Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Like Tree996Likes

Thread: Paris shootings and explosions near Stade de France kill 18

I don't get how people would think it was someone else's problem. I live in a city that was already attacked, so I'm pretty aware that it can happen anytime, anywhere.

And is there a country left on earth that hasn't had some form of terror attack? Maybe Iceland, but I'm too lazy to Google...
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^Terrorist volcanoes.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

elves
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

Maybe no Icelandic turrists but those people drink themselves into major psychosis during those endless dark winter days when the sun never rises. SAD to the max.
    BITTER likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Time to put that social contract to work; let the gub'mint handle it while we try to live our lives.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Last night I got so tired of hearing about it, at around 1am I put my classical CDs in my radio and dreamt of Chopin and Grieg. Had to. And I think I'm going to do that again tonight. I cannot sleep unless the radio or TV is on.
    I had to turn the news off too. The strange thing is that I wasn't having bloody, violent nightmares. It was just really aggravating my depression issues.

But the last straw is when I began having a string of surreal dreams about Vladimir Putin. In the last one, I was a camera assistant on the filming of a movie. We all had to wear period clothing, even the crew. Putin was the star. I can't remember the plot but it concerned time travel. He was most charming to everyone, but it was still so unnerving....

Try leaving the TV on a cooking channel, Bitter. My best friend swears by that.
    BITTER likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    elves
    i must be really tired. i read that as Elvis
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    I had to turn the news off too. The strange thing is that I wasn't having bloody, violent nightmares. It was just really aggravating my depression issues.

But the last straw is when I began having a string of surreal dreams about Vladimir Putin. In the last one, I was a camera assistant on the filming of a movie. We all had to wear period clothing, even the crew. Putin was the star. I can't remember the plot but it concerned time travel. He was most charming to everyone, but it was still so unnerving....

Haha. That's weird. I had a dream about Putin the other night. He was trying to kill my mother and me. :/ But yes it's good to switch off from all the bad news sometimes. It gets too much.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Paris attacks: Brussels alert extended over 'imminent threat' - BBC News

Paris attacks: Brussels alert extended over 'imminent threat'

• 49 minutes ago
    • From the section Europe

Image copyright Reuters
    Soldiers from the Belgian army have joined police officers on patrols in Brussels Paris attacks

Brussels will stay on the highest level of terror alert because of the "serious and imminent" threat of Paris-style attacks, Belgium's prime minister says.

Charles Michel added that universities, schools and the metro would stay shut.

Brussels has been on lockdown all weekend, amid a manhunt for suspected Paris attacker Salah Abdeslam.

Meanwhile, the BBC understands that a suicide bomber - pictured in a new French police appeal - arrived in Greece under the name of M al-Mahmod.

The BBC's Ed Thomas has matched the image released by French police with a photo on the arrival papers of a man who reached the Greek island of Leros on 3 October.

Image copyright EPA Image caption
    Police have released an image of one of the attackers, asking for more information about him

The man was with a group of Syrian refugees and with another attacker who was travelling under the name of Ahmad al-Mohammed.

Follow the latest live developments
    Interview transcript: 'My brothers were manipulated, not radicalised'
    Abdeslam: Suspect 'meant to blow himself up'
    Brussels terror threat: 'Everyone is on edge'
    Belgium's jihadist networks

French police have asked for more information about the man, whom they say was the third suicide bomber to strike the Stade de France on 13 November.

Islamic State militants, some of them from Brussels, killed 130 people in Paris on 13 November.

Security forces completed several operations in Brussels on Sunday night, the AFP news agency reports. The police had urged the public not to report its movements on social media.

Earlier on Sunday, the Belgian prime minister told reporters in Brussels that the authorities fear "an attack similar to the one in Paris, with several individuals who could also possibly launch several attacks at the same time in multiple locations".

Earlier, Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon said the danger to Belgium was not tied to Abdeslam alone.

