Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: Oscar Pistorius arrested after girlfriend shot dead

Yes, it does sound like a fit of rage and jealous especially if he saw the text message she received. But to crack her skull, that's awful. And, I'm sick of hearing the dad's comments that this was an accident and he acted on instinct. Whatever, Oscar is a murder.

after he smashed her skull in, did he not see her and realize she was no intruder? This really smells. GUILTY!!!!!

A*O

It's interesting to see, yet again, an elite sportsman being defended, excused and protected by a loyal cheersquad family and sport administrators who have probably enabled and indulged his irratic behaviour over the years. Is it any wonder these prima donnas have such a gross sense of entitlement? We then have to consider if the South African justice system will treat the country's poster boy any differently to an angry young man from Soweto who shoots/bashes his girlfriend to death. And whether his defence team play the Disability Card.
    effie2, Snarker and garysgirl1999 like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Murder case: Reeva Steenkamp text messages to rugby star checked as banned steroids ‘found in Oscar Pistorius's home'

• February 19, 2013 2:52PM

Watch
    Pistorius's lawyers want premeditated murder charge downgra...

The Olympic athlete's legal team hopes to convince a magistrate the killing was accidental or spontaneous. Source eNCA

• Oscar Pistorius charged with murder of Reeva Steenkamp
    • Steenkamp shot four times at sprint star's home
    • Police check Steenkamp's mobile phones and iPad
    • Police say death premeditated, want to find motive

REEVA Steenkamp's messages to a high-profile sports star could hold the key to investigations into her death amid reports that banned steroids were found in Oscar Pistorius's home.

The model will be cremated later today as Pistorius appears in court for a bail hearing expected to reveal more about what happened the night she was shot dead.South African police are believed to be checking SMS and text messages from the slain model's iPad and mobile phone to try to establish a motive for her death.
    Steenkamp was believed to be in a “close friendship” with rugby star Francois Hougaard when she was killed.
    Olympian Pistorius has been charged with the Valentine's Day murder of 29-year-old Steenkamp who was shot dead at his luxury Pretoria home in a case that has gripped the world.
    Defence lawyers are expected to argue that there are "exceptional circumstances'' for Pistorius to be freed pending trial.
    As a result, more details will likely emerge of what happened during the Valentine's Day shooting at Pistorius's luxury home in Pretoria.

Cops are reportedly testing Oscar Pistorius' blood for traces of steroids after finding banned drugs in his home after the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

The state, arguing premeditated murder, will oppose bail.
    Both sides have called in heavyweight lawyers, setting the scene for a massive legal showdown.
    Detectives are also investigating whether the famed "Blade Runner" sprint star was overcome with aggression, or "roid rage", a side effect of the banned drugs, The Sun reports.
    Blood samples taken from Pistorius are now being tested for steroid traces.
    A senior police officer told South Africa's Times newspaper banned steroids were found in a drawer in a bedroom.
    "The drugs and syringes were found shortly after the house was sealed off . Crime scene investigators were searching a room linked to the crime when they found them ," the Times quoted an unnamed officer as saying.

South African rugby star Francois Hougaard pictured in in Sydney in 2012. He was a close friend of Reeva Steenkamp.

"Along with the drugs and syringes, officers seized the victim's iPad and mobile phones.
    "They are being analysed by computer data experts, who have retrieved important information, including SMSes and social-media site messages, which are potential keys in establishing the motive."
    Reports in South Africa have linked Steenkamp with Hougaard, who is also friends with Pistorius.
    Hougaard, 24, pulled out of playing for his rugby union side the Bulls at the weekend as speculation grew about his relationship with the slain model.
    The speculation was fuelled by postings on Twitter, with journalists and even Nelson Mandela's personal assistant, posting messages which read: “Have you heard *rumours about a rugby player alleged to be involved somehow? We all have.”
    Investigators are looking into whether Steenkamp's friendship with Hougaard may have sparked the rows which were heard in the hours leading up to the shooting.

Oscar Pistorius weeps as he faces court charged with the murder of his girlfriend. Picture: AP

The pair have been friends for several years and had reportedly dated in the past.
    Hougaard, on his Twitter account, reposted a photo of himself with Steenkamp and two other friends, which read: "Happier times with special people. We all miss u so much Reevs".
    Hougaard's agent Lorinda Voges said he was in mourning for his friend, Britain's Daily Telegraph reported.
    "Our client will not comment on any rumours or answer any questions regarding Reeva Steenkamp or Oscar Pistorius at this stage as this is still an ongoing investigation ... this sad ordeal has nothing to do with him,” she said.
    Earlier, police reportedly found a bloody bat and evidence of heavy drinking at Pistorius’s Pretoria home.
    The sprint star's family has strongly denied he intentionally killed his girlfriend.

Oscar Pistorius posing last month with girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, whom he is accused of shooting dead at his home.

He is due to appear in court on Tuesday at a bail hearing.
    Steenkamp is due to be buried in Port Elizabeth on Tuesday.
    It will be the first opportunity for the prosecution to describe evidence police gathered against the 26-year-old double-amputee runner and the reasons why he was charged with murder. Prosecutors allege the killing was premeditated.

