Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Police forensics examine missing ABC staffer Jill Meagher's flat after purse found

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    She wouldn't have stood a chance even if she was sober. She was a slight woman and he was a gym freak. Unfortunately I think she knew all too well what happened. Apparently the details of the crime were so bad it made a male journalist actually vomit. (he tweeted that)
    Maybe, but she would not have put herself out there at all if she was more sober. She would have at least let the coworker go or called her husband. Poor woman. What a horrible way to go.

I hope you all will keep us informed of the trial,etc.
    Last edited by McJag; October 1st, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Maybe, but she would not have put herself out there at all if she was more sober. She would have at least let the coworker go or called her husband. Poor woman. What a horrible way to go.

I hope you all will keep us informed of the trial,etc.
    She did text her husband and ask him to meet her in the pub, but he'd fallen asleep and didn't get the text 'til too late. The poor man, I can't imagine what that'd feel like.

I think she'd walked home alone before, it was only a very short walk to her house and it's not like it was a super quiet area. It's not wise to walk alone at that time of night but the only one at real fault here is the POS that killed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    She did text her husband and ask him to meet her in the pub, but he'd fallen asleep and didn't get the text 'til too late. The poor man, I can't imagine what that'd feel like.

I think she'd walked home alone before, it was only a very short walk to her house and it's not like it was a super quiet area. It's not wise to walk alone at that time of night but the only one at real fault here is the POS that killed her.
    That is beyond dispute!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    As an ex-paranoid uber-conspiracy theorist, I have always had a fear and resentment for "Big Brother" and the idea of 24/7 surveillance, but in this case... I feel like the CCTV cameras were the only reason this evil prick was caught...

AussieCriminals.com.au has a good roundup, and gossiprocks being international I'm hoping this wont break some law to plaster this dirtbag's face on the thread. I wanna because in the new picks on him in the cops' backseat, arsehole is hiding his face. So he probably shouldn't have put himself on facebook...

source: Adrian Ernest Bayley | Aussie Criminals and Crooks

EDITED TO ADD:

Shit! Motherfucker was probably on the cops' radar because he has a history of sexual assault and violence! Just HANG this rabid dog from the highest tree :

source: Adrian Bayley ALLEGEDLY Raped and Murdered Jill Meagher | Aussie Criminals and Crooks
    The whole premise of the law is that he is innocent until found guilty.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The mainstream and social media really needs to shut down this mawkish reporting now or his lawyers will be able to go for a mistrial because too much of his criminal history and personal details are already out there.

Sadly, she's not the first woman to suffer this fate and unfortunately she won't be the last. I'm still not sure why this particular crime is attracting so much attention. Actually I do, she worked for the ABC so the media are treating her as "one of us". I highly doubt she'd be getting this much coverage if she was a hairdresser.

The shop where the CCTV pics were taken is already becoming a flower decked shrine a la St Diana. Aussies do love a good mourn. Just leave her poor family to grieve in peace now please. Still, it's knocked the footy player who got drunk, sorry "disoriented" in Vegas and fell off a roof off the front page, and page 2,3,4,5,6,7.......
    I so agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by arie_skop View Post
    FB is a control freak, it's so wrong they wont delete these pages.

Facebook ignores police pleas to remove pages

Date October 1, 2012 - 12:46PM

Megan Levy

Breaking news reporter

Hosier Lane's 20-metre long mural paying tribute to Jill Meagher. Photo: Penny Stephens

Facebook is refusing to take down a page that is inciting hatred after a man was charged with raping and murdering ABC employee Jill Meagher, according to Victoria Police.
    Chief Commissioner Ken Lay said that, while social media had been enormously helpful in the investigation into Ms Meagher's death, police had contacted Facebook over the weekend and asked the social media giant to remove a particular page.
    Several pages have been created inciting hatred after Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, was charged on Friday with raping and murdering Ms Meagher.
    "Now they've [Facebook] refused to do that, so we're just working our way through that about what we can do now," Mr Lay told radio station 3AW today.
    Advertisement
    "But it is disappointing, and when you see the public, the hatred that's incited by some of these sites, it is very much the antithesis of what we saw yesterday with 30,000 people taking to the streets saying 'Let's try and make this a safer and fairer community.'"
    Mr Lay said that, despite the horrific nature of the Irish woman's disappearance and death, Bayley, from Coburg, was entitled to a fair trial.
    "We will go through the process and let the courts make the determination and deal with it as they see fit. That's not for Facebook pages or anyone else to be taking justice into their own hands," he said.
    His comments come after an estimated 30,000 people marched down Sydney Road in Brunswick yesterday to honour the Irish woman, whose death has touched and united an entire city.

