Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Nine Dead in Shooting at African-American Church in Charleston SC

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    My 15 and 19yo boys are exactly the same. When gay marriage became a big thing on tv a few years ago, they were honestly confused what all the fuss was about and had no idea that gay people couldn't get married. Then they dismissed the subject with their best teenaged disgust and a "that's stupid" comment.

Still, when my 15yo describes someone at school to me, he never mentions color or ethnicity. He just says brown hair, brown eyes, skinny...stuff like that, but never race.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I hope so, but this kid is 21. He is one who will be middle age when the tide turns. The men who are becoming frightened now are raising boys and teaching them their fear. I do not beleive the bigots will win, but I do believe we will see things like this shooting as a result of whites losing the majority. It is easy for the current generation of white kids to not see color when they are still the majority. Let's hope they continue to feel that way when they are the minority and lose their white priviledge.
    I just asked my son if he knew what white priviledge is. Has no idea. lol

My son goes to the same schools hubby and I attended in the 80's. Now, I am going to make some statements that are not meant to be derogatory, but really more an observation of the times. When we were in these schools, we had a handful of black kids in our class, maybe 30. I think I had maybe 5 black friends a year. Same could be said over overweight kids. There were only a handful in each grade. In high school, I had 500 kids in my grade.

Now, my son still has 500 kids in his class. However, minorities are about 40-45%. It's just more commonplace than when I was a kid. And the "minority" are mainly mixed race kids. Even in my neighborhood, the minorities are mixed race. My neighbors on the left, he is white, she is black. My neighbors on the right, she is white, he is black. Both families have kids. I don't think it's unusual anymore. No one's shocked if they bring a friend home who is "black" (can't say this for the 80's.) Just like no one is shocked by the amount of obese kids anymore, it's commonplace. Truthfully, my son would have no idea if someone is Jewish or not. He has no idea how to identify anyone by last name indicating heritage, other than Hispanic names, at least. Now I'm in the city, but rural Iowa could be totally different, and probably is.

I have no doubt that racism is still taught in families. By lower middle class whites who need someone to blame for their problems. My dad is old school, ad I have no doubt he was raised this way. I would say lower middle class white man. He was 20 during the civil rights movement. Growing up, he said, "N-----" all the time. It was embarrassing. If I brought a black friend home, he'd be like, "WTH is she doing here?" He's mortified me more than once growing up. Dad also loves his fucking guns. But my brother and I did not follow in his footsteps. So it doesn't have to run in the family.

I don't know how I would have handled the Birmingham situation. My big mouth probably would have attempted a spout off, because I would be enraged, while hubby would be whispering in my ear, "They are going to kill us as we sleep," and desperately get out of the situation.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

sluce and *Kat* like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I just asked my son if he knew what white priviledge is. Has no idea. lol

My son goes to the same schools hubby and I attended in the 80's. Now, I am going to make some statements that are not meant to be derogatory, but really more an observation of the times. When we were in these schools, we had a handful of black kids in our class, maybe 30. I think I had maybe 5 black friends a year. Same could be said over overweight kids. There were only a handful in each grade. In high school, I had 500 kids in my grade.

Now, my son still has 500 kids in his class. However, minorities are about 40-45%. It's just more commonplace than when I was a kid. And the "minority" are mainly mixed race kids. Even in my neighborhood, the minorities are mixed race. My neighbors on the left, he is white, she is black. My neighbors on the right, she is white, he is black. Both families have kids. I don't think it's unusual anymore. No one's shocked if they bring a friend home who is "black" (can't say this for the 80's.) Just like no one is shocked by the amount of obese kids anymore, it's commonplace. Truthfully, my son would have no idea if someone is Jewish or not. He has no idea how to identify anyone by last name indicating heritage, other than Hispanic names, at least. Now I'm in the city, but rural Iowa could be totally different, and probably is.

I have no doubt that racism is still taught in families. By lower middle class whites who need someone to blame for their problems. My dad is old school, ad I have no doubt he was raised this way. I would say lower middle class white man. He was 20 during the civil rights movement. Growing up, he said, "N-----" all the time. It was embarrassing. If I brought a black friend home, he'd be like, "WTH is she doing here?" He's mortified me more than once growing up. Dad also loves his fucking guns. But my brother and I did not follow in his footsteps. So it doesn't have to run in the family.

I don't know how I would have handled the Birmingham situation. My big mouth probably would have attempted a spout off, because I would be enraged, while hubby would be whispering in my ear, "They are going to kill us as we sleep," and desperately get out of the situation.

That's usually me as well, my mouth gets me in trouble especially when I perceive something as being unjust, but honestly there was more of those scary men than there was of us- just me and my husband in the lobby when we ran into the issue- and considering we aren't from there and we were traveling with a bunch of Cal-bread, weed-smoking, tattoo flaunting, multi-racial musicians and we just wanted to mind our P's & Q's the best we could.

