Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Search Father's Workplace for Remains of Missing North Carolina Girl

God, she looks like a bitch. She's actually smirking in her mugshot, like she's proud of herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Interesting, because the homeschooling thing has been bugging me. There are followups that should have taken place. A child not being in school is a big deal. Someone should have been out there investigating. In NC you must have a HS diploma or equivalent. Don't believe for a minute this woman does. And I never believed she went through all the proper channels. It is a pain in the ass.
    seriously? that's all that's required? graduating high school - or an equivalency - does not qualify you to teach.
    personally i think homeschooling should only be tolerated in very extreme cases and should be under very strict supervision and any parent who wishes to withdraw their kid from the school system should be rigorously tested and have to pass some kind of certification course.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    seriously? that's all that's required? graduating high school - or an equivalency - does not qualify you to teach.
    personally i think homeschooling should only be tolerated in very extreme cases and should be under very strict supervision and any parent who wishes to withdraw their kid from the school system should be rigorously tested and have to pass some kind of certification course.
    Yep. In NC & several other states, that's it. It's very lax. The only things you're really required to do is maintain vaccination records, keep an attendance sheet & have an annual standardized test done. You can even do the standardized test yourself. It's usually recommended that you have it done by an outside source but it's not required.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

I've noticed that you only hear about the home-schooling success stories: "John Doe studied at home and now he has been accepted into an ivy-league school!" Never the "Jane Doe studied at home and now nobody has seen her in three years."

you wouldn't let someone with a GED teach in a school so why are they allowed to teach their own kids at home? fucking insane...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

you wouldn't let someone with a GED teach in a school so why are they allowed to teach their own kids at home? fucking insane...
    Lesson 1 - if you ever murder someone, immediately start a home school and enroll the victim with backdated registration information.

Then, when people catch on to the fact that your "student" hasn't graduated in eight years, fly to Europe and ask Roman Polanski if he has a room to sublet.

Homeschooling in this country is a joke. Anyone can pull their kid out of school and "home school" them. It's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    oh my god. evil mofos in this world. sickening. she's dead and she's been dead for a while. hopefully they didn't put that poor child through a woodchipper though. jesus.
    You probably don't want to know this but a wood chipper & a sty full of pigs is the most effective method to get rid of a body.... Just remember to clean up the teeth afterwards.
    Free Charmed.

This story literally makes me sick to my stomach. That poor little girl went through so much in her short life. ("I'm going to be getting a Barbie leg" that really got to me)

And her father--basically sacrificed his daughter for this rotten bitch because he was lonely and horny. Disgusting.

Friends: Missing girl had happy life in Australia

Her stepmom is jailed, accused of trying to throw off investigators with a fake ransom note

James Nix / AP Zahra Clare Baker, 10, gets a hearing aid at an event at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C. in May. Police said Oct. 12 hat they believe someone killed the 10-year-old North Carolina girl whose bone cancer left her with a prosthetic leg and hearing aids.

By MITCH WEISS
    The Associated Press
    updated 10/14/2010 6:37:12 PM ET 2010-10-14T22:37:12

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Though Zahra Clare Baker was battling cancer that forced her to wear hearing aids and a prosthetic leg, friends who knew her in Australia say she was an outgoing, caring, happy girl.

Then her lonely single father moved her halfway around the world to North Carolina so he could live with a woman he met on the Internet. Now the 10-year-old with the freckles and wide smile is missing and presumed dead, and friends and family thousands of miles away are waiting anxiously for word about her fate.

"She was one of the bravest little girls you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting," Kim Wright, 44, a close friend of the family, told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Giru, Australia, where Zahra lived until two years ago. "She was always thinking of others."

Zahra's father and stepmother reported her missing over the weekend, saying they had last seen her in her bed at their home in Hickory, about 50 miles northwest of Charlotte, early on the morning of Oct. 9.

Police say they don't believe them. They've had trouble finding anyone outside Zahra's house who has seen her alive in recent months. That's made it difficult to narrow down places to search.
    "We've been going back and talking to everyone we can," Hickory Deputy Chief Clyde Deal said Thursday.

Zahra's stepmother, 42-year-old Elisa Baker, is jailed, accused of trying to throw off investigators with a fake ransom note. Her court-appointed attorney, Scott Reilly, says she is "scared to death" and very emotional about everything.

