Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Police uncover bodies of mother, son and friend missing since last week

The latest disturbing developments:

Coroner: 2 Ohio women, boy stabbed and dismembered
    Coroner: 2 Ohio women, boy stabbed and dismembered - Yahoo! News
    MOUNT VERNON, Ohio Two women and an 11-year-old boy were stabbed to death and dismembered before their remains were put in garbage bags and lowered into a hollow tree, a coroner said Saturday, the latest gruesome details of the murders that have stunned this tiny town.

Preliminary autopsy reports show that Tina Herrmann, her son, Kody Maynard, and her friend Stephanie Sprang were stabbed multiple times with a knife in the back and chest Nov. 10, Knox County Coroner Jennifer Ogle said.
    "They were then placed inside large plastic garbage bags and later lowered into the hollow of a large tree," Ogle said in a statement. It's unclear exactly when they died or when their remains were put in the tree. There were no signs of sexual assault.
    The remains of the family dog a miniature pinscher named Tanner were found in the tree with the bodies, said Joe Pejsa, a family friend.

The victims disappeared Nov. 10 along with Herrmann's daughter, 13-year-old Sarah Maynard, who was found bound and gagged several days later in the basement of an unemployed tree-cutter, Matthew Hoffman. Hoffman is accused of kidnapping the girl and keeping her in the basement of his home in Mount Vernon, about 10 miles west of Howard in central Ohio.

Authorities say Hoffman provided information that led investigators to the bodies in a wildlife preserve in rural Fredericktown, where Amish buggies are a familiar sight. The 60-foot-tall American beech tree was chopped down Friday out of respect for the victims' families. The tree was too large to be transported out of the area, wildlife officials say, so its pieces were left in a mound in the preserve.
    Hoffman is the only suspect in the killings. His attorney has declined to comment.

Nobody knows how the killer managed to put the bodies in the tree, though wildlife officials say beech [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]tree [COLOR=#366388 ! important]trunks[/color][/color][/color] are typically hollow. Hoffman's former co-workers at a tree-trimming business say he had his own climbing equipment.

The disappearances and subsequent discovery of the bodies have unfolded like a horror movie in Mount Vernon, where people banded together to form search parties in hopes of finding the victims.

Pejsa, the uncle of Herrmann's former live-in boyfriend, Greg Borders, said he was the first person allowed inside the home after investigators cleared the scene. He cleaned blood off the bathroom walls with bleach so that his nephew wouldn't have to see it.

"It was terrible," he said. "Everything led back to the bathroom."
    Pejsa answered the door at Herrmann's home on Saturday, where he was moving out furniture with Borders, who did not want to be interviewed. A memorial of flowers and balloons was growing on the front lawn near a tree that Pejsa says Kody used as second base when he played kickball.
    The bodies were found at the base of the tree, and authorities had to cut away part of the trunk to get them out, Pejsa said he was told by investigators.

Nobody knows why the four were targeted, and authorities have not speculated on a motive. But the sheriff has suggested that Hoffman, who spent six years in a Colorado prison for arson and other charges, had been watching them for some time.

In the months before they died, Pejsa said, Borders and Herrmann suspected somebody was watching them. Several months ago, they saw a man dressed in camouflage sitting on a tree stump across the street, staring at their home. He said Borders couldn't say for sure if the man on the stump was Hoffman, but he believes it was him.

"There would be knocks at the door and people would take off," he said.
    Pejsa said the family has been moving some of the furniture out of the home and has hired a company to gut some of the rooms.
    "Greg has no intention of coming back to this place," he said.

Herrmann's manager at Dairy Queen, Valerie Haythorn, told The Associated Press that when she drove by last week after Herrmann missed a day of work, the lights were on at Herrmann's home and her truck was in the driveway. Thinking all was well, Haythorn kept driving.

When Herrmann missed a second day, Haythorn drove back to the house and this time she went inside.

"It was enough blood there that I knew there was a problem," she said. "Nobody cut their finger in that house."

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

In the months before they died, Pejsa said, Borders and Herrmann suspected somebody was watching them. Several months ago, they saw a man dressed in camouflage sitting on a tree stump across the street, staring at their home. He said Borders couldn't say for sure if the man on the stump was Hoffman, but he believes it was him.
    wtf! why didn't anyone help them?! why didn't they get a gun and shoot the bastard! yes i said it, someone acting like that deserves to be shot, fucking wierdo

^^ Well, I don't see what anyone could have done about it, except approach him, or call the cops to approach him. He wasn't doing anything criminally wrong, just creepy. But, maybe if the cops had confronted him, it would have scared him off.

Who knows though. Crazy sick people do crazy sick things.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

The scary part is that you have some really transient people (who have issues) who come into contact with other people and then become fixated on them. Along with this story, there was a famous one out in the DC area where a young woman was killed (and her body hidden) by a guy who had been doing handiman work at the house next door.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^^ Well, I don't see what anyone could have done about it, except approach him, or call the cops to approach him. He wasn't doing anything criminally wrong, just creepy. But, maybe if the cops had confronted him, it would have scared him off.

Who knows though. Crazy sick people do crazy sick things.
    exactly; this is why i call crazy people out on their shit (in the streets or the store) because they need to be held accountable, the reason they get away w/ shit is because no one says anything and im sick and tired of it. if this guy was doing this in my neighborhood growing up; he would have had a very big problem on his hands when it came to my dad to say the very least.

fucking psycho

And he killed their little dog too. Pure evil.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Looks like he was mental.

Killer Stuffed His House With Leaves, Kept Kidnapped Girl on Bed of Leaves

Matthew Hoffman, convicted killer of three, had house full of leaves.