There was more than one or two incidents we ran into while traveling through some of the more conservative states when cops would show up where we were working, or pull the buses over, looking for drugs or whatever the fuck they were hoping to find. They hated us, lol, so I was definitely not trying to stir up too much trouble.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Elite Member

The Women We Lost in Charleston

We've heard enough about Dylann Roof—it's time to focus on the women whose lives he tore away.

The Women Who Died in Charleston Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Shooting

Jun 22, 2015 @ 6:37 PM
    By Maria Recapito

Getty

By now, you know the name of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church in Charleston, South Carolina. And you know the name of the shooter, Dylann Roof, who opened fire during Bible study last week and killed nine innocent victims.

But do you know the names of the inspiring, heartbreakingly good women he killed? Do you know the poignant history that brought them together?

The congregation of AME dates back to 1787, and the original building was burned to the ground in the 1820s amid rumors it was the headquarters for a slave revolt. By the time it was rebuilt, all-black churches were outlawed, and worship took place underground until the end of the Civil War. Booker T. Washington and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke there, and Coretta Scott King led a march from its front steps.

This long and difficult history is why worshippers called it "Mother Emanuel," and it's part of what drew them there on the evening of June 17. Now they join a brutal litany of injustices.
    Here are the women we lost.

The Mentor

Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45

A pastor, speech therapist, and track and field coach, Coleman-Singleton motivated her students in a very particular way: She ran alongside them. The New Jersey native was a single mother of three.
    Chris Huskey, the principal and her colleague at Goose Creek High School, said: "She taught those young ladies how to be better young ladies, and that can never be replaced."
    The Gator Nation family of athletes and students gathered in the gymnasium the evening after her death for an evening of prayer. "She was love. She was love. She still is love," her sister Jaqueline told CBS.

https://twitter.com/sassylibrarian1/...060544/photo/1

The Advocate

Cynthia Hurd, 54

The lifelong Charleston resident managed the busiest branch of the city's library system, and all 16 branches were closed to honor her memory the day after the shooting.
    Her employers called her "a tireless servant of the community."
    She also worked for not one but two nonprofits dedicated to the cause of public housing, serving as president of the Septima P. Clark Corporation.
    One of her brothers, former North Carolina State Senator Malcolm Graham, said in a statement, "It is unimaginable that she would walk into a church and never return, but that's who she was—a woman of faith."

https://twitter.com/DaveWagnerTV/sta...376896/photo/1

The Matriarch

Susie Jackson, 87

The oldest victim of the shooting had an active social calendar, traveling from one relative's graduation to the next huge family reunion to whatever celebration would follow.
    Her nephew Kenneth Washington said, "My aunt was a loving person.
    She never taught us to hate." Another nephew, Tywanza Sanders, died trying to save her. They were attending Bible study together that night, and he threw himself over her body.

https://twitter.com/tamarbirckhead/s...243584/photo/1

Ethel Lance, 70

Lance had already suffered enough tragedy. She lost her husband in 1988, as well as a daughter to cancer in 2013.
    She found solace singing the gospel song "One Day at a Time" at weekly gatherings of the church's senior citizens group.
    She worked as a custodian at the Gaillard Municipal Auditorium for over 30 years, and was a lifelong member of Mother Emanuel. "She was the heart of the family," her grandson said.

https://twitter.com/MichaelSkolnik/s...967170/photo/1

The Preservationist

Myra Thompson, 59

Alongside Reverend Clementa Pinkney, who was also killed in the attack, Thompson worked to restore and preserve Mother Emanuel's buildings through fire, earthquake, hurricane weather, and other troubled times. She was determined to do the same for the church's spiritual life, and so this mother—and wife of a pastor from another church—joined the ministry, receiving her license on Wednesday night just hours before her death.
    "There's no one speech that someone can give, no one protest or rally or vigil or march or document to fix this," said her half-brother J.A. Moore to MSNBC.

https://twitter.com/brownblaze/statu...616192/photo/1

The Singer

Rev. DePayne Middleton-Doctor, 49

Another woman on this list who dedicated her life to the church and to social justice, Middleton-Doctor worked as the Charleston County director of the Community Development Block Grant Program.
    A mother to four daughters, she also sang in the church's choir, and co-parishioners and friends talked of her transporting voice.

"My beautiful songbird," relative Laurie Middleton wrote on Facebook. Her family is calling on the community to not let her death be in vain. "We should put our faith to action, making a conscious decision to be more than empty drums that have long lost their melodies. In South Carolina the Confederate flag—an unequivocal symbol of hate—remains on statehouse grounds.
    We must demand the flag be removed immediately—we cannot let icons of racism fly free within our society," they said in a statement. "We call on all people, public officials, faith leaders and Americans from all walks of life to help address the festering sores of racism as it spurs an unforgiving culture of violence."

https://twitter.com/Colorlines/statu...277824/photo/1

Such wonderful, beautiful people.

Their loss just so fucking sad and stupid.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Elite Member

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Storm Roof got a free meal from police on his way to jail. They went to Burger King.

