Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant mom says sandwich arrest was 'horrifying'

Agreed. You don't eat the fruit and I don't buy store prepared sandwiches - or any other food item not prepared by me. These guys were overzealous and foolish. This will not help them. People frown at big business mistreating preggo ladies and sending their children to foster care for the evening.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Elite Member

I see people open boxes of food, especially to give some to their kids, all the time at the store, then pay for the opened box at the checkout. I can imagine getting lost, being in an unfamiliar place, winding up at the grocery store starving, and doing this, especially when pregnant.

Even if someone did steal this way, there's a limit to how much one can eat during a trip to the grocery store so I can't imagine this would be a huge problem.

So, nothing from the bulk aisle?

NO. nothing that can't be rung up when I get to the checkout. I don't steal but I will drink (I'm a notorious diet dr pepper fiend) out of a coke while shopping and will allow the kids to have a cracker or a pack of gummies while shopping.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I dunno, I guess I'm the only person who isn't totally buying their story. How do you eat a sandwich, save the wrapper and then "forget" to pay for it? And where was the second sandwich they also "forgot" to pay for? In her purse?
    She ate one, he ate the other. And it can be easy to forget and overlook a wrapper in the cart. Which is why I would never eat a whole sandwich. If I were them I would have bought the sandwiches, eaten them, and then returned to the store to shop. I've done that with bananas as they can't be weighed after you've eaten them.

However, I do sometimes open boxes that can be scanned later. I did this just a couple weeks ago because my child wanted a cracker. No one has ever complained or even looked at me funny.

I guess I could pay a few cents interest on the borrowed crackers though, if it would make Mohandas feel better

eta: OK, it doesn't actually say who ate the other sandwich.
    Last edited by Ravenna; November 1st, 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I dunno, I guess I'm the only person who isn't totally buying their story. How do you eat a sandwich, save the wrapper and then "forget" to pay for it? And where was the second sandwich they also "forgot" to pay for? In her purse?

Not saying the punishment fit the crime, but maybe they just figured they'd get away with it, and if they didn't, the store wouldn't make such a big deal. Kinda like Pippin with the beer she "forgot" to pay for, lol.
    I don't quite buy it either...
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    Yep, I agree. I also don't like it when people stand around the fruit section and eat a pound of grapes.

ETA: Zofia? really? Is 'Z' the new 'Y'?
    Zofia is the Polish version of Sophia. From their surname, I'm guessing they are Polish so I'll give them a pass there.

I've never eaten food before getting to the checkout, but that's just because the already prepared stuff in the supermarket doesn't appeal to me. I don't see anything dishonest about it. I most certainly have done the Kleenex thing - often - and I've paid for empty pop containers too.

New city, they've already gotten lost trying to find the store, potentially cranky 2 year old... yeah, I can see how they could honestly miss the wrappers in the cart.

Yeah ridiculous reaction and taking the kid for the night is outrageous. I do, however, find it weird and trashy to eat anything before you've paid for it, and I never see people do that around these parts. Take some food with you if you've got to bring starving kids along.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

OMG, WTF? Years ago when my oldest was about 2, he was cranky in Target, so I have him the bottle of vitamins I was buying to rattle, and went right out the door without paying for them. When I got home I realized I hadn't paid for them and turned back around. The manager was so chill about it. He said, you could have come back tomorrow. I can't imagine being arrested for inadvertent shoplifting. Outrageous.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Yeah ridiculous reaction and taking the kid for the night is outrageous. I do, however, find it weird and trashy to eat anything before you've paid for it, and I never see people do that around these parts. Take some food with you if you've got to bring starving kids along.

I agree with you. I also find it unsanitary as well considering how nasty shopping cart handles and such are. I'm not touching that stuff and then putting food in my mouth. Gross doesn't even come close to describing how nasty that is.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    well i guess i'm trashy, then.

i frequently pick up things (artisan bread, sandwich, etc) and either eat them myself or give some to my spawn. i do not leave a mess on the cart or anywhere else. i have always paid for my items and have never had a complaint from the checkout clerk or store manager. however, i would never do this with loose fruit or other items that are charged by weight. and i DO see others 'do that around these parts'.

I'll be weird since czb claimed trashy. I'm not smearing anything on the cart, I'm not eating anything myself - I DO drink while I shop sometimes. When I give my niece a pack of Dora gummies or something, I find it neither weird nor trashy. but whatevs, it takes all kinds, I guess.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'll be weird since czb claimed trashy. I'm not smearing anything on the cart, I'm not eating anything myself - I DO drink while I shop sometimes. When I give my niece a pack of Dora gummies or something, I find it neither weird nor trashy. but whatevs, it takes all kinds, I guess.

i am surprised that this received such a strong reaction from some posters.

I have been out with my brother and his IBS would act up so we would go to the grocery store and he would pop open a bottle of Imodium and drink half of it before we got to the check out counter. They never said a word to him when he put the bottle down after drinking it and paid for it. Some of them always gave him a look of, "Damn. I hope I never get a case of the runs so bad I have to drink outta medicine bottle before I get out of the store."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information