Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: Oscar Pistorius arrested after girlfriend shot dead

Yes, this is odd. The bail hearing is taking forever, so many delays.

Botha has been dropped from the case so a new cop/detective will step in. I hope he does a better job than Botha.

Except for the actual bullets and body, prosecution is on shaky ground.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The bail hearing has began again, hopefully the judge makes a decision today.

David Smith @SmithInAfrica Nel: SA does not have extradition agreements with every country. "Lots of important people have fled, are still fleeing justice."

Oscar Pistorius bail decision - live coverage | World news | guardian.co.uk

I could kiss the woman who wrote this (sorry it's a bit long)

from Daily Telegraph, by Allison Pearson, 20th February 2013.

Oscar Pistorius case: The Blonde is the victim here, Blade

Oscar Pistorius’s story has more holes than a colander. I don’t feel an ounce of pity for him.

The irrelevance of Oscar Pistorius's girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp to the main event was confirmed by a tabloid headline. 'Blade Slays Blonde', it proclaimed, not bothering to give her the dignity of a name.

If you have just accidentally shot dead the woman you love, what do you do? Is
    it:

a) Dial 999 and summon an ambulance
    b) Call your girlfriend’s parents and beg forgiveness
    c) Go to a church and pray hard
    d) Hire a leading PR to manage your reputation.

Call me a foolish romantic, but I would rule out “d” right away. If you were innocent and grief-stricken, why would your thoughts turn to “crisis communications”? Yet this is exactly what Oscar Pistorius did within hours of the violent death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria.

The 26-year-old Paralympian called up Stuart Higgins, the former editor of The Sun and now a public relations expert. Pistorius’s PR team lost no time in relaunching his website to put the most positive spin on what they variously describe as “these tragic events” and “this terrible, terrible tragedy”. Looking at the website, with its stirring pictures of the Blade Runner in action, you notice that the words murder and death do not feature. For, lo, we have enterd the soothing land of PR euphemism, where world-famous
    disabled heroes do not gun down.

Among those paying tribute to Oscar is his uncle, Arnold Pistorius. “Words cannot adequately describe our feelings,” says Arnold. “The lives of our entire family have been turned upside down for ever by this unimaginable human tragedy and Reeva’s family have suffered a terrible loss.”

Observe that it is the Pistorius family which has suffered “an unimaginable human tragedy” – their golden boy faces a career-wrecking charge of premeditated murder. The family of Reeva Steenkamp, the victim of the crime who appears to have been shot three times while in the toilet, has merely suffered “a terrible loss”.

Reeva’s irrelevance to the main event was confirmed by a tabloid headline. “Blade Slays Blonde”, it proclaimed, not bothering to give her the dignity of a name. On Tuesday, as a hearse took Reeva’s body to the crematorium, Oscar Pistorius sobbed throughout a bail hearing. It was an affecting performance. One might almost call it Oscar-winning. Commentators began to admit they felt a sneaky sympathy for the stricken track star. Even the magistrate asked him if he was feeling all right.

And so, very cunningly, the tragedy is appropriated from the dead woman and becomes the tragedy of the man accused of killing her. The fact that, according to a neighbour, he silenced Steenkamp’s screams with two further gunshots, is of little consequence to Pistorius’s supporters.

“I didn’t have my prosthetic legs on. I felt vulnerable,” explained Pistorius, playing the disability card for the first time in a life that has, until now, been remarkably free of self-pity. He was explaining why he fired at a locked bathroom door behind which he was convinced there was a burglar. Because burglars always lock themselves in bathrooms, don’t they? To steal the soap and the hand towel. Just as girlfriends always lock the door when they need a pee in the middle of the night. And men who think there’s a
    burglar in the bathroom never bother to shout out first and give their girlfriend a chance to say, “Baby, put the gun down, it’s only me.”

Pistorius’s story has more holes than a colander. I don’t feel an ounce of pity for him. Of course, his PR man, Stuart Higgins, begs to differ: “Our job is to capture some of the support that Oscar is receiving from all over the world, lots of positive messages from people who still believe in him,” explained Higgins.

Fame – that is, real global fame of the kind Oscar Pistorius enjoys – has its own protective forcefield. You can believe in a star even when you no longer believe the story they’re trying to peddle. That’s why Michael Jackson kept selling records. That’s why, even now, there are Lance Armstrong fans who have clung to the faith. When fans say they still “believe” in a celebrity, what they mean is: “I refuse to let any unpleasant facts interfere with the noble image I have of you.” Even if those unpleasant facts include the corpse of a 29-year-old model and law student who was, by all accounts, as
    lovely as her face.

