Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police Claim a Confession in Etan Patz Case

Silver Member

I saw his Picture on a faceook page about missing kids last night.I can't even begin to imagine what his parent's must be going through.

Those poor parents, waiting all this time. Just sick.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I hope his family finally gets some closure ... but I'm struck with the lack of a record or even complaints of Hernandez at all. This isn't the type of crime that would be a once-in-a-lifetime event for the perpetrator. I've read a lot about Hernandez in the past few days and there is nothing in his past (pre- and post- Etan) that looks like a child killer. The NYPD even admitted that some of his details don't match up. I saw on the news last night that it was his brother-in-law that eventually turned him in ... why did he wait so long? It's been rumored that he confessed to multiple family members over the years. Why NOW do they buy his story, but didn't during earlier tips from other family members? I just don't think this guy fits, given the information released thus far. Hopefully, the police and FBI have more on him that they're not releasing ... this has to be horrific for Etan's parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Thanks for finding that. I was born in the late 70s and was 7 in the mid-80s and we were allowed to play outside all day until it got dark, but after dark I had to come in and my mom wouldn't let me walk around outside by myself at night. But I was elementary school aged after the Adam Walsh thing, and I think that murder scared the shit out of a lot of parents, mine included.
    Born in '71.
    In 1980, panic caused by the late Clifford Olson during a time when there were news of Etan and Adam gone missing made our parents ever so frantic. That one year, '80 to '81 when Olsen was finally caught and arrested, changed our lives forever.

There are so many Etans from then to today and because of that, the panic my parents felt passed onto me with my children. Sad yet true.
    I can't ever imagine the hole in the hearts of the parents who are missing a child. I'll do anything to prevent it. The fear... my gosh this fear!

Fuk you fukkers for doing this to us parents, our children!
    Where's that machine gun shooting emoticon?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Was sending a 7 year old down the block at 9:30 at night to a corner store enough to raise eyebrows in 1981 like it is now? I was still too young in '81 to understand what was run of the mill back then.

IME, yes. I was 10 in 1981 & I didn't have any friends whose parents would have sent them out 9:30 at night alone.
    Even when I would be at a friends house down the street, when it was time to go back home, if it was after dark, my mom or dad would stand outside on the sidewalk & watch me walk up the street, or my friends parents would stand outside & watch till I got to my house. It was like this with all the kids on my street that I was friends with. If it was after dark, someone's parents would always be watching to make sure their own kid or their kid's friend got home safely.
    I think 7 y/o is really quite young to be running an errand 9:30 at night, even back then.

My ma used to send me to the drug store, 5 blocks away, with a blank check in my hand to pick up their prescriptions when I was a kid. Nobody thought anything of it. I walked to kindergarten by myself and the rest of school as well. We were ALL taught never to talk to strangers, but there wasn't as much publicity (I guess) about stuff as their is now and we just did not think about it. I played outside all day, away from the house and didn't return home until the streetlights came on. No cell phone to tell ma where I was and she never grilled me about what I'd been doing. Different world.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I'd like for everyone to get closure & those who are responsible to be put to justice... but I have a feeling this guy is a nutjob/fame whore getting his 15 minutes while stories have been blowing up about Etan recently.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

fgg

Etan Patz's Alleged Murder: 'Something Just Took Over Me'

After the videotape clicks on, the 53-year-old calmly tells investigators how he choked 6-year-old Etan Patz in the basement of a Manhattan convenience store on May 25, 1979. He describes putting the boy, who was still alive, into a plastic bag, then putting the bag inside a box and dumping it nearby.

"I was nervous; my legs were jumping," Pedro Hernandez said. "I wanted to let go, but I just couldn't let go. I felt like something just took over me. I don't know what to say. Something just took over me, and I was just choking him."

The tape was played at a hearing Monday to determine whether or not the confession can be used as evidence at Hernandez's murder trial – not whether the statements are true. It was the first time the public could hear Hernandez, who has pleaded not guilty, talk in his own words about the notorious case that plagued police for decades.

Judge Maxwell Wiley must decide whether Hernandez was properly advised of his rights and is mentally capable of understanding them.

Etan became one of the first missing children to be pictured on a milk carton, and the day he disappeared, May 25, became National Missing Children's Day. His body has never been found.

His parents were in court Monday, the first time they have appeared publicly since Hernandez was arrested two years ago. The father, Stan, watched stoically while the boy's mother, Julie, left before the tape began.

On the video, Hernandez is dressed in a brown jacket, white T-shirt and jeans, and sits at an empty desk save for a can of Pepsi. He talks about his family and his medical history – he is HIV-positive, suffers back problems and is bipolar.

He explains how he killed the child but doesn't remember what the boy was wearing, that Etan had a cap on when he vanished, or that the weather was bad that day. He says he tossed the boy's book bag behind a freezer; no bag was ever found. He doesn't remember the boy saying anything, and nothing in particular caught his attention that made him choose the boy, he says.

"I just approached to him or I asked him, you want a soda? I said come with me," he said. "He didn't say nothing to me. He didn't kick. He wasn't angry. He just kind of stood there, and I just felt bad what I did."

Hernandez's lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, argued his client falsely confessed and lacks the mental ability to understand his rights. He described Hernandez's demeanor on camera as exhausted from hours of questioning; Hernandez had been in custody nearly eight hours when the taping began.

"When those eight hours were finished, he was convinced he had something to do with the disappearance of Etan Patz," Fishbein said.

In 2012, police got a lead that brought them to Hernandez, a high school dropout who had worked at a corner store near where Etan disappeared.

Hernandez, most recently a resident of Maple Shade, New Jersey, also told police that he confessed before: to his ex-wife, to a friend, and in front of about 15 people during a prayer circle at a church group. No one ever went to authorities.

"We were all holding hands and praying," he said of the church meeting. "And everybody was confessing, so I confessed. I told them I killed a child."

The hearing is expected to last several weeks.

Etan Patz's Alleged Murder: 'Something Just Took Over Me' - Crime & Courts, Murder : People.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

He sounds like he's off his rocker. Can't provide any corroborating details and even people in his prayer group thought he was lying.

Yes, I wonder if they have any other evidence against him at all. People falsely confess all the time, for a variety of reasons including mental issues and coercive strategies by police. If this is all they got, it won't fly.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

There is no publicly known evidence linking Hernandez to the crime other than his confession to family/friends and the police.

Nothing else has come out. If there was something real it would be out there by now. I wonder why they would bother to bring a case with only a questionable confession as evidence.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Nothing else has come out. If there was something real it would be out there by now. I wonder why they would bother to bring a case with only a questionable confession as evidence.
    And such a high profile one at that. You'd think they would want this case to be airtight.

I still think it was Jose Antonio Ramos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information