Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Oscar Pistorius "Trial Of The Century" Starts Today

A*O

As I type: Not guilty of murder, guilty of culpable homicide + various firearms offences. Not sure when sentencing will happen. Place your bets....
    Brookie likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Facebook friend has just been posting updates from live footage. Culpable Homicide and one gun charge for firing in the restaurant. FUCKING YES!

I would rather have that than a full murder conviction that could be overturned on appeal and leave a secondary charge conviction out of the question. At least he'll hopefully get enough time to halt his career and lucrative sponsorship deals for good.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

A*O

The way this is playing out I won't be at all surprised if he avoids jail and but gets some kind of suspended sentence. But he's tainted goods now so good luck with your sponsorships Oscar. I read he's sold all his properties and assets to pay his lawyers. Good.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The way this is playing out I won't be at all surprised if he avoids jail and but gets some kind of suspended sentence. But he's tainted goods now so good luck with your sponsorships Oscar. I read he's sold all his properties and assets to pay his lawyers. Good.
    I'd like to think that would be the case if he avoids jail time but while I think big names would avoid him some of the smaller, South African ones might still be willing to put their name alongside his. And if he could go on to compete and win again I wouldn't be surprised if a few more did the same.

One of his ex-girlfriends has given an interview detailing the abuse she claims to have suffered at his hands. Rich or poor, he's going to hurt someone again. It's who he is.

'I feared he'd kill me... I hid his gun': Pistorius's ex-girlfriend reveals how he made her 'sit on naughty step and drove at 200mph to punish her'

• Samantha Taylor dated paralympian for 18-months, before Reeva Steenkamp
    • She said she feared he would kill her and even once hid his gun
    • Claims she was left with bruises and scars after 'he bit and pinched her'
    • Taylor said the track star would 'lock her in his house and leave her there'
    • Pistorius, 27, was yesterday cleared of the murder of his Miss Steenkamp
    • He faces jail for shooting the model, 30, dead on Valentine's Day, 2013

Oscar Pistorius’s former girlfriend has revealed her fears that he would kill her, and spoken of his 'angry and possessive rages'.

Samantha Taylor, who dated the paralympian for 18-months, claims he made her sit on a naughty step as he shouted at her, and once drove his Porsche at 200mph as a 'punishment' for an argument.

The 20-year-old student said she was once so scared that he would shoot her, she hid his gun. It was to be the same weapon he later used in the fatal shooting of his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Pistorius, 27, was cleared of the murder of Miss Steenkamp yesterday, but today faces jail for shooting her dead.

Before he got together with Miss Steenkamp, Pistorius had spent a year-and-a-half dating Cape Town marketing student Miss Taylor.
    She told the Mirror she feared he would kill her and even once hid his gun. She said she was also left with bruises and scars after she alleges he bit and pinched her.

But Miss Taylor said it was not only physical violence that she suffered at the Blade Runner's hands - she claimed she was also tortured mentally by him.
    She said: 'Oscar used to lock me in his house and then go out. I had no food, I couldn’t get out. It was dangerous.' She alleges that he would often stay out all night after locking her in.

She said he left her terrified after he drove his Porsche at up to 200mph to 'punish' her.
    One night, she claims, the athlete became so drunk that he set his floor on fire and danced around it. After slipping, she said he cut his lip and chipped his tooth - later convincing himself that she had hit him.

It was then, she said, she became convinced he would shoot her.

She told the paper: 'I had to hide his gun, I was so scared of him.
    'But because he was so drunk he thought I’d beaten him up. He started screaming at me.'

While he was with Miss Taylor, Pistorius was linked with numerous other women, including Russian model Anastassia Khozissova.
    When it became clear that Pistorius and Steenkamp were dating, Miss Taylor earlier said: 'Oscar has such a way with women. She’s probably not the only one he’s got.'
    Miss Taylor went on to tell South Africa's City Press newspaper that 'Oscar is certainly not what people think he is.'
    Pistorius will find out today if he is guilty of the manslaughter of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp during a Valentine's Day shooting at his home in Pretoria.

The double-amputee broke down in court yesterday as he was cleared of two murder charges, but judge Thokozile Masipa hinted the 27-year-old may be convicted of a lesser charge of culpable homicide after describing his actions as 'negligent' on the night she died.
    The 27-year-old athlete broke down as judge Masipa said there was not enough evidence to support prosecution claims Pistorius intended to kill the law graduate-turned-model last year.
    But the judge appeared to indicate he will be convicted of culpable homicide - the South African equivalent of the UK's manslaughter charge - when he returns to court today, describing Pistorius as being "negligent" in killing 29-year-old Ms Steenkamp.
    She told the court in Pretoria, which included members of both the defendant's and the victim's families, that Pistorius acted 'hastily' with 'too much force' when he fired four bullets through his toilet door in the early hours of February 14 2013. Pistorius was also described by the judge as a 'very poor witness', who 'lost his composure' during cross-examination.

