Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree996Likes

Thread: Paris shootings and explosions near Stade de France kill 18

CNBC is reporting 140 dead.

Never heard of that band but the name is terrible.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I know Queens of the Stone Age, but I've never heard of this group. Are we supposed to just accept all of this as the new normal? Who knows what our world will look like each morning when we wake up.
    Fly_On_TheWall likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

A*O

Look, I know it's not PC or whatever but the ISIS organisation is wholly built and operated under the auspices of the Islamic religion, teachings, customs and beliefs. I'm sick of the endless mantra "This has nothing to do with Islam" when it has everything to do with Islam and it's declared intent to overthrow the non-Islamic "west" by violent means if necessary and replace it with an Islamic caliphate. Read the Koran (I have). It's all in there and because Muslims believe it's literally the word of God then whatever it teaches isn't open to interpretation or argument.

One of the difficulties here is that unlike most other world religions, Islam doesn't have a central hierarchy or leader. There isn't a single figure with the authority to decide on theological or social issues or for his/her (as if) followers to turn to for guidance. Local imams/mullahs/ayatollahs control the local mosques or communities but there's no overall leadership. So "rogue" or extremist preachers/recruiters get away with behaviour that might not otherwise be tolerated. It's another reason for the apparent silence from Muslim leaders. There really aren't any.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Despite their band name, Eagles of Death Metal are not a death metal band. Hughes stated that a friend was introducing Josh Homme to the death metal genre. When he played a song by the Polish band Vader and made a claim that the song was within the death metal genre, Homme then referred to Vader as "The Eagles of Death Metal". After hearing this phrase, he wondered what a cross between the Eagles and a death metal band would sound like.[5] In a 2003 interview Homme described the sound of the band as a combination of "bluegrassslide guitar mixed with stripper drum beats and Canned Heat vocals." Hughes is known for his enthusiastic interaction with audiences at live performances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles_of_Death_Metal

sluce and gas_chick like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Does anyone remember if LaFolie lives in Paris? I checked her facebook but location is not listed.

I hope you're well, LaFolie (as well as can be expected) if you are reading this.

It's a horrible and sickening day.
    I live 20 km north of Paris. I was awakened by my Facebook alerts... Thanks for inquiring.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Look, I know it's not PC or whatever but the ISIS organisation is wholly built and operated under the auspices of the Islamic religion, teachings, customs and beliefs. I'm sick of the endless mantra "This has nothing to do with Islam" when it has everything to do with Islam and it's declared intent to overthrow the non-Islamic "west" by violent means if necessary and replace it with an Islamic caliphate. Read the Koran (I have). It's all in there and because Muslims believe it's literally the word of God then whatever it teaches isn't open to interpretation or argument.

One of the difficulties here is that unlike most other world religions, Islam doesn't have a central hierarchy or leader. There isn't a single figure with the authority to decide on theological or social issues or for his/her (as if) followers to turn to for guidance. Local imams/mullahs/ayatollahs control the local mosques or communities but there's no overall leadership. So "rogue" or extremist preachers/recruiters get away with behaviour that might not otherwise be tolerated. It's another reason for the apparent silence from Muslim leaders. There really aren't any.
    I'm not trying to nitpick, because in general I think religion is incredibly stupid, but Christianity doesn't have a top authority either. Yeah, there's the Pope, but the protestants don't answer to him, and it's not the Catholics who tend to be super-extreme-fundies who blow up abortion clinics and won't let stores sell beer on Sunday. (edited to add: I don't mean to be flip with that last remark, but it's a pet peeve of mine as a non-religious person living in the southern USA who has to put up with tiny little infringements on my freedom to not be religious on a daily basis.)
    sluce, twitchy2.0, olivia and 8 others like this.

It may be "radical" Islam but Islam is a factor. Much like the crazy fundies who blow up those clinics or oppress woman or minorities taint "Christianity." i don't hear a defense of Christians when their nutters act out their hate. Christian's all get painted with same fucked up brush. Why? In part because it is politically ok to do so but also because the foundation of that religion is set to breed that kind of ignorance that leads to burnt churches and hung homosexuals. Islam is no different.

All I mean is we can't separate the nuts from their faith. It's all part of the problem.

Personally, as a non religious person, all religion is a problem to me. I've just never seen the upside but I've certainly read about the body count.
    stella blue, A*O, olivia and 9 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

It has nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with fanaticism. If it was all about Islam then every Muslim would support terrorism, which of course they don't. The Christian bible is just as hate-filled as the Koran but the majority of Christians don't live by the rules set down by Leviticus.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Let me ask my European friends, but is Paris an easy target? I say that because I can't see something like this happening in Germany. Mainly because my experience in Germany is that Germans don't fuck around, military/police wise. I could see London get hit before Germany. Is this a correct assessment?

A*O

Yet every single one of these fanatics is a Muslim, radicalised maybe but still a Muslim. You cannot say there's no connection when the cause they are promoting is an Islamic new world order using the guidelines set out in the Koran.

@ Louis - I'm sure it will happen in Germany who opened her doors to a massive influx of Middle Eastern migrants, some refugees, some not, and then realised when it was almost too late that they can't accommodate, employ, educate, give medical facilities, welfare to them all. Sweden faces the same problem and Britain has only been somewhat spared by the lucky geographical accident that it's an island.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

Muslims died today, too, I'm sure in Paris and Americans were also killed in the suicide bomb attacks in Lebanon (43 killed, 200 wounded) 19 mourners at a funeral in Baghdad. Human lives were taken, that's the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Let me ask my European friends, but is Paris an easy target? I say that because I can't see something like this happening in Germany. Mainly because my experience in Germany is that Germans don't fuck around, military/police wise. I could see London get hit before Germany. Is this a correct assessment?
    France is a fucking easy target!!!!

A*O

Ah yes, well then we get into the historical hatred between various Muslim sects like the Sunni and Shia who happily kill each other on ideological grounds. Just like the Christians in Northern Ireland.

People in Europe, and America and Australia too are still incredibly naive and complacent about this threat. It's all warm fuzzy multiculti inclusiveness and kumbaya which leaves them wide open to being murdered by maniacs.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yet every single one of these fanatics is a Muslim, radicalised maybe but still a Muslim. You cannot say there's no connection when the cause they are promoting is an Islamic new world order using the guidelines set out in the Koran.

Right, but there's more to it than that. I do think the fact that there are still governments that actively prohibit women from having equal rights in the name of Islam, for example (Saudi Arabia, I'm looking at you) that still have standing in the world community gives more credence to their cause, but I still don't see any good coming from painting Muslims in general as the enemy.
    sluce and Janus like this.

158 now. They are reporting that there are likely to be more shooters in Paris.

I was frightened by 9/11 but this one actually terrifies me.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information