Pistorius's family denies he committed murder though they have not addressed whether he shot her. When word first emerged about the killing there was speculation in the local media that Steenkamp had been mistaken for an intruder in Pistorius' home. Police have said that was not something they were considering.
    In an email to The Associated Press on Monday, Pistorius's longtime track coach - who was yet to comment - said he believes the killing was an accident.

Read more here: Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

This case just gets worse for Oscar.

We have all seem him throw a fit right in public. Worse in private,I'll bet. Sounds like he saw her as another trophy that was about to walk. I only wish she had.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Nike has pulled this ad -

That is chilling now.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The bail hearing is happening now

His defense put together a good little script to memorize, and what with the wailing and great acting maybe he'll convince people. He's not convinced me though. I agree with this:
    ' @BBCAndrewH: Too scripted says a criminologist. Unconvinced.'

Oscar failed to mention the arguments they had that night and he lied about not being violent.

I have always had a bad feeling this is gonna be another OJ case.
    arie_skop and garysgirl1999 like this.

Years ago in my hometown,a very rich boy shot to death his girlfriend because she wanted to breakup with him.Every one knew he will get cleared and be free in no time at all.His family,s money and social standing was enough.Father of the girl visited the local police chief and they had a talk.About a month later the killer was shot in the head and died.Police car a a 2 men crew were taking him in a bigger town for trial,because his family didnt trust local juries.World of mouth is the chief let the girl.s family know murderer would be transmitted,the crew was notified and they later said they were stopped by unknown masked people,had to move away and then they heard a shot.We all believe it was the girl.s father ,nothing was proven and the rich boy,s family understood nothing could be done.
    If something ever happened to my kids,that is exactly what i would do.
    I dont give a shit of the whys and hows asshole did it.I wont let him live.Period.
    greysfang likes this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

fgg

Pistorius: I felt 'sense of terror' on night I mistakenly shot 'deeply' loved girlfriend

“Blade Runner” Oscar Pistorius claimed Tuesday that he had heard a noise in the bathroom and felt “a sense of terror” on the night he fatally shot his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, insisting he thought someone had broken into his South Africa home.

In a statement read to a court hearing, the double-amputee Olympic and Paralympic star wrote that he loved Steenkamp "deeply." He also said he had received death threats in the past and kept a firearm beside his bed.

Earlier Tuesday, Prosecutor Gerrie Nel insisted there was nothing to support Pistorius’ claim that he feared there was an intruder in the house when he killed Steenkamp. She was shot dead through the door of a small bathroom in Pistorius’ home in a suburb of Pretoria early on Valentine’s Day.

The NBC Olympic and "Rock Center" correspondent spent a week over the summer with Oscar Pistorius and tells NBC's David Gregory that he was a "gun guy" who was worried about his safety and security.

The claims were made at a bail hearing -- described as a “little trial” by one expert -- that is being held to determine whether Pistorius should be freed pending trial.

Magistrate Desmond Nair ruled that Pistorius would face a charge of premeditated murder, but the hearing was adjourned until Wednesday morning.

As the defense and prosecution lawyers argued, the family and friends of the slain model and law-school graduate Steenkamp held a tearful funeral in her hometown.

As his statement was read to the court, Pistorius sobbed uncontrollably at times, prompting Nair to say, "I know it's difficult. ... I'm going to find it difficult to concentrate. ... Maintain your composure."

'She died in my arms'
    The statement denied Pistorius had deliberately killed Steenkamp “in the strongest terms," adding that the athlete was "deeply in love'' with her, according to Reuters.

"I had no intention to kill my girlfriend," the statement said.

According to Pistorius' account, he and Steenkamp had decided to "have a quiet dinner together at home" and by about 10 p.m. they had retired to his bedroom, where she was doing yoga as he was lying down and watching television. After finishing her yoga, she got into bed with him and the two fell asleep, Pistorius' statement said.

During the early morning hours, it said, Pistorius woke up and went to his bedroom balcony to bring a fan inside and close the sliding glass doors and blinds.

"I heard a noise in my bathroom. ... I felt a sense of terror. ... I believed that someone had entered my house. ... I grabbed my 9mm pistol," it said.

Pistorius' statement said contractors had been working at his house and had left ladders outside, and there were no security bars on the bathroom window. The bathroom contained a separate toilet area with its own door.

“As I did not have my prosthetic legs on I felt extremely vulnerable. I had to protect Reeva and myself. ... I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps,” it said.

The statement then described Pistorius hearing movement inside the bathroom. "I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted at Reeva to phone the police," it said. "She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.

"When I reached the bed, I realized that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet."

The statement also described Pistorius trying to open the locked bathroom door but failing, then grabbing a cricket bat to smash open the door. "Reeva was slumped over but alive. I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom."

Pistorius’ statement said that moments after the shooting he “picked Reeva up as I'd been told not to wait for the paramedics. ... She died in my arms.”

Earlier in the hearing, Nel said Steenkamp had arrived in Pistorius' home sometime between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. on the night before she died.