"The threat is broader than the one suspected terrorist," he told Flemish broadcaster VRT.

It was not clear if Mr Jambon was referring to those involved in the Paris attacks, or others who might be planning attacks in Belgium.

Soldiers joined police officers on patrols in Brussels over the weekend. Many public spaces in the usually bustling capital were deserted, as people heeded official warnings to avoid crowds.

The Belgian authorities have so far charged three people with involvement in the Paris attacks, claimed by Islamic State militants.

French media have reported that nine militants carried out the attacks, and seven died on Friday night.

One of the men who drove Salah Abdeslam to Belgium told his lawyer that he was dressed in a "big jacket" and may have had a suicide belt.

The lawyer, Carine Couquelet, told French TV this raised questions, including the possibility that Salah Abdeslam may have been supposed to blow himself up in Paris but had had second thoughts.

AFP/ITV NEWS
    Images have emerged from inside the apartment building in Saint-Denis where Paris attacks ringleader Abdelhamid Abaaoud and associate Hasna Ait Boulahcen died earlier this week

Friends of Abdeslam told ABC News they had spoken to him on Skype and said he was hiding in Brussels and desperately trying to get to Syria.

They said he was caught between European authorities hunting him and IS members who were "watching him" and were unhappy that he had not detonated his suicide belt.

Eagles of Death Metal describe gig horror
    Paris attacks caused archbishop 'doubt'
    Paris attacks: The unanswered questions
    Special report: In-depth coverage of the attacks and their aftermath

Meanwhile on Saturday, members of the US rock band Eagles of Death Metal described the horror of the Bataclan concert hall massacre in their first interview since the attack.

Lead singer Jesse Hughes said a group of fans who hid in the band's dressing room were found by the gunmen and killed except for one who hid under Hughes's leather jacket.

In a clip from the interview with Vice News to be released in full next week, an emotional Hughes said: "A great reason why so many were killed was because so many people wouldn't leave their friends. So many people put themselves in front of people."

Jump media player
    Media player help

Paris attacks: Brussels alert extended over 'imminent threat' - BBC News

While planning my recent vacation, that included Paris, I found this great blog about Paris. It was helpful in planning the trip. Tonight I went back to it wondering how Peter had addressed the terrorist attack and he did not disappoint. IMO he is talented at capturing the images, and telling stories, even in tragedy.

Peter's Paris
    panic likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I love this:

"The mood in Paris now is not vengeful but dignified and defiant. The Parisian way of life...is under attack, and the young are responding with a sort of joyful protest, clinking glasses of wine on terraces and congregating in crowded bars. They know that death makes sense only once we have experienced life, with its happinesses large and faint, its mournings, its incomprehensions and its absurdities. They know fanatics who detonate themselves may not fear death but they will never know what life really is. They know it is life itself terrorism is afraid of."
    -Matt Vella for Time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post

No one should have a dream about Putin. The man is a loose cannon.

And I know just the show...
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I don't get how people would think it was someone else's problem. I live in a city that was already attacked, so I'm pretty aware that it can happen anytime, anywhere.

And is there a country left on earth that hasn't had some form of terror attack? Maybe Iceland, but I'm too lazy to Google...
    I live where there was a ethnic war for many years. Once I escaped a bomb by mere luck (outside my gym) -> a mani pedi saved my life.
    A friend of mine moved because she was too scared. Moved to Paris...
    I hate Belgium right now. They couldn't care less before and now suddenly they have a lockdown? Belgium 0 terrorist 1 as this is exactly what they want.
    Seriously this is NOT how to do it.
    I have no Idea how they should do it but they should have started MANY years ago.
    1987 Molenbeek and Schaerbeek was already in the news and the government did nothing about it. Then the people already complained there was no surveillance from the police, instead police was corrupt. in 77 he government had removed part Molenbeek (destroyed all the houses) for a metro line. All people had to move and became a zone of poverty. The Migrants took over (this was the only zone they could afford) the first generation tried to fit in but some of the young started trouble. For the government these people didn't matter (Migrants and locals equal because they were both poor) Education was a problem and also these young immigrants could't find jobs. It was the recipe for the disaster it is today.
    For anyone who speaks Dutch http://deredactie.be/permalink/1.2498081 The woman at the end of the video says. this is a ticking time bomb and I do not want to think of the future, because this is going to end real bad.
    This third generation migrants are still seen as migrants in Belgium and they are not part of the country their parents came from anymore. Rootless.
    Last edited by kasippu; November 25th, 2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: had to add, i might be too opinionated
    Belt Up, panic and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Two great articles on the Cracked.com web site. They are both very easy to read.

