Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Oscar Pistorius "Trial Of The Century" Starts Today

Bronze Member

From the same author:

In March 2014, Oscar Pistorius went on trial in a South African courtroom for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. Pistorius took the stand on April 7 and testified in his own defense. I have not been able to find a complete transcript of his testimony. Here are some excerpts of Pistorius describing what happened the night he shot Reeva Steenkamp.

Pistorius testified that in the middle of the night he heard his bathroom window sliding open. He got his 9mm from underneath his bed and moved towards the bathroom.

"I got to the entrance of the bathroom, at the end of the passage, where I stopped screaming. At this point, I was certain that an intruder or intruders were there in my bathroom.

A more natural way to say this would be, "At this point I believed that an intruder..." If he used the word "believed," Pistorius would be saying that based on the evidence before him he concluded that someone was in the bathroom. By using the word "certain," it means he thought about other possibilities. After considering the possibilities, he then came to the conclusion that an intruder was in his bathroom. We would want to know what other things he was considering. As it turned out there was no intruder.

"I had my pistol in my right hand and I peered in."

Pistorius called his 9mm a "pistol." We will see if his language remains consistent.

"There was no light in the bathroom. As I slowly peered into the bathroom, I could see that the window was open indeed."

The shortest sentence is the best sentence. The word "indeed" is not needed. He may have added this word to bolster his claim that minutes earlier he heard the bathroom window sliding open.

"At this point I started screaming again for Reeva to phone the police...wasn't sure where to point my firearm. I had it pointed at the toilet but my eyes were going between the window and the toilet."

At this point, SteenKamp is in the toilet behind a locked door. If she was using the bathroom or even hiding from an intruder, why did she not respond to Pistorius's scream to call the police? There is a chance she wanted to keep quiet and hide from the intruder.

When the word "phone" appears in a statement it often ties the person to the crime scene. If you witnessed a crime, you may state in your police interview that you called 911 on your "cell phone." The problem is the use of the word "phone" sometimes ties a person to the crime scene in a not so innocent way.

Earlier Pistorius called his 9mm a "pistol." Now he refers to it as a "firearm." There are no synonyms in Statement Analysis. Every word means something different. Truthful people usually use the same language. If they view a 9mm as being a "pistol," they will always call it a "pistol." They will not call it a "firearm" because to them it is a "pistol." A change in language means a change in reality. Something has happened which caused the person to change their language. For example, when a person pulls the trigger he may call it a "weapon." This change is justifiable because the word "weapon" to this person probably means he is discharging the firearm. The word "pistol" may mean he is not shooting the firearm. As I read Pistorius's statement I do not see a justifiable reason for changing the language from "pistol" to "firearm." Therefore, it indicates he is being deceptive.

"I just stayed where I was and I kept on screaming."

The word "just" is often used to minimize things. When people use the word "just" to minimize their actions, it is an indication they did more than they are telling us. Saying, "I stayed where I was" is a better statement.

"Then I heard a noise from inside the toilet, what I perceived to be somebody coming out of the toilet. Before I knew it, I fired four shots at the door."

The word "then" can mean "immediately" which is how people usually want to use it. This word can also mean "soon thereafter" which is how people usually use it. Using the latter definition means the person has withheld some information. We see something similar with the phrase "before I knew it." We do not know how much time has passed by before Pistorius fired four shots.

"My ears were ringing; I couldn't hear anything, so I kept on shouting for Reeva to phone the police. I was so scared to retreat because I wasn't sure if there was somebody on the ladder. I wasn't sure there was somebody in the toilet.

The word "so" is not needed. The use of this word indicates Pistorius is explaining his actions rather than simply telling us what he did. It shows this part of his statement is sensitive to him.

