Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Oscar Pistorius "Trial Of The Century" Starts Today

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    who knows why, but people have and do. maybe they like to feel involved, or a connection.
    In some other cases I would agree with you but the Stipps were extremely strong witnesses, after hearing what the heard Dr. Stipp went over and lo and behold there was a dead woman.

Fact, there were gunshots.
    Fact, they killed Reeva.
    Fact, people heard them.
    Note, the people that heard them were sleeping with windows open and AC off.

can't wait until this resumes, this 30 day eval is going to drag...
    Last edited by snoopqueen; May 21st, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
    arie_skop likes this.

Is anyone in the US watching the 48 Hours episode?

^ I am now

fgg

Oscar Pistorius back in court after mental health evaluation reveals he’s totally sane

I haven’t covered anything from the Oscar Pistorius trial since May, which is when Oscar’s legal team introduced medical evidence that Pistorius may have some kind of anxiety disorder and that’s why he shot Reeva Steenkamp. The prosecution and the defense agreed that Pistorius should go into a 30-day psychiatric observation. That observation was completed and today, Pistorius is back in court. So, what did the doctors learn about Pistorius during that 30-day observation? Pretty much what we knew already: Oscar Pistorius is not insane. He didn’t have any mitigating mental health issues when he killed his girlfriend.

A panel of mental health experts has concluded that Oscar Pistorius was not suffering from a mental illness when he killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in his home last year, the chief prosecutor at the athlete’s murder trial said Monday. Pistorius’s trial resumed after a break of one month during which a psychologist and three psychiatrists also assessed whether the double-amputee runner was capable of understanding the wrongfulness of his act when he shot Steenkamp through a closed toilet door.

The panel’s reports were submitted to Judge Thokozile Masipa, and prosecutor Gerrie Nel referred to key parts of the conclusions, noting that the experts believed Pistorius was “capable of appreciating the wrongfulness of his act” when he killed Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model.

The evaluation came after a psychiatrist, Dr. Merryll Vorster, testified for the defense that Pistorius, who has said he feels vulnerable because of his disability and long-held worry about crime, had an anxiety disorder that could have contributed to the killing in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2013. He testified that he opened fire after mistakenly thinking there was a dangerous intruder in the toilet.

Prosecutor Nel has alleged that Pistorius, 27, killed Steenkamp after a Valentine’s Day argument and has portrayed the Olympic athlete as a hothead with a love of guns and an inflated sense of entitlement. But he requested an independent inquiry into Pistorius’s state of mind based on concern the defense would argue Pistorius was not guilty because of mental illness.

Pistorius faces 25 years to life in prison if found guilty of premeditated murder, he and could also face years in prison if convicted of murder without premeditation or negligent killing. He is free on bail.

[From People]

That People article also has details about some of the other stuff that went down today in court, like testimony about just how mobile Pistorius is without his blades. He claims that he did not have his blades/prosthetic legs on when he shot Reeva, and one of the shrinks claims that because he was without his blades, he felt extra vulnerable. Is anyone buying this? Really? I wonder if Oscar’s 19-year-old girlfriend waited for him during his 30-day observation.

Cele|bitchy | Oscar Pistorius back in court after mental health evaluation reveals he’s totally sane
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

He's going down, I'm yelling timber
    gas_chick, rollo, Jazzy and 2 others like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I hope you are right. I watched the piece 48 hours did on him. I don't buy what he's selling.
    levitt, Jazzy and garysgirl1999 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I wonder if there is going to be so much posturing in court now?

A*O

There is also good evidence the police screwed up protecting the crimes scene. An electrical cord clearly visible in photos later disappeared which the judge has expressed concerns over. Also, an expensive watch was apparently stolen while police were at the scene. Fairly minor you'd think but it does cast doubt on the competence and integrity of the South African police. Oh shock.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^^^
    and increases the chances that he'll walk on a technicality...

there was an article about this on jezebel today and it linked to an older article about reeva's text messages and emails which were read out during the trial and holy shit, it's textbook abusive relationship. i know i shouldn't feel that way but it also made me angry at her for not knowing any better and getting out of this earlier.
    arie_skop likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

But it was a relationship of a few months and it was Valentine's Day. There is usually hope/blind faith at the start of a new relationship.
    Kittylady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I hope you are right. I watched the piece 48 hours did on him. I don't buy what he's selling.
    I don't either, but when they said maybe the screaming after the shots was actually him, not her, I might buy that.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Oscar Pistorius 'at risk of suicide' without further mental health care – live trial coverage

Lunchtime summary

Lots of activity in court this morning, as more details were aired of the two mental health evaluation reports compiled after Pistorius' 30-day psychiatric evaluation.
    • The report from the psychologist – head clinical psychologist at Weskoppies hospital, Jonathon Scholtz – concludes that Pistorius has been severely traumatised by the events of 14 February 2013, suffering depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, and "his condition is likely to worsen" if he does not continue mental health treatment, leading to an increased risk of suicide. There is no evidence of narcissism, psychopathy, abnormal aggression or explosive anger, and his relationship with Reeva Steenkamp shows no evidence of abuse. You can read more details from the report here and here.
    • But the report finds no evidence that he suffered from anxiety that could have affected his actions on the night, and does not meet the requirements for a diagnosis of generalised anxiety disorder.
    The conclusions of the panel of psychiatrists are that Pistorius currently presents with an adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood that developed after the alleged incident. However:
    At the time of the alleged offences, the accused did not suffer from a mental disorder or mental defect that affected his ability to distinguish between the rightful and wrongful nature of his deeds.
    Both state and defence indicated that they do not intend witnesses to be cross-examined on these reports.

Oscar Pistorius arrives at the high court in Pretoria this morning. Photograph: Gianluigi Guercia/AFP/Getty Images

• The evidence of Professor Wayne Derman, sports physician for Pistorius and the South African national teams, has been halted after the state raised an objection to his reading an email sent to him by Sue Kent, a disabled massage therapist from the UK. The judge is set to rule on admissibility after lunch.
    • Derman – who is expected to be the last witness for the defence – had earlier testified to the high levels of stress he had recorded in Pistorius, compared with other elite disabled athletes. Disabled individuals can have an "exaggerated" fight-or-flight response, he said. Derman told the court:
    He is an anxious individual … He has a tremor of the hands. He also has a sleep disorder, for which I have had to medicate him.
    Peet Van Zyl, Pistorius' manager, earlier completed his evidence. In cross-examination, he was challenged by Gerrie Nel over claims that Steenkamp was the first girlfriend invited to accompany Pistorius to overseas athletics events. The prosecution alleged that Pistorius had attempted to take a previous partner, Samantha Taylor, to the London 2012 Olympics.

(this is just an excerpt from the page, there are too many twitter links to copy the whole thing.)
    Oscar Pistorius 'at risk of suicide' without further mental health care €“ live trial coverage | World news | theguardian.com
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Elite Member

I'm totally fine with the asshole offing himself, after leaving a long letter of apology and a financial settlement for her parents. Then slash or hang yourself away, fuckwad.
    effie2, Beeyotch and rollo like this.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

A*O

Oh boo fucking hoo Oscar.
    effie2 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information