After about 16 hours on the run, the admitted mass murderer complained to cops arresting him in Shelby, N.C., that he was hungry, so police got him food from the nearby fast food joint, according to an account of his arrest in The Charlotte Observer.

“He was very quiet, very calm,” Shelby Police Officer Jeff Ledford told the paper. “He sat down here very quietly. He was not problematic.”oof, a 21-year-old high school dropout from Columbia, was arrested the morning after the massacre at the historic Mother Emanuel AME Church,which left nine worshippers dead.

Cops caught him thanks to a tip from a florist who recognized his photoand even followed him for 35 miles. Once police pulled over his black Hyundai sedan on a highway, he nonchalantly lowered his window, handed over his ID and said, “I’m Dylann Roof,” the Observer reported.

His car had a Confederate States of America plate on its front and a .45-caliber handgun inside — the gun he got with birthday money from his parents.
    In the hours before his arrest, the psycho had gassed up at a Shell station, got some cash from the ATM and bought a bottle of water and a bag of Doritos around 5:50 a.m. This was shortly before police put out Roof’s photo, so employees thought nothing of their encounters with the seemingly polite killer, according to the Observer.

Once he was caught, Roof told cops he was en route to Nashville because he had “never been there before.”

Roof has now been charged for the nine murders from his shooting rampage at a Bible study session, which he has confessed to. The latest revelations on his twisted past show he had written a hate-charged manifesto saying he had “no choice” but to wage bloody war against blacks. He posted it online and last modified it just hours before the shooting.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/nation...icle-1.2267615

The people who go to that AME Church are better people than me, cause I hate this motherfucker.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Friend of accused Charleston church shooter charged with concealing details

By Evan Perez and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN

Updated 10:27 AM ET, Fri September 18, 2015

(CNN)Joey Meek, a friend of accused Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof, has been indicted on charges of concealing information related to the shootings and of making false statements to the FBI, including withholding details of Roof's plan, according to court documents unsealed Friday.

Meek is scheduled to appear at 11 a.m. ET Friday in U.S. District Court in Columbia, South Carolina, according to court documents.

In the days after the shooting, Meek spoke with reporters with CNN and other media outlets, recounting how Roof had drunkenly vowed one night "to do something crazy."

Meek said he hid Roof's gun that night but put it back the next day.

"I didn't take him serious,' he said.

But according to the indictment, Meek may have known more than he let on.

Prosecutors allege Meek told an FBI agent questioning him after the shootings that "he did not know specifics of Dylann Roof's plan to shoot individuals on a Wednesday, during Bible Study, at an AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina."

In reality, prosecutors say, "Meek's statements and representations denying such specifics were false, fictitious and fraudulent when made."

The indictment also charges Meek with failing to notify authorities of the shooting "as soon as possible."

Meek told CNN that he heard the description of the suspect the next morning and called the FBI to give authorities details of what Roof was wearing and the license plate on his car.

More at link: Accused Charleston shooter Dylann Roof's friend charged - CNN.com

I'm happy about this. Those boys knew and never said anything.
    Last edited by greysfang; September 18th, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Good. Two racist assholes on trial.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Death Penalty Sought For Charleston Church Shooter Dylann Roof

The Justice Department clamps down on the 22-year-old.

By Radar Staff
    Posted on May 25, 2016 @ 11:41AM

Getty Images

The Justice Department announced plans to seek the death penalty against Dylann Roof, the 22-year-old accused of killing nine people during a racially motivated shooting at a Charleston church last June.

“Following the department’s rigorous review process to thoroughly consider all relevant factual and legal issues, I have determined that the Justice Department will seek the death penalty,” Attorney General Loretta Lynch said in a statement on Monday. “The nature of the alleged crime and the resulting harm compelled this decision.”

“The nature of the alleged crime and the resulting harm,” she continued, “compelled this decision.”

PHOTOS: Celebrity Racist Rants
    Meanwhile, Roof’s trial, originally scheduled for this summer, has been postponed until January (at least), in order for to Roof to undergo psychological testing.
    As RadarOnline.com has reported, the 22-year-old was arrested after he allegedly shooting and killing nine victims attending a bible study at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
    Roof published a manifesto prior to the church shooting that detailed his hate for America and for racial and religious minorities. He also posted photos of himself desecrating the American flag, and proudly waving the Confederate flag as his personal banner.
    PHOTOS: El Chapo’s Sons Flaunt Lavish Lifestyle In Epic Instagram Battle With Mexican Cartel Members
    “I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country,” he wrote of his strategy in the manifesto. “We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.”
    Roof is currently in custody without bail, in a cell next to Michael Slager, a cop accused of shooting and killing an African American suspect in the back.
    Dylann Roof Charleston Shooter Death Penalty | Radar Online
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I had forgotten that asshole's name. I was happier that way.
    gas_chick likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Death penalty? I'm okay with that.
    Let me bring him his last meal...I'm Minnie from The Help.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post

I can't help but compare him to the young man behind him to the right. They look to be about the same age but have taken such very different paths in life.

and one of them has a crappy-ass bowl cut

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Bye Bye fucktard.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information