Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant mom says sandwich arrest was 'horrifying'

It must be a bit of a regional thing, I guess? (And the couple had just moved from another state.) This is definitely done around here. I don't think I would do it with a sandwich, but I've opened cracker boxes for my kids, and I've absolutely chugged some juice when I was pregnant and so thirsty and waiting in line for over ten minutes. Just close it back up and give them the package to scan.

I do generally bring snacks for my kids when we go out, but if I gave them something like a granola bar in a grocery store, how would the store then know that I had brought it with me and hadn't actually stolen it? I'd sooner give them something from a new package and then make a point of paying for the open package.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'll be weird since czb claimed trashy. I'm not smearing anything on the cart, I'm not eating anything myself - I DO drink while I shop sometimes. When I give my niece a pack of Dora gummies or something, I find it neither weird nor trashy. but whatevs, it takes all kinds, I guess.
    Hmmm.....Trashy is taken, weird is taken...I'll be gross then.

I will give my kid a fruit snack pack (or 2) while shopping because when I grab it from the shelf and he sees it, he wants it right away. Being 3 and also being Autistic (high end of the spectrum), He flips out when I do not give him one.
    I have to go grocery shopping, I have no one to watch my 3 boys, so I have to bring them. I want to get in and get out with the least amount of tantrums.
    That is the only time, usually, he goes bonkers in the store. So yup, I open the box, and give him some fruit snacks.

I will also grab a water or pop when I'm thirsty.
    I agree with the above in the fact that I do not snack on anything that needs to be weighed.

I always pay for what I open.
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

This is insane. I don't care if she stuffed the sandwich down her pants and walked out. It's a sandwich! I drink at the store all the time and will eat something like bread or chips. You're not paying by weight. No biggie. I've opened the puffs for my baby, too. I can't believe a store can hold you for four hours before police arrive.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Awwwww, PCC let's kids have a free piece of fruit no matter what it is to munch on at the store. HEB let's kids buy one for whatever change they have at the front door... ooooh they totally should've gone to HEB, they have samples EVERYWHERE. I really miss HEB. You know what's trashy? Trashy is when you make an entire meal out of sample size servings from the soup bar, that's fucking trashy... perhaps the better word is cheap.

Anyway, it was a fucking sandwich, oh no anarchy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I've been trying to Google what store policies are with respect to this issue (consuming a store item before you pay for it) and it seems kind of unclear at best. If you don't know what their actual policy is, you are basically at the mercy of the whims of an employee who sees you eating food before you get to the checkout counter.

I've grocery shopped lots of times with my kids. If they are hungry going in, I'll stop at the snack bar at the store (Costco, BJ's, Target, etc.), and have them eat there before I start shopping, or they wait until I'm done shopping, and I buy them something when we leave. I'm in the DC area, and I've rarely seen people pay for an open item that they are consuming (or have already consumed) at the register.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Yeah ridiculous reaction and taking the kid for the night is outrageous. I do, however, find it weird and trashy to eat anything before you've paid for it, and I never see people do that around these parts. Take some food with you if you've got to bring starving kids along.
    trashy? well, thats me then. I will have my bottle of tea if I'm thirsty , while I shop. I don't eat anything that is weighed by the pound though. I've also gone shopping and got a headache, and didn't have anything with me, so i opened a bottle of tylenol, took them, and paid for the bottle at the checkout.

then i went home to my trailer and sat on my porch, with my crocs, and rifle, shooting beer cans and lizards.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    trashy? well, thats me then. I will have my bottle of tea if I'm thirsty , while I shop. I don't eat anything that is weighed by the pound though. I've also gone shopping and got a headache, and didn't have anything with me, so i opened a bottle of tylenol, took them, and paid for the bottle at the checkout.

then i went home to my trailer and sat on my porch, with my crocs, and rifle, shooting beer cans and lizards.

You made me almost choke on my cereal!!!!
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

On a hot summer day, I sometimes host family get-togethers in the frozen food aisle at Costco. I'll grab some nearby steaks and then grill them on one (sometimes two) of the George Foreman grills that I borrow from the appliance section. My cousin Otis drags over one of the display lounge chairs from the other end of the store so that Aunt Mable is comfy. And of course, we bring over one of the large-screen TVs in case the Jaguars are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    On a hot summer day, I sometimes host family get-togethers in the frozen food aisle at Costco. I'll grab some nearby steaks and then grill them on one (sometimes two) of the George Foreman grills that I borrow from the appliance section. My cousin Otis drags over one of the display lounge chairs from the other end of the store so that Aunt Mable is comfy. And of course, we bring over one of the large-screen TVs in case the Jaguars are playing.
    You are so competitive, Mohandas. Ok, you win.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    You are so competitive, Mohandas. Ok, you win.
    I'm sorry. I'm stuck here late at work, all alone in the building, and am just trying to divert myself a little....

The closest "eating while shopping" I've ever done was picking off a grape or two from the fruit section and that was only from the exact bags of grapes I'd purchase before I left. I'd never pick up an item like a sandwich or salami etc and chow down before I got to the register just cause I'm a messy eater and that wouldn't look cute chowing down while walking through the store.

Having said all that, the store and security took it way to far. If they had just given a reprimand or let the couple explain what had happened that fine. But to call the cops over a stupid sandwich is overkill and CPS taking their child for all of that. Way too much.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I hope the baby is not traumatized by this. How outrageous.

That said when I went shopping with mine when they were little I came prepared with my own food. No way would I open food an let them eat it in the store, nor would I. I just cannot see a situation where one would have to open food they have not paid for yet and waltz around the store eating it or letting your kids eat it. How hard is it to put a snack baggie in your purse, or feed your kid before you shop?

If I had a medical condition that struck at random times, I would keep medicine on me at all times. It is not the store's place to make sure your cranky/impatient selves or kids get their snack on before you pay!

In the news story, I think the dad should have run in bought immediate snacks sammys, then fed his wife and kid in the car if their hunger and strife was at such a critical stage. Then they could have shopped sated and full.

But having said all this, I don't give a shit if you want to feed your kids the food before you pay for it, not my business. I just wouldn't do it myself. I don't think it is trashy or weird though, lots of people seem to have this behavior, across all socio economic strata.

Another big reason I would be very leery to open food before I pay for it or kleenex etc. is that some security persons are dick heads with a hard on. You really never know when one will decide to harass you or claim you are stealing as in the above case.

I gotta say, I know most of the time it's not really a big deal but it's still not right to me, to consume something before you pay for it, even if you have every intention of paying. And it's true it opens you up for asshole store security personnel to push it way too far like they did in this case.

Also, if you look at it from the perspective of the store, they probably deal with a lot of theft/shrinkage. How are they supposed to know who is out to get away with something and who is well intentioned and would never dream of not paying for something?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm stuck here late at work, all alone in the building, and am just trying to divert myself a little....
    Lol, me too. The only one at work and here for a few more hours. Fun!

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information