There are two types of emotions: short-term and long-term. Short-term emotions occur at the peak of the incident and are brief. Being surprised is a short-term emotion. Long-term emotions occur after the incident is over and have a longer effect. Being in shock is a long-term emotion. Pistorius said he was "so scared." Being scared could be a brief emotion but being "so scared" appears to be more of a long-term emotion. Therefore, his emotion of being "so scared" appears to be out-of-place. Pistorius has placed them at the peak of the incident where he thinks they should be. The reality is incidents such as this one are usually so overwhelming the long-term emotions are usually suppressed. Once the incident is over they begin to surface.

After firing four shots through the toilet door, Pistorius said he returned to his bed looking for Steenkamp but she was not there.

"At that point the first thing I thought was maybe she got down onto the floor like I told her to, maybe she was just scared...I can't remember what I said but I was trying to talk out to her."

In an open statement such as this, a person should only be telling us what happened. He should not be telling us what he does not remember. When the phrase, "I don't remember" appears in an open statement, it is an indication of deception. Essentially, the person is telling us he remembers that he does not remember! Also, saying "I don't remember" is better than saying, "I can't remember."

The word "trying" means he attempted but failed. Was he not able to call out to her because she was not on the floor or because he did not call out to her?

"It was upon that time, my Lady, that it first dawned upon me that it could be Reeva that was in the bathroom or in the toilet."

Saying that it "dawned" upon him that he may have shot his girlfriend is soft tone language. We would expect a person to have a more dreadful feeling when they realized they may have shot someone they loved.

"I run straight back to the bathroom door, I must have placed my firearm on the carpet in the bathroom. The light was on at that stage, I don't remember switching it on but it was on when I kicked the door. I run straight up to the door and I started hitting it hard. I think I hit it three times. "

Twice he used the word "run" which is in the present tense. When a person is recalling a story from memory it will be very easy for him to use past tense language. The use of present tense language is an indication he may be making up that portion of his statement.

The phrase "I must have" means he is not certain what he did with the firearm.

Again, we have Pistorius using the phrase "I don't remember" which indicates he may be withholding information.

The word "think" means he is not certain how many times he hit the door. We see further evidence of this with his use of the number "three." When people are uncertain of a number they will often use the number "three." It should also be noted that when deceptive people make up a number they will frequently use the number "three."

Conclusion

We must remember that this is not a complete transcript of Pistorius's testimony. We also do not know what specific questions he was asked. There is always a chance Pistorius adopted some of the prosecutor's language. However, there are numerous signs that Pistorius's entire statement is not coming from memory. Therefore, we have to question if he is telling the truth about what happened the night Reeva Steenkamp died.

Oscar Pistorius Testifies - Statement Analysis

Elite Member

This article is written and formatted a little confusingly (at least to me). And I'm not a linguist, nor am I familiar with differences in spoken English between South African and the U.S.

With that said, another thing that struck me when reading this statement is Pistorius' use of the word "screaming" to describe his own speech. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but the way he just describes himself as "screaming" at a couple of points, rather than "yelling at Reeva to call the police" or whatever seems to me designed to explain away witnesses who said they heard screaming (ie, that he was screaming and not Reeva). To me there is a distinct difference between screaming in distress and yelling instructions at someone. I'm probably overly parsing this out, but that occurred to me when I read it.

Poor Reeva. Imagine how terrified she must have been.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

I still don't think she was too terrified to scream and shout. In all of his testimony, it only apparently makes sense (to him) if she is mute throughout.

A*O

I would also take into account that English vernacular in South Africa may well be different to elsewhere, especially when it's a second language for many people. The word "scream" instead of "yell" may be perfectly normal usage. This analysis is interesting but I think the writer is drawing a long bow on a few very small points of linguistics.

To me, the only reason Reeva would keep quiet while he ranted and raved just outside the locked door was because she was already terrified after they had a big fight and she knew he was capable of losing control and doing something really violent.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

This guy...

He got out of bed but didn't notice Reeva wasn't in the bed or the room.

He went out on to the balcony and brought the fan back into the bedroom but didn't notice Reeva wasn't in the bed or the room.

He closed the balcony doors and locked them and then closed the blinds and curtains but didn't once notice that Reeva wasn't in the bed or the room.

