Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Oscar Pistorius "Trial Of The Century" Starts Today

Mortimer said the Olympian poked him in the chest. When Pistorius got too close, Mortimer pushed him back, but Pistorius stumbled on a chair and fell to the ground, he said.

sorry. inappropriate.
    rockchick likes this.

fgg

Oscar Pistorius Verdict Due Thursday: The Countdown Begins

The judge in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial remained silent through months of court proceedings that caught the attention of the world.

On Thursday, however, she'll deliver a judgment that brings her to the forefront.

Judge Thokozile Masipa, 66, has sat on a dais in red robes throughout the televised trial, rarely interrupting the drama unfolding below as the prosecutor sought to prove that the Olympic athlete murdered girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and defense lawyers argued that the shooting was a terrible mistake.

Pistorius could face 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. He could also be convicted of a lesser murder charge or negligent killing, both of which call for years in jail. The judge could acquit him if she believes the 27-year-old made a tragic error.

Who Is Judge Thokozile Masipa?
    Judge Thokozile Masipa's cryptic demeanor, likely meant to project neutrality during contentious proceedings, masks the rich personal story of a former social worker and journalist who became one of the first black female judges in a country that jettisoned white rule in 1994.

Some experts have pointed to Masipa's record of tough action against criminals who victimized women as indicators that she would not be easily swayed by Pistorius's assertion that he shot Steenkamp through a closed toilet door on Feb. 14, 2013, by mistake, thinking there was an intruder in his house. Yet they also describe her as a good listener and a dispassionate analyst of facts.

For some South Africans, Masipa is a symbol of accomplishment in a country where poverty and unemployment block progress even though all-race politics replaced white minority rule in a euphoric but troubled transition.

"From our historical background in this country, it is very important that young black people see role models that are positive," said Kabelo Seabi, a Pretoria lawyer who teaches criminal law. "I'm sure that a young female person that's sitting anywhere in South Africa... would be looking up to her and would wish that, if they were to study law, that they would be able to reach that benchmark that she has set."

Sat in Stern Judgment
    In the rare instances in the Pistorius trial when her personality has shone through, Masipa has been stern, chiding the prosecutor for harshly questioning the double-amputee runner when he testified in April. And she lightened the mood in the wood-lined courtroom when she joked about making lawyers work "after church" on a Sunday.

Seabi described her as a competent judge who gave "latitude" to defense and prosecution arguments. Masipa will not "decide the matter on her own" because she has two legal assistants, Seabi noted.

"There is a remote possibility of the judge going one way and the assessors going another, and the decision by the majority is the one that will stand, on the facts," Seabi said. But, he said, only the judge decides on questions of legal principle.

Masipa studied social work and later worked as a reporter for The World, The Sowetan and other South African publications, covering township life at a politically tumultuous time. Under apartheid, she was arrested during a protest against the detention of media colleagues, according to South African reports.

Sekola Sello, who worked with Masipa in the media, said he has closely followed the Pistorius trial and that the judge was exhibiting the same "level-headedness" that he remembered in her character decades ago.

In 1998, Masipa became a provincial judge on a bench that was still heavily populated by white males. Last year, she sentenced a serial rapist to 250 years in prison. In 2009, she sentenced a former police officer to life in prison for fatally shooting his wife after a dispute over separation terms.

She has ruled in favor of squatters who resisted attempts to evict them from a Johannesburg building and said authorities should help them find alternative lodging; and ruled against a former head of Eskom, the national electricity company, who alleged he was illegally dismissed.

South Africa does not have a jury system, so Masipa will read her verdict Thursday in a lengthy process, filled with summaries of testimony and legal references, that some analysts say might require more court time on Friday.

Clues about the looming verdict could emerge during the reading, but Pistorius will only know the judgment for or against him at the end of what is likely to be a long reading that will grip the world's attention.

Oscar Pistorius Verdict Due Thursday: The Countdown Begins - Crime & Courts, Murder, Olympics, True Crime, Oscar Pistorius, Reeva Steenkamp : People.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

A*O

[grabs popcorn]

Edit: watching it live now. She hasn't finished her verdict but it's already obvious the judge believes his bullshit. He got away with it. Bollox.
    Last edited by A*O; September 11th, 2014 at 06:27 AM.
    effie2 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I am still watching the verdict....Now it's getting interesting

Oscar is a mess

I think he's going to get off.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Probably, because of the lack of facts and evidence...

I switched over in the middle and didn't realise that was just for premeditated. Still hope for second degree.

Now there's a break. Final comments from the judge

The premediated murder case against him is “circumstantial”. The timeline of events “tip the favour of the accused.”
    “The state has clearly not proved beyond reasonable doubt he is guilty of premeditated murder.”

No Cookies | Herald Sun

The guy on the BBC is a moron. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. I had to switch to Sky and now the accent is killing me.

A*O

OJ Pistorius is going to walk (too many metaphors to worry about). Bugger.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yep, she believes he thought it was an intruder. He's getting away with it.

Yea, seems like the judge is going by Oscar's story.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

FFS...

He needs jail time. If he wholly gets away with this he'll think he's untouchable and go on to hurt others.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Looks like he will be set free, and serve no time

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information