First, is a writer who read every issue of the ISIS magazine Dabiq, and what the main thing you get from it:
    7 Things I Learned Reading Every Issue Of ISIS's Magazine | Cracked.com

Second, they interviewed Syrian refugees, and help personalize for you what it's like to be one of them.
    We Met Syria's War Refugees: 7 Awful Things They Told Us | Cracked.com

Dramatic moment world's most wanted terrorist dragged away: ISIS fugitive behind Paris massacre is caught trying to flee his Brussels hideout run past armed police

• Salah Abdeslam shot in the leg and captured alive by police commandos
    • He and four other suspects were arrested in siege, prosecutor confirmed
    • French President said terrorist will be extradited to France for punishment
    • Abdeslam believed to have played a key role in November's Paris attacks
    • See more news on the Paris attacks at www.dailymail.co.uk/ParisAttacks

Incredible images show one of the prime suspects behind the Paris terror attacks being wrestled to the ground by armed police following a raid on his Belgian hideout.
    Salah Abdeslam, 26, was among the ISIS terror cell that massacred 130 at a rock concert, a football stadium and several cafes in November.
    After evading French and Belgian authorities for four months, he was today arrested during a siege on his bolthole in the run down Molenbeek district of Brussels.

Footage showed Abdeslam, dressed in a white hooded sweatshirt, trying to run past dozens of police officers before he was shot in the leg.
    He was one of five suspects, including three that helped hide him from the police, to be arrested today, a French prosecutor has confirmed. He said numerous weapons and ammunition were discovered inside the besieged building.
    Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel hailed the arrests as a 'success in the fight against terrorism' but serious questions will be asked as to how Abdeslam evaded the authorities for so long.
    He managed to evade capture for 126 days due to a series of blunders by the police, who have repeatedly raided the Brussels suburbs where he grew up.
    Officers pulled him over on the night of the attacks on November 13, but released him because he was yet to be identified as a suspect.
    Just 48 hours later, Belgian police failed to raid a house he was thought to be hiding because of a law prohibiting night time searches.
    And on Tuesday, he escaped through a skylight as police stormed a flat in the Forest neighbourhood in Brussels where his fingerprints were later discovered.

French President Francois Hollande (right, with Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel) confirmed that Abdeslam and two other suspects, described as his accomplices, were arrested today

Michel held a joint press conference with French President Francois Hollande who stressed the battle against extremism in western Europe is far from over.
    We have to go on with our efforts because we are aware there are still connections that lead us to Syria, where the Daesh [ISIS] group wanted these attacks [in Paris] to be organised
    French President Francois Hollande