At the height of the Jimmy Savile scandal, the entertainer’s niece told ITV’s This Morning that her relatives were angry when she decided to speak out about what creepy Uncle Jimmy had done to her. “Without his fame, they’d be nothing,” explained the niece.

Fame can do that. It zips people’s lips and mortgages their hearts. Only weeks ago, Oscar Pistorius fired a gun in a restaurant. The bullet narrowly missed a friend’s foot, but police were not called. If a complaint had been made, maybe the testosterone-fuelled athlete might have realised he was not above the law. But the restaurant owner was happy to accept that no gun had been fired because Oscar’s friends lied to protect his reputation.

The obvious comparison here is with O J Simpson, who went on trial in Los Angeles in 1995 for the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman. Like Pistorius, Simpson had form when it came to domestic violence. The prosecution thought it had a solid case. But, also like Blade Runner, O J was a good-looking sports god who had overcome considerable odds to find fame, fortune and a beautiful blonde. Race was a complicating factor, but it was O J’s celebrity that turned a vicious murder case into
    the Trial of the Century. Last September, 18 years after Simpson was sensationally acquitted, Kato Kaelin (a TV personality and witness at the trial) was asked if Simpson killed Brown and Goldman. Kaelin replied: “The statute of limitations has now passed… so I can now say… yes, he did it.”

Asked why he let O J Simpson get away with murder, Kaelin said: “I was too scared. I was terrified… People hated me. I’ve been spat upon. They threw gum in my coffee.”

Fame can do that, too. Never underestimate the human desire not to know the worst about our heroes.

Let me leave you with a piercing irony. Just days before Reeva Steenkamp was killed, she sent tweets offering her support for female victims of violence. Her country has a deplorable record in that area. On average, a South African woman is killed every eight hours by her partner or relative.

After her funeral, Steenkamp’s Uncle Mike told reporters that his niece wanted to be an activist for ending abuse against women. “Unfortunately, it has swung right around, but I think that the Lord knows that her statement is more powerful now,” he said.

It certainly is. When Oscar Pistorius’s case comes to court, it should be the man who faces the murder charge, not the sporting legend. Gold medallists can be made of baser metals. There is only one victim of unimaginable human tragedy here. Her name was Reeva Steenkamp. "

arie_skop, stef, McJag and 3 others like this.

fgg

bail of $28,500 and deemed not a threat to society????
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Feb 24, 9:38 AM (ET)

By NOSTRADAMUS

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) - Oscar Pistorius is expressing great shock and sadness at the revelation that he shot his paperboy this morning. "I heard an explosion," said Pretorius. "I had no idea that the Sunday edition makes such a huge smacking sound as it hits my porch, and I just fired reflexively. Also, I didn't have my legs on, and you know how that is."

So predictable. Pathetic. If you want to murder your girlfriend and get away with it just become famous and rich y'all. (i know this wasn't the trial, but come on, it's obvious what will happen)
    And very classy of his family to scream out yesssss when he was given bail.
    McJag, Lenny, DeadDwarf and 3 others like this.

Sarzy, thank you for that piece. Just wonderful and dead on.
    Sarzy likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Just as there a plenty of holes in his story, there are even more in the bungling prosecution/police. What brainiac put that doofus cop in charge? What a gift to his lawyers! The general consensus is that this is already OJ 2 so why bother having a trial. The only hope is that they will appoint a judge with some balls and integrity who isn't afraid to make himself a target (probably literally) for locking up poor disabled Oscar.

Actually, I predict he'll be charged with involuntary manslaughter, get a token suspended sentence and be welcomed back as a hero with his creepy family still saying it was all an unfortunate misunderstanding and its the Blonde's fault anyway.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Even though he is an evil, lying, girlfriend-murdering, roid-raging asshat, I'd still hit it **hangs head in shame**
    Icepik and Mel1973 like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

Ew!! Release the doves!!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Not me, I would have been hitting that hot young rugby player.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

But look how sweet he is when it suits him.

Plus, he's fine as hell.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

No! Bad Greys!!! Bad, bad Greys!!! No murderers for you!
    aggie likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Aw c'mon, can't I have just one?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information