The athlete, dubbed Blade Runner due to his prosthetic limbs, has always admitted he shot Ms Steenkamp, though he told police he simply mistook his girlfriend for intruders.
    Delivering her verdict yesterday, judge Masipa criticised Pistorius' decision to reach for his 9mm pistol and fire it through the toilet cubicle in his home rather than raise the alarm or fire a warning shot.
    She said: 'If the accused, for example, had awoken in the middle of the night and in darkness seen a silhouette by his bed and in a panic shot at that figure, only to find it was the deceased, his conduct would have been understandable and perhaps excusable.'
    She added: 'The accused had reasonable time to think, reflect and conduct himself.
    'I'm not persuaded that a reasonable person with the same disability would have fired the four shots.
    'The accused knew there was a person behind the toilet door, he chose to use a firearm.
    'I am of the view the accused acted too hastily and used too much force. It is clear his conduct is negligent.'

Read more: Oscar Pistorius's ex-girlfriend Samantha Taylor 'feared he'd kill her' | Mail Online

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

These women see the behavior, they're scared shitless - and they stay. Maybe what's needed is worldwide education on asshole recognition, and how to value your own life more than you value whatever little thrills you get from being with these men.
    BITTER, arie_skop, dowcat and 1 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    These women see the behavior, they're scared shitless - and they stay. Maybe what's needed is worldwide education on asshole recognition, and how to value your own life more than you value whatever little thrills you get from being with these men.
    I don't get it. My dad's youngest sister married an illiterate, boozing, pugnacious wife-beating asshat. He beat her once too often, and my dad drove out to their house in NJ and when my uncle opened the door, my dad sucker punched him - only to be accosted by my auntie - "Don't fuck with my husband!!! Don't you HURT him!!". She jumped on my dad's back and started hitting HIM!!

My father turned around and came back home - and cried for two days, according to my mother. She had begged him not to go and get involved - begged him, but he felt he HAD to get involved. He was crushed.

Eventually my aunt left this man, but not before she had two kids for him, and he had several out of wedlock and had beaten her some more. By then my dad had learned his lesson. She begged him for a place to stay, and he told her no. She ended up moving in with various people. She never really did get it together.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Because the abuse starts waaay before you meet the abuser, frequently in childhood you are abused/made to feel worthless/etc. you don't recognise this patten of behaviour as "bad" or abusive because it's the norm for you.
    Re: protecting the abuser - you are made to believe that no one else wil have you, you cannot survive on your own, you will be made to pay when you are alone with him etc etc etc.

back this this arsehole judge said that the prosectution failed to prove that he intended to kill the gf, hence no murder.

eta police have released photos of the crime scene... Inc him. Not for the squeamish.
    Kittylady, twitchy2.0 and Icepik like this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Because the abuse starts waaay before you meet the abuser, frequently in childhood you are abused/made to feel worthless/etc. you don't recognise this patten of behaviour as "bad" or abusive because it's the norm for you.
    Re: protecting the abuser - you are made to believe that no one else wil have you, you cannot survive on your own, you will be made to pay when you are alone with him etc etc etc.
    This. They have you so tied up in knots mentally and emotionally that you can't tell up from down or left from right. They tell you that it's your own fault for winding them up in one breath and then claim they need you to help them to be a better person in the next. They can look you in the eye and swear that they love you more than anyone else ever will all while they are raping you. The second by second mood swings and mixed messages you are constantly having to negotiate are a deliberate tactic to keep you off balance and agitated so you CAN'T stop and think. You also know that if someone else tries to defend you it will get so, so much worse for you and that terror is mentally and almost physically paralysing.

Bitter your aunt wasn't so much trying to protect your uncle as she was trying to protect herself. That was her survival instincts and his conditioning kicking in an competing with each other and the sad part is that she probably still took a hiding for what happened but was grateful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I was lucky. I had someone who stuck by me no matter how many times I was too scared to take the help they offered and that probably saved my life in the end. It was one person showing me that I wasn't worthless or unlovable or damaged goods that nobody would ever want to know or any of the other insidious lies that had been beaten in to me, and that gave me the sanctuary to start rebuilding my strength and eventually understand that I WAS worth more than being someone's whipped scapegoat.
    Novice, twitchy2.0 and Nevan like this.

I know $$$$ talks and all, but how on Earth was he not found guilty of common law murder? He essentially admitted to it, FFS.

Evidence.

and the fact that the prosecution didn't manage to prove intent.
    Free Charmed.

A*O

On the face of it the prosecution's case looked pretty damning and proven, but the judge found too many inconsistencies and contradictions in the evidence to convict him beyond reasonable doubt. From a strictly legal point of view (which is what a trial should be) she didn't really have much choice but to go for the lesser crime of culpable homicide (manslaughter).

Despite his conviction he's been released on bail so it's unlikely he will do any jail time. The pundits say big fine and possibly a suspended sentence. Doesn't seem like much justice for Reeva does it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Culpable homicide carries a maximum sentence of 15 years but there's no minimum so he very well could end up with a suspended sentence, which would be total bullshit. The average sentence in SA for culpable homicide is 7 years, I hope eh gets at least that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

If Reeva had been mistakenly shot through a locked door by a black perp the verdict would have been very different. This is still South Africa.
    Dame Edna Everage

It could just as easily have happened in many places in the US ... I'm looking at you, George Zimmerman. He was just in the news again for some road rage incident with another motorist. The victim said that Zimmerman yelled at him, "Don't you know who I am?? I'll kill you!!!" I'm convinced Zimmerman will kill again. He was found innocent and now thinks he's invincible. And that's exactly what's going to happen to Pistorius too.
    Kittylady likes this.

arie_skop likes this.

Thread Information