Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Natalee Holloway suspect Joran Van Der Sloot sought for murder in Peru

Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    wish they'd stop referring to him as handsome
    They did that with Scott Peterson too. Drove me nuts. No he's not handsome.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Default Joran van der Sloot Fears for His Life in Peruvian Prison

(He better say his prayers!)

Joran van der Sloot Fears for His Life in Peruvian Prison - Crime & Courts, Joran van der Sloot, Natalee Holloway : People.com

Joran van der Sloot has reportedly told Peruvian officials he wants to come clean about the location of the body of Alabama honor student Natalee Holloway, who went missing five years ago in Aruba.

The reason? He's afraid for his life inside the Peruvian prison where he's locked-up after being charged in the murder of business student Stephany Flores, 21.

"I don't want to be imprisoned in Peru," he told police, according to a local newspaper. "I am afraid I will be killed."

Van der Sloot, 22, is currently being held in isolation in the high-security Miguel Castro Castro prison in the San Juan de Lurigancho district of Lima while he awaits trial – and officials say he has requested security measures to guarantee his safety there, fearing other prisoners will take justice into their own hands.

"Convicts inside have committed serious crimes," criminal attorney Luis Lamas Puccio, who is not connected to the case, tells PEOPLE in Peru. "There is too much promiscuity, overcrowding and poor health conditions. I know Joran is isolated . . . This way he'll be safe not only from rape but also from being killed."

Inside 'Castro Castro'

The prison, which was built to hold 2,000 inmates, now houses about 2,300. But Leonardo Caparros, former director of the National Institute that oversees Peru's prison system, tells PEOPLE that van der Sloot is lucky to be assigned to Miguel Castro Castro prison because overcrowding isn't as horrendous there as it is in others in the South American country.

"Of course it's still a very tough jail because the people there – they all are well-known criminals," Caparros says. "You never send to Castro Castro a person who is going into a criminal situation for the first time. There is an exception, and that is murder."

Though van der Sloot is being kept separated from other prisoners, "isolation is relative because infrastructure is not ready and adapted to separate convicts," says Puccio, who also provided an example of how this isolation works: "They have to stay at the auditorium alone, and when that place has to be used, they are taken to a garden or an office. There isn't a proper isolation system like there is in the United States."

What Money Can Buy

If van der Sloot has access to outside money he might be able to buy himself protection from other inmates inside Castro Castro. "It's like a secret that everybody knows," Caparros says.

A U.S. Department of State report on conditions in Peru's prisons, released in March 2010, backs up Caparros's claim.

"Conditions were poor to extremely harsh in facilities for prisoners who lacked funds," the report states. "Overcrowding, poor sanitation, and inadequate nutrition and health care were serious problems. Inmates had intermittent access to running water, bathing facilities were inadequate, kitchen facilities were unhygienic, and prisoners slept in hallways and common areas for lack of cell space."

Whether or not van der Sloot has access to money, Caparros says, "I don't think that so many people will be able to sympathize with somebody who killed little girls. Criminals have codes, you know. . . . I guess many people in jail will not like that."

There's footage on youtube of him arriving at the jail Castro Castro and going to his tiny cell. I wouldn't want to spend an hour in there!

Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    wish they'd stop referring to him as handsome
    i know. i think he has the same beady eyes and village idiot face as josh duhamel - another one whose appeal i just don't get.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ Hey, now. Josh is kinda sexy. Joran looks like a dumbass. LOL.

"I don't want to be imprisoned in Peru," he told police, according to a local newspaper. "I am afraid I will be killed."

The irony is astounding.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i know. i think he has the same beady eyes and village idiot face as josh duhamel - another one whose appeal i just don't get.
    Yes!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Only if we're lucky. Tell us where Natalee is first, have whatever is left of her found - then he's fair game as far as I'm concerned.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Only if we're lucky..

fgg

Van der Sloot confession released

Lima, Peru (CNN) -- Joran van der Sloot said he elbowed murder victim Stephany Flores Ramirez in the face before strangling her and then suffocating her with his own shirt, according to transcripts of his confession.

The transcripts -- provided to CNN by an anonymous police source -- give shocking details of the murder van der Sloot is accused of and also give the public its first glimpse of why van der Sloot says the alleged murder took place. The source has not been named because he was not authorized to pass along the material.

"There was blood everywhere," van der Sloot said in the transcripts. "What am I going to do now. I had blood on my shirt. There was also blood on the bed, so, I took my shirt and put it on her face, pressing hard, until I killed Stephany."

Peruvian authorities charged van der Sloot with murder last week in the death of Flores, a 21-year-old student. Van der Sloot, a 22-year-old Dutch citizen, has also been considered the main suspect in the well-publicized 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba.

Van der Sloot told authorities he attacked Flores on May 30 after she read an e-mail on his computer connected with the Holloway case.

In the transcript, van der Sloot said that after Flores read the e-mail, she punched him in the face.

"At that moment impulsively, with my right elbow I hit her in the face exactly on top of the nose," van der Sloot said. "I think she started to faint. It affected me so that I grabbed her from the neck and strangled her for a minute."