It was apparently too dark for him to see that Reeva wasn't in the bed or the room but he could see the bathroom window was open.

And so on and so on. They must have very selective moonlight in SA that only highlights inanimate objects and not people.

As for having her phone with her in the bathroom, yeah, maybe she was planning on playing a game while taking care of things (I'm a sneaky QuadraPop player) but at the same time she may well have had it with her because he was losing the plot and she was scared. As for why she didn't actually place the call, unless you've been in Reeva's situation it can be hard to understand. The phone is almost like a security blanket and you tell yourself that you'll use it to call for help if you have to, but at the same time the conditioning you have undergone within the relationship holds you back. Maybe he'll run out of steam and stop being mad at you soon and you'll be safe and you can make it up to him for whatever you did wrong, but if you phone for the police or friends to come and get you then he's just going to be even more pissed than before and he'll make sure he pays you back for showing him up in front of everyone by being a hysterical crazy bitch who has to blow a simple argument out of all proportion. And that's without even going into the shame you carry with you for being in that situation in the first place and not wanting anyone to know what life is really like behind the perfect facade you present to everyone...
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I agree but the point is whether he knew she was in there or not and he absolutely did and she absolutely screamed when he blew her arm off before he shot her in the head.

ETA: To clarify, the first shot was to the hip when she undoubtedly screamed. As she fell to the floor, the second was to the arm - a defence wound as the arm was protecting her head. In order to hit her accurately through the door, he knew (by sound) where she had fallen.
    Last edited by rollo; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:32 AM.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I still don't think she was too terrified to scream and shout. In all of his testimony, it only apparently makes sense (to him) if she is mute throughout.
    Yep. His whole story relies on him not seeing that she wasn't in the bed as well as not hearing her and not noticing that she is not responding to his "screams", and then not stopping to wonder why he doesn't see her or her before he shoots through that bathroom door. It's just such patent bullshit. And it enrages me that he thinks he can get away with this.
    snoopqueen likes this.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

She had to be screaming. This guy is just a cold blooded killer who made up an idiotic story and he's sticking to it. Hope he gets life. In FL, he'd be acquitted.
    snoopqueen likes this.

Acquitted, free to crawl the sidewalks masturbating, eating people's faces and shooting at poor, defenceless women through toilet doors
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Oscar Pistorius and the 'Screams Like A Woman' Defense - ABC News

Oscar Pistorius and the 'Screams Like A Woman' Defense

March 7, 2014
    By ALYSSA NEWCOMBALYSSA NEWCOMBMore From Alyssa
    Digital Reporter

ALYSSA NEWCOMBMore From Alyssa

Digital Reporter

via GOOD MORNING AMERICA

When it comes to memorable defenses, "Oscar Pistorius screams like a woman," may be right up there with the infamous "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit" from the O.J. Simpson trial.

In the first week of Pistorius' premeditated murder trial in Pretoria, South Africa, his attorney Barry Roux has repeatedly insisted that the Blade Runner screams like a woman and that he's conducted decibel tests to prove it.
    Read More: Oscar Pistorius Reacts to Testimony About Night Reeva Steenkamp Was Killed
    The unusual defense -- which has triggered laughter in the courtroom, counters the testimony of neighbors who said they heard the screams of a woman who sounded like she feared for her life the night Reeva Steenkamp was killed.
    Asked whether Pistorius screams like a woman, his ex-girlfriend, Samantha Taylor, testified today that she had heard him scream plenty of times -- and that he sounds very much like a man.

The defense has begged the question on social media: Will Pistorius be asked to scream in court?
    The bloody black glove, a key piece of evidence in the Simpson murder trial, was brought into court for the ex-NFL star to try on in front of jurors.
    After Simpson tried to squeeze his hand into the glove to prove it wasn't his, defense attorney Johnnie Cochran uttered the now-infamous line: "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."
    It seems unlikely, though, that the court and viewers of that trial, which is being televised and streamed online, will hear the Blade Runner wail.
    Roux said in court he will likely call an expert witness at some point during the trial who can testify that Pistorius screams like a woman when he is anxious.
    Pistorius, 27, is charged with premeditated murder charge and several weapons counts. The Olympian said he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder and shot her through a bathroom door.
    If convicted of premeditated murder, Pistorius could face at least 25 years in prison before he is eligible for parole.