By JESSICA HOPPER

Feb. 10, 2011

The Ohio man found guilty of holding a 13-year-old girl hostage after killing her family and stuffing their dismembered bodies in a hollow tree had an obsession with trees and leaves, police documents show.

Pictures of Matthew Hoffman's home reveal a living room stuffed with leaves, a bathroom lined with more than 100 bags of leaves, and a freezer that contained only a couple of red popsicles and two dead squirrels.

Hoffman, 30, is serving a life sentence for three murders and for the kidnapping and rape of the teen.

The two police officers from Mount Vernon, Ohio, who first entered Hoffman's home in November 2010 discovered mounds of leaves so high they feared that bodies could be buried underneath them.

"So much runs through your mind: What if someone is hiding under that pile? Or in this case, I thought, 'Is that where he's hiding the bodies,'" Mount Vernon Police Detective Craig Feeney told the Columbus Dispatch.

Matthew Hoffman's living room floor was covered in leaves. (Courtesy of Knox County Prosecutor's Office)

By the time police entered his home, Hoffman had already killed and dismembered Tina Hermann, her 11-year-old son Kody Maynard and Hermann's friend Stephanie Sprang.
    Police found Hermann's 13-year-old daughter in the basement of Hoffman's home. She was bound hand and foot and was confined to a makeshift bed of leaves.

A teenage girl held hostage in Hoffman's basement for days was found bound on this makeshift bed of leaves and blankets.(Courtesy of Knox County Prosecutor's Office)

Hoffman, an unemployed tree trimmer, confessed to investigators that he had made the bed of leaves and covered it with blankets. He told investigators that the little girl "liked that bed, it was extremely comfy and I wanted to sleep on it."

While holding the girl hostage, he gave his victim the book "Treasure Island" to read and watched the movie "Iron Man" with her, according to his confession.

He also admitted raping the girl, who was found by police wearing "a white plastic bag that had holes cut out for her legs that she was wearing like a makeshift diaper," according to case files.

Moments after her rescue, the girl told police that she was late for school and asked if they could take her to school.

Unaware that Hoffman had murdered her mother and brother, the girl told police that she feared Hoffman had killed her dog. Hoffman would later confess to killing the dog because it would not stop barking.
    The girl also told police that the "suspect cut her finger with a knife, usually gagged her and that he was going to release her before Christmas," according to the records.

Hoffman's Obsession With Leaves Shows Signs of Mental Illness

Knox County Prosecutor John Thatcher said that the hundreds of bags of leaves found in the home were not connected to the murders.

"Knox County has never seen a case like this before. It has to rank there in Ohio history as one of the worst homicide cases," Thatcher said.
    Forensic psychologists said that Hoffman's obsession with leaves and trees were indications of mental illness and delusion.

"If trees gave him comfort at all and were familiar at all, that would explain why he would put the bodies in the tree," said Dr. James Alan Fox of Northeastern University who has written five books about serial killers.

Psychologists called the obsession with leaves bizarre and unique from other convicted murderers.

The walls in the bathroom of Matthew Hoffman's home in Mount Vernon, were covered with plastic bags filled with leaves.(Courtesy of Knox County Prosecutor's Office)

"It certainly suggests that he is likely to be mentally ill, mentally ill as compared to other killers who show up in the news like serial killers or psychopaths," Dr. N.G. Berrill, director of New York Center for Neuropsychology and Forensic Behavioral Science. "Serial killers, from professional point of view, they are not mentally ill. They have character disturbances, but they know what they're doing is wrong. They take too much pleasure, too much gratification to stop."

Berrill said that only Hoffman could explain why he appeared to stockpile leaves.

"It would take talking to him to find out what it means," Berrill said. "[Hoffman's delusions are] very elaborate delusions related to trees, what trees produce, being in and around on trees, putting people in trees."
    Hoffman was an unemployed tree cutter. Neighbors said that there were only two trees near his home.
    "He couldn't have possibly got that many leaves from that tree so he had to haul leaves from somewhere. I never saw him raking," neighbor Jeannette Columber said.
    Neighbor Henderson Butcher described his interactions with Hoffman as friendly.
    "He used to play around the trees around there a lot...throw ropes in trees and had like a hammock on there," Butcher said.

Other people said that Henderson would shoot squirrels to eat.
    "He was killing the squirrels because he doesn't grocery shop," neighbor Kara Fowler said. "He would actually kill the squirrels and eat them."

Matthew Hoffman's Freezer Contained Only Popsicles and Squirrels

The released documents show that police taped hours of conversations with Hoffman saying little. It was a bad dream that prompted him to confess. Hoffman told an investigator that he'd had a dream about being at a food processing plant.

"Hoffman said he opened a trash bag at the food processing plant and saw cut up body parts and he got a knot in his stomach and it all came back to him," according to the case files.

Hoffman asked an investigator to allow him to write the location of the bodies on a piece of paper and then shoot him in a faked escape attempt.

When police said they wouldn't agree to his terms, he shut up for two more days before telling police where to find he bodies.

The home full of leaves is in foreclosure, according to court records. Wells Fargo Bank initiated the proceedings Jan. 28.
    Source: Killer Matthew Hoffman Stockpiled Leaves in Ohio Home, Made Bed of Leaves for Kidnapped Girl After Killing Her Family - ABC News

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

That poor girl thinking she needed to get to school. Shows her intense trauma.

That's just horrifying. That poor girl.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Do we have any prisoner exchange programs with Brazil [fingers crossed]?

It must have taken forever to rake all those leaves.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Goofy fucker. Leaves. Dead squirrels. This kind of thing never turns out well.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Well. That's a shitload of crazy right there.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Just when you think you've heard it all.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

you know, if he hadn't killed 3 people, I'd be tempted to laugh a little. those fucking leaves everywhere is nutty like squirrel shit... not the dead squirrel's in his freezer's...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information