the store overreacted? Yes. Do I believe they "forgot" to pay? Not likely.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

i work as a cashier and lots of people do this (eat stuff and "forget" to mention it). most of the time it's parents giving their kids a pretzel to eat and by the time they're at the cash desk, the pretzel is mostly gone. i always put the stuff on their bill if they "forget" to mention it and i see it, and when i tell them something like "...and a pretzel..." some even act all bitchy like "oh, i thought it was obvious so i didn't tell you". yeah right, fuck you. i can tell the difference very well between someone who genuinely forgets something in their shopping cart and someone who deliberately doesn't tell me.
    sorry for the mini-rant.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information