The defense has begged the question on social media: Will Pistorius be asked to scream in court?

Oh please, please, please...let this happen!

Defense Attorney: "Mr. Pistorius please scream for the court".
    OP: "Aaaahh, aaaah! My lady"

WTF?
    My SO who is a Lawyer had a pretty good laugh/cry about this "defense".

That analysis seems to be on par with reading tea leaves or chicken entrails.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Judge orders Oscar Pistorius to undergo psychiatric tests

Trial delayed as judge agrees to prosecution's request after defence witness's testimony about defendant's anxiety

Oscar Pistorius trial: live coverage

The trial of Oscar Pistorius for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp suffered another delay on Wednesday, as the judge ruled that the athlete must undergo mental health tests in a psychiatric hospital to determine whether he was criminally responsible for the shooting.

Judge Thokozile Masipa said on Wednesday that the court was ill-equipped to decide whether the diagnosis of generalised anxiety disorder raised by a defence witness on Monday affected Pistorius's actions on the night he shot his girlfriend in the bathroom of his home in Pretoria. She said further psychiatric tests were necessary to ensure a fair trial.

Pistorius denies murder and says he fired in fear of his life, after hearing what he thought was an intruder.
    The court will reconvene on Tuesday to hear the terms of the mental health evaluation, including whether the state and judge will agree to the defence's request that Pistorius be treated as an outpatient. Masipa indicated she would not oppose this, saying she did not intend for Pistorius to be punished twice. The athlete is currently on bail.

The defence had opposed the application by the state, pointing out that neither side was arguing that Pistorius was mentally ill when he shot Steenkamp. But its argument was undermined by evidence given by one of its own witnesses, forensic psychiatrist Dr Merryll Vorster, who told the court that Pistorius's generalised anxiety disorder, combined with his physical vulnerability he had both lower legs amputated as a baby could have affected his actions.

Delivering her ruling, Masipa said: "The accused may not have raised the issue that he was not criminally responsible at the time of the incident in so many words, but evidence led on his behalf clearly raised the issue and cannot be ignored.

"A referral inevitably means more delays in finalising this matter but this is not about anyone's convenience, but rather about whether justice has been served."

Typically, a referral of this kind would involve 30 days of observation, followed by a similar period for reports to be compiled. The waiting time for an inpatient place at specialist psychiatric institutions in South Africa is reported to be several months long, but treatment as an outpatient could see Pistorius's evaluation begin much sooner. The trial, which began on 3 March, was originally timetabled to run for three weeks, but this decision means it will now span several months.
    The judge's decision to allow the referral surprised the defence Pistorius had told reporters in court on Monday, after the state prosecutor, Gerrie Nel, made the application, that the move was "a joke".

But speaking outside court on Wednesday, Arnold Pistorius, uncle of the Paralympian, said the family was satisfied with the decision: "As a family, we are comforted by the thoroughness and detail of this judgment and Judge Masipa's commitment, using every avenue, to ensure a fair trial."
    Pistorius could be acquitted if the evaluation concludes that he was not criminally responsible for the shooting because of a mental illness. Any psychiatric disorder could also be used in mitigation during sentencing if he is convicted of killing Steenkamp.

Nel has said that the state does not believe Pistorius has a mental illness, but told the judge the court must make the referral to avoid the possibility of the defence raising it in any future appeal.

Judge orders Oscar Pistorius to undergo psychiatric tests | World news | theguardian.com
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

well, shall we start taking bets? i'm thinking he's gonna walk (HA!) away...
    gas_chick and arie_skop like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

He's going daaaaaaahnnnnn
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information