Van der Sloot said he had a quick thought that he might try to hide the body but instead fled.

He was arrested in Chile on June 3 and was returned the next day to Peru. Along with killing Flores, who had a broken neck, he took money and bank cards from her wallet, police said.

Van der Sloot told police in Chile a different story of how Flores died when he was arrested there, according to transcripts. He blamed the death on robbers who had waited for him at his hotel in Peru.

"There was a man coming from the access door with a knife in his hand," van der Sloot said. "The man with the knife hit her in the face, making her bleed through the nose."

But Peru authorities said they had overwhelming evidence pointing to van der Sloot, and when he was transferred to Peru, van der Sloot confessed to the crime, police said.

Van der Sloot said he was in Peru for a poker tournament and had met Flores while he was gambling.

Police have said they think van der Sloot killed Flores to steal money she won from gambling.

Van der Sloot offered a different motive.

"After I responded with hitting her, I feared that she would go to the police and they would detain me for what was an impulsive act," van der Sloot said. "I think I wanted to kill her because I wasn't thinking."

Van der Sloot's lawyer, Maximo Alonso Altez Navarro, has said he plans to ask the judge in the case to strike down van der Sloot's confession because he was not properly represented when he was interrogated.

Peruvian police have defended the interrogation and said van der Sloot's confession was acquired legally.

Get him to confess and tell where Natalee is, find her remains, and then kill him with fire. slllloooowwwllllyy. Fucking soulless bastard sociopath.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

"I think I wanted to kill her because I wasn't thinking."
    When was the last time you did, boy?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Totally impulsive act?
    My impulses make me eat chocolate. Oh dang, I'm a chocolate killer.

The guy has displayed violent behaviour long before this and his parents knew it. I bet anything...
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

It affected me so that I grabbed her from the neck and strangled her for a minute."

WTH

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    It affected me so that I grabbed her from the neck and strangled her for a minute."

WTH
    He sounds like a classic sociopath. Scary stuff. I hope he dies a horrible death himself.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Default Peru's celebrity inmate chooses isolated cell

Peru's celebrity inmate chooses isolated cell - Yahoo! News

LIMA, Peru – A prison compound on the dusty outskirts of Peru's capital is home to hundreds of convicts from Peru's leftist insurgency of the 1980s and 90s. It holds more than 80 foreign inmates, mostly Colombians and Mexicans there for drug-related crimes. And then there is Joran van der Sloot.

The 22-year-old Dutch murder suspect in the May 30 killing of 21-year-old Lima student Stephany Flores is passing the time watching television and exercising in a secluded section of the Miguel Castro Castro prison.

The Rev. Hector Allende, a former bank robber turned evangelical who ministers to the prison population, says other inmates are intrigued by the celebrity defendant in their midst.

But almost none can catch a glimpse of Van del Sloot, the lone suspect in the disappearance five years ago in Aruba of U.S. teen Natalee Holloway.

Van der Sloot doesn't mix with the regular population at the high-security lockup, a giant octagonal compound in the desert that holds 1,500 inmates.

The Dutchman has a cell of his own adjoining that of a reputed Colombian hit man in a nearly empty block.

The prison-mates share a TV set — the Colombian's property — and barbells fashioned from a broomstick and water-filled plastic bottles.

On Monday, a judge is scheduled to begin questioning Van der Sloot in private about the slaying of Flores, the daughter of a circus impresario and former race car driver.

He could serve between 15 and 35 years in prison if convicted of first-degree murder in the beating and strangling of Flores, which occurred at his Lima hotel room.

Peruvian prisons director Ruben Rodriguez told The Associated Press there is no way other inmates can get near Van der Sloot.

His 2-by-3.5 meter (6-by-11 foot) cell faces the warden's office.

"He told me he feared for his life," Rodriguez said. "If he asks to go elsewhere with the rest, he'll go with the rest."

Rodriguez says Van der Sloot has not received phone calls from relatives, though a Dutch Embassy official came.

As for food, Van de Sloot gets the same basic meals as every other inmate, Rodriguez said. The day of his arrival, "seco de pollo" — a traditional Peruvian chicken and cilantro dish — was served.

Prisoners at Castro Castro are segregated by the severity of their crimes, and convicts live with those awaiting trial.

Criminologist Jose Luis Perez said inmates are restricted to their buildings and may not freely circulate, unlike at many other Peruvian prisons.

The prison is relatively peaceful and mafia-free, he said.

The prison's previous director, however, was gunned down outside his home in November in a crime police say may have been revenge for discipline he'd exacted on some inmates.

Three inmates died here in a 2008 brawl.

And the prison was the site of 1992 massacre of inmates when the government attempted to transfer a group of convicted Shining Path rebels to another prison. According to a 2003 report by a truth commission on Peru's brutal conflict, 42 inmates were killed by state agents.

Ricardo La Serna, a Roman Catholic human rights activist who works in prisons, said the Miguel Castro Castro prison of today is a more peaceful place, with some 30 inmates involved in distance learning.

"Some are studying law, others accounting, others administration," he said.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information