There was "no possible explanation to support" Pistorius' claim that he thought Steenkamp was an intruder, Nel said.

And he added that even if Steenkamp had been an intruder, the shooting would still have been the murder of a burglar.

Nel said Pistorius had armed himself, put on his prosthetic legs, walked to the bathroom and shot Steenkamp several times through the locked door as she sat on the toilet. "She locked that door for a purpose," Nel said.

"If I arm myself, walk a distance and murder a person, that is premeditated," he said, according to Reuters. "The door is closed. There is no doubt. I walk seven meters (just over 22 feet) and I kill."

"The motive is 'I want to kill.' That's it," he added. "This deceased was in a 1.4- (4.5 feet) by 1.14-meter little room. She could go nowhere. It must have been horrific."

The prosecutor also asked why a burglar would have locked himself inside the bathroom.

After the shooting, Pistorius carried Steenkamp downstairs, where he met a security guard and a friend, according to the prosecution, and told them that he had thought she had been an intruder.

Pistorius' defense argued the sports star was not guilty of murder for that reason.

The defense lawyer claimed other husbands had shot their wives thinking they were intruders and asked, "Where's the premeditation?"

Following the defense's statements, Nel said he was now "more convinced" about what happened.

Karyn Maughan, legal correspondent for South Africa news channel ENCA, told NBC's TODAY that if a premeditated murder charge stands, there would be dire consequences for Pistorius.

“If he can’t prove that her death was unintentional, then it is unlikely he will get bail and he also faces a life sentence in jail,” she said. “He must try to convince the court he shot her in confusion, thinking she was an intruder."

Pistorius has hired his own high-profile forensic expert to analyze the police reports and post-mortem exam, ENCA reported. His defense team includes lawyer Kenny Oldwage, who previously won an acquittal for a driver accused of killing Nelson Mandela's great-grandchild in a 2010 accident.

'Where's my little girl'
    Model and law-school graduate Steenkamp's relatives are hoping for answers.

"Why my little girl?" her mother, June Steenkamp, said in an interview with The Times of Johannesburg, calling her bubbly, blond daughter "the most beautiful person who ever lived."

"All we have is this horrendous death to deal with ... to get to grips with," she said. "All we want are answers ... answers as to why this had to happen, why our beautiful daughter had to die like this."

Steenkamp's family and friends gathered at a 90-seat chapel in Port Elizabeth, where Steenkamp grew up, for her funeral.

"She's my little sister and she's gone," her brother, Adam, told ENCA. "There is a big hole there that cannot be filled by anything else."

Steenkamp and Pistorius had been dating for about three months, and she tweeted a Valentine's Day message hours before her death.

The track star, who captivated the world when he became the first double-amputee to run in the Olympics at last summer's London Games, was a gun enthusiast who once took a reporter writing a profile of him to a firing range.

A South African newspaper reported Monday that he nearly shot a friend by accident while handling another friend's gun at a Johannesburg restaurant.

"I had quite a fright because the bullet hit the ground centimeters from my foot," boxer Kevin Lerena told the Beeld newspaper, according to Agence France-Presse.

"For some reason it got caught on his trousers, flipped the safety pin and a shot went off. I wouldn't say he was negligent. Days afterwards he was still apologizing."

Pistorius: I felt 'sense of terror' on night I mistakenly shot 'deeply' loved girlfriend - World News
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

"Pistorius’ statement said that moments after the shooting he “picked Reeva up as I'd been told not to wait for the paramedics. ... She died in my arms.” "

"After the shooting, Pistorius carried Steenkamp downstairs, where he met a security guard and a friend, according to the prosecution, and told them that he had thought she had been an intruder."

Too many things aren't sitting right here. He says that he didn't have his prosthetic legs on and that was an added feeling of vulnerability but that he didn't want to wait for a paramedic so he carried her downstairs. Now surely to do that he would have had to take the time to put his legs on to be able to get a fully grown and slippery with blood adult female down the stairs. If there was enough time to do that (and phone a friend) then there was more than enough time to summon trained assistance.

My guess? He went full on blown out and smacked her in the head with a cricket bat. Maybe she lost consciousness, maybe she didn't (the human body can do unbelievable things when the Fight or Flight response kicks in) but somehow she made it to the supposed sanctuary of the toilet and locked herself in. Pistorius knew that there was very little way to avoid the shit hitting the fan and splattering his Olympic Hero status to hell so he decided that he had to finish the job and shot her. He phones a good buddy for help and is in the process of trying to move her body and possibly set the scene for a home invasion/abduction scenario when he is interrupted by a neighbour and the estate security. With his initial plan blown to hell he has to fall back on an even shakier defense and admit that he was the shooter but that it was mistaken identity.
    Sarzy, stef, arie_skop and 1 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Her poor Mother!
    Interesting to me is that only a judge will decide this case. They have no juries anymore.

^^I found that striking as well, McJag. I've also had a hard time getting my head around the difference between murder and premeditated murder.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

The no jury thing is a bit troubling. I read on another site that a lot of corruption goes on in SA justice system with people getting paid off etc. Hopefully that wouldn't happen with such a high profile case, but..

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information