He said: 'It is not the final conclusion of this story because there have been arrests already and there will have to be more.
    'We know the terrorists' network was widespread in Belgium, France, and other countries in Europe, too.
    'Until we have arrested all of those who took part, organised and financed the network that carried out the abominable attacks in Paris, our fight will not be over.
    'We have to go on with our efforts because we are aware there are still connections that lead us to Syria, where the Daesh [ISIS] group wanted these attacks to be organised.
    'It is from Syria that a number of these actors of this atrocity [Paris attacks] started.'
    Hollande confirmed he has asked for Belgium to extradite Abdeslam to his country, adding: I'm certain of the extradition procedures and I believe he [Abdeslam] should be interrogated and punished in France.'
    'We got him,' France's minister for asylum and migration Theo Francken triumphantly announced as a video of Abdeslam being dragged away by police emerged.
    Police with riot shields cordoned off the area where Abdeslam was arrested and began evacuating locals earlier tonight. They are thought to have continued their operation following his capture.
    TV cameras filmed a series of explosions and the sound of fresh gunfire in the area at around 6.20pm, more than two hours after the arrest, as police continued to search for suspects after Abdeslam war arrested.
    After escaping another besieged flat on Tuesday, he was tracked to a home in Molenbeek this afternoon. Special forces are understood to have been monitoring the house for at least 48 hours.
    It is understood grenades were used in the operation, which unfolded at about 4.30pm.
    Gun shots and explosions were heard while white smoke was seen in the area as police moved in on Abdeslam, who had been on the run for 126 days.
    Emergency services were quick to arrive at the scene which was shut down by officers wearing heavy riot gear.

Abdeslam was wounded, and then retreated into a house in Molenbeek with two men. At least one of the other men is wounded, and one may be dead, said the source.
    He and another wounded suspect were taken to the city’s Saint Pierre Hospital which was last night sealed off behind a security perimeter.
    A lawyer for the families of those who lost their lives in the Paris massacre have demanded that he is extradited to France immediately.
    Mr Michel was seen rushing out of a European Council summit in Brussels as news of the raid broke.
    EU leaders are meeting in the Belgian capital, just five miles from where the anti-terror operation was taking place in Molenbeek.
    Francois Hollande, who is in Brussels for the EU summit, confirmed that today's police operation was linked to last November's attacks on Paris.
    Despite Abdeslam's arrest, the police operation was continuing this evening and the army is on the scene, which is near two schools.

Explosions shake neighbourhood where battle continues in Brussels

Loaded: 0%
    Progress: 0%
    00:00

Play

Mute

Current Time0:00

/

Duration Time0:21

Fullscreen

Need Text

Two men are still believed to be holed up in a building in the area and drones are being used as part of the police operation.
    Fire engines and ambulances were seen driving into the gated complex, which remains under armed police guard, and a helicopter hovered overhead.
    In addition to Abdeslam, the whereabouts of two Paris attack suspects remains unknown, including fellow Molenbeek resident Mohamed Abrini and a man known under the alias of Soufiane Kayal.
    The building is owned by the local municipality. The flat where he was arrested is believed to have been rented by the same person since 2009, according to RTBF.
    Criminal lawyer Sven Mary is said to have accepted the role of defending Abdeslam.
    He was contacted on Abdeslam's behalf as early as January this year, asking whether he would be willing to defend the terror suspect, it has been reported.
    It came after the Belgian lawyer told daily newspaper Le Soir in late December: 'If Salah Abdeslam begged me tomorrow, I would accept the role of being his lawyer.'

But the lawyer denied claims that he has already discussed the possibility with Abdeslam himself.
    'I have been in contact with someone from his immediate surroundings,' the lawyer said, reported Belgian news site Standaard.
    'I want to speak directly with Abdeslam. You must have some sort of contact with the ones you defend, there should be a mutual trust.'
    This afternoon, the White House revealed that the US had been helping French and Belgian authorities to boost security since November's Paris attacks, and that this would continue.
    White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the White House used its 'significant resources and significant capabilities' to assist the French and the Belgians.
    He added: 'They have taken steps to try to safeguard their country. We're going to continue to stay in close touch with them on this.'
    Salah's brother Brahim, who blew himself p in the November Paris attacks, was buried on Thursday in a Brussels cemetery.

Read more: Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam caught as video shows ISIS fugitive fleeing | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    effie2 and CornFlakegrl like this.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread Information