Zahra's father, Adam Baker, 33, hasn't been charged, but investigators haven't ruled him out as a suspect. Several telephone messages left for Adam Baker were not returned Thursday.

Wright said friends and family in Australia still hope Zahra is alive. She became friends with the little girl four years ago at a cancer fundraising event. She was sitting in a chair waiting for her head to be shaved to raise money when Zahra approached, took her hand and told her not to be scared.

Wright became something of a surrogate mother to the girl, whose biological mother left when she was a baby. Adam Baker raised her after that with help from his parents, Wright said, taking time off from the sugar mill where he worked so he could be with Zahra when she was diagnosed with bone cancer about five years ago.

Wright described a phone call from Zahra when she was in a children's hospital waiting to have her leg amputated.

"She told me they were having trouble with her leg because she was really sick. But then she said: 'It's OK because I'm going to be getting a Barbie leg so I don't want you to get upset,'" Wright said. "That little kid was more concerned about what I was feeling than what she was going through."

A few months later, doctors discovered tumors in her lungs. She had chemotherapy, but the treatment led to a partial hearing loss. Still, she remained upbeat, attending a camp for children with cancer and inspiring her fellow campers by taking part in all of the physical activities.

"She was missing a limb but she could still do anything that the other kids could do," said camp manager Mark McGregor. "She was an unbelievable kid and we're hoping like hell that you find her alive and we can get her back here."

Police say that's not likely. Documents and interviews with friends and neighbors in North Carolina paint a starkly different picture of Zahra's life there.

They say Elisa Baker had a short temper and would hit Zahra, that Social Services was called to investigate, but nothing was ever done.

"I watched her beat her and tried to stop her," said former neighbor Karen Yount, who filed a complaint against Elisa Baker for threatening to harm her daughter and her friends.

Former neighbor Kayla Rotenberry said she saw Elisa Baker hit Zahra and noticed bruises on the girl's face and body. She also said that Elisa Baker told her that Social Services was investigating.

"She was angry that people were getting into her business," she said. "We all tried to stop her. That little girl was so sweet. Always smiling through it all. She just wanted to be loved."

Wright says friends in Australia were suspicious of Elisa Baker when Adam Baker met her online in early 2008 and invited her to visit.

Elisa Baker told them she was she was a police officer who was shot in the line of duty. She also said she was a bounty hunter and had met celebrities.

"She told a lot of stories that never quite rang true," Wright said.

They were married that July in a small ceremony in Adam Baker's parents' backyard. In November, they moved to North Carolina. The family was less than thrilled, especially since Zahra's medical treatments were free in Australia.

"Adam was on his own for eight years with Zahra before he met (her) and I think he was lonely and I think that was his biggest downfall, really," Wright said.

The last time Wright saw Zahra, the little girl said she didn't want to leave her grandparents and friends. Wright hugged her and told her she would get to go to Disneyland.

"But she was nervous," Wright said. "She said she wanted to go for a day, but wasn't sure she wanted to live there. But when you're a 7-year-old kid, you don't get a choice. Your parents tell you what to do and that's the end of that discussion."

Friends: Missing girl had happy life in Australia - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Bronze Member

I'm sick of this shit.

If the parents can't tell the police/child welfare folks where she is (or offer some reasonable story other than a fake ransom note), lock them both up for a good long time. I can't think of a single valid reason why a 10-year-old child with medical problems is unaccounted for. Did they misplace her? Sell her? It's really, really hard for me to presume innocence in this case. The cops have to prove beyond a doubt that the stepmom and/or bio dad killed her, and it seems like low-life breeders (I won't call them parents) are getting better and better at muddying the waters enough to evade legal action.

I hope the bio dad's passport was confiscated.

On a shallow note: Who would move to another continent for that cow? Yeesh. She looks like a walking STD.

god rest her little soul.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

I feel for the little girl..her stepmom is scary looking, and mental too. I hope these two get whats coming to them for killing this little girl.

They've been searching everywhere. I have no doubt that her stepmother and/or father killed her or accidently killed her and did something to the body, but I don't think they'll ever find her.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Why didn't he let her stay with her Grandparents or at least send her back when he saw how she was treated?
    Or better yet, why not kill that souless cow?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My opinion? He's a fucking coward. Period.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information