Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mother Jailed For Sonís School Attendance Problems

One of my issues with this story is the anger (not necessarily on here, but in general) that people have over her being punished for not sending her child to school. We, as a society, complain about the school system, we complain about how education is also the responsibility of the parent and when the parent isn't doing her part, we expect the school and other members of society to speak up. The school system did speak up in this case and now they are being told that they overstepped their boundaries? We can't have it both ways. We can't say out of one side of our mouths that the parent should be help accountable and then complain when it happens out of the other side of our mouths. She got what she deserved by the school...she was called on the carpet for failing to provide documentation related to her childs repeated unexcused absences. They did their job. The job we all expect them to do. It was once again the parent in this case who thumbed her nose to the school and court system and she got what she deserved in the end. All she had to do during any of the beginning phase of this drama was provide documention to the school. And, in my opinion, you don't take your kids out of school for 9 days to go on vacation during the school year. You just don't. It's bad parenting. It's poor planning for everyone involved and your child will suffer educationally because of it. And, while I am on my soapbox here, what has this child learned from his mother? He has learned that even when you are caught red handed by the authorities for defying the rules of the court, that you don't need to accept personal responsibility for your actions. He learned from his mother that it's ok to make excuses for your behavior. He learned that you can disregard the Courts of our land and be a renegade and do what you want. She has now done an even larger disservice to her child...she took him out of school so he missed critical learning goals and then she taught him to f*** the system in the process. Mother of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    They wanted me to provide an obit to prove it,
    That's dumb in itself. Anyone can put an ad in the paper saying someone died. The paper doesn't require proof do they? And not every family advertises when someone dies either.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    "My husband said that was ridiculous.
    It was. It's an incredible waste of court resources.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^ @ str8 - I've never liked the idea of parents taking their kids out of school to go on holiday either. Good post btw.

^^ *Applause*

From the article linked by Mohandas:

Heiser, whose two sons were then in kindergarten and first grade at Rumbaugh Elementary School in the Mt. Pleasant Area School District, said she called to let the school know her boys would be absent while the family visited relatives in New York. A secretary told her she had to request advance permission from the principal, or else the absences would count as "unexcused."

"I said, 'Why should I have to do that?'" Heiser remembered. "These are my children. I'm their mother!"

With plans already made, Heiser said, the family left without the principal's permission.
    So it really wasn't just a matter of not writing a note, she knew she didn't have school permission and took them out anyway. So screw her.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

We already wasting educational resources for people who can't be bothered to track their kids' school absences. Might as well waste some court resources, too.

If you're told to show up in court, you show up or there's a warrant for your ass.

I have a feeling the school could add a lot more to this story. That said, I agree that 9 days doesn't seem like enough to warrant the whole thing to begin with.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    From my reading of the story, she wasn't in jail for her son missing school as much as 1) not show up for multiple court appearances, and 2) failing to make payments the court ordered her to make.
    Ummmm....this.

It's not because she forgot to write out notes or go on vacation. She missed court appearances and didn't pay her fine.

Talk about passing the buck.

A*O

9 days in a year doesn't seem excessive to me but she didn't get locked up "just for taking her kids on vacation". She went to jail because she was being bloody minded about the fine and non-appearance. She's playing the victim but she could have avoided it very easily by writing a damn note. As usual we are only hearing her side of the story. I bet there's more.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Not necessarily though. Some school boards are just filled with assholes.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I don't believe the school is at fault. This lady comes across as an asshole even in her own story.

I have no sympathy for this bitch as she's full of excuses and consequently her kids are probably massive brats as well if that's the example she's setting for them.

That's dumb in itself. Anyone can put an ad in the paper saying someone died. The paper doesn't require proof do they? And not every family advertises when someone dies either.
    This wasn't an emergency like the kid was sick or there was a family death though, like the other posters are talking about. She took the kid out of school for a family vacation. And according to her, the secretary said she needed to give prior advance notice for an absence like that or else it would be unexcused. And the mom didn't want to bother with that. Then she didn't want to bother explaining the absence afterward. Then she didn't want to bother showing up to a hearing. Then, after finally showing up to a hearing they bent over backwards to let her pay the fine in payments, and she still didn't bother to pay it.

I fail to see how the school system was wrong at any point in this case. Requiring advance notice if you're taking a kid out of school for a planned, non-essential reason like a family