A 20-metre long mural (pictured above) has also been painted on Hosier Lane in the city with the simple, yet poignant, message: Rest In Peace Jill.
    The unnamed artist is believed to have painted the tribute along the wall of the Forum Theatre between midday and 7pm yesterday.
    Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said the mural captured the mood of the city following Ms Meagher's death.
    "Whether it stays longer term is probably a question for the new council, but it is an appropriate reminder to us at the moment," he told 3AW.
    "My suggestion would be we leave it for at least a short period of time before we decide whether it stays there permanently or not."
    The City of Melbourne issued a statement saying that while it was deeply saddened by Ms Meagher’s death, the size and "dominating presence" of the mural meant it was unlikely to remain in Hosier Lane in its current form.
    "The City of Melbourne has commenced engagement with the street art community about the best way to manage this piece," the statement said.
    "Hosier Lane is one of Melbourne’s most iconic laneways and is world-renowned for its diverse mix of street art. It constantly evolves and is a space that has traditionally been shared by Melbourne’s street art community."
    Meantime, Mr Lay said he had not witnessed an event such as the extraordinary march yesterday down Sydney Road, where Ms Meagher was last seen alive.
    "I cant remember anything like this in 37 years [in the police force]," Mr Lay said.
    "It's just extraordinary the impact it's had on our community.
    "I think it's an indication that we're a decent society that doesn't put up or doesn't want to tolerate these sort of crimes."
    Last week, Jill's distraught husband, Tom, pleaded with people on social media to stop posting comments about the man accused of raping and murdering his wife.
    Tom Meagher said the negative comments could have an impact on the criminal case against Bayley.
    "I just wanted to say very briefly that despite the fact that this is the worst thing we'll ever go through in our lives, I've been really humbled by the support from the Australian public, the fine efforts of police and all of the friends, family who've put their lives on hold to help us out," he said.
    "And while I appreciate all the support, I would just like to mention that negative comments on social media may hurt legal proceedings, so please be mindful of that."
    Facebook has been contacted for comment.

Sounds like he's already had death threats or similar, so now they will have to spend extra resources protecting him from the loonies.
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I hate to say this and will probably start WWIII, but she made herself a walking target. She made the decision to have way too much to drink.
    This is a position I would never have and never did put myself in.
    In the end you are responsible for your own actions. It would be very different if some creep took her from her own house or car cold sober.
    But I admit I fail to see how much fun one can have totally plowed. A couple of drinks? Sure. She had to have know she was going well over her limit and walked straight into the jaws of hell. Sober or only semi-buzzed she might have fended him off or at least had a chance. She left no margin for error. The only mercy here is that hopefully she never knew what happned.
    I agree with this to a point, its all about balance.
    I live in a rural area but we have a LOT of tourists. When I walk the dog at dusk/after-dark I'm always careful & have my maglite & phone handy. I always bear in mind that the best thing for me to do is run away, while by dog licks any attacker to death.
    Free Charmed.

A*O

Jeez. Not only was the media camped out at her "private" funeral in Mlbn today (Fri), they are also in Drogheda, her hometown in Ireland for a big memorial service. Enough already!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That sounds so mawkish.
    Free Charmed.

Why can't the media just leave her family and this case alone. No privacy and respect for the family.

This court case is going to be interesting.

Rightly or wrongly stuff like that always happens in big cases these days.

I don't think I would have a problem with the media and other people who I didn't know being at the funeral. I've had plenty of strangers at close family members' funerals, and it was actually comforting.

I would have a problem with the other stuff (Facebook) that might prevent the presumed guilty party from getting a speedy trial that would put him in jail as efficiently as possible.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information