Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Norwegian killer Breivik sentenced to 21 years (!)

I take it that a dusty commode seat is considered harsh punishment there.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

and despite such a 'lenient' justice system and nice prisons, their crime rate is still waaaay lower than the US with its harsh prison system and opposition to rehabilitation of prisoners. and recidivism rates after being in prison are way lower than they are in the US too... whereas in the US the only thing people learn in prison is how to become worse criminals once they're released.

i doubt breivik will ever be set free. at least not until he's an old man. canada has a similar system. the maximum life sentence is, i think, 24 years, but there is a special category of prisoner that can be held for longer if it is decided that they still pose a threat.
    Linne, Honey, Karistiona and 2 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ True. Per capita the US has 8 times as many murders as Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ True. Per capita the US has 8 times as many murders as Norway.
    Almost all of Norway's murderers (aka, "Vikings") left the country centuries ago to go cause trouble in other countries.

"Soft" justice is not a guarantee that crime rates are/stay low. Sometimes it seems like an invitation for criminals to do their thing. We've been stationed in The Netherlands for several years now. It's a tiny country that is not exactly known for severe punishment for (capital) crimes or a tough prison regime. Our Dutch hosts, co-workers and friends are, pretty much without exception, complaining about the crime rate; how it's up in the more heavy types of crime not just by Dutch criminals, but by imported criminals (Eastern European "mob", Russian "mob" especially) or crime syndicates who KNOW they can pretty much get away with murder or organized crime.

Edit: typo.
    Last edited by HWBL; August 24th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    "Soft" justice is not a guarantee that crime rates are/stay low. Sometimes it seems like an invitation for criminals to do their thing.
    I do agree with that. I think there are lots of factors as to why some places have much higher crime rates, and they're not all to do with their justice systems.
    Lalique likes this.

^^^
    true, it's not all about the justice system. but it is a big deal. and statistics will show that places where the prison system still places importance on rehabilitation, have lower recidivism rates than places that do not.
    the fact is, most criminals who go to jail are coming out again. and i know i'd rather live somewhere where there is a chance they will come out better people, rather than just go to prison to learn to become even worse individuals than when they went in.

breivik's case is rather exceptional and maybe there is no rehabilitating him, but that is why in his case, exceptional measures will probably be taken and he most likely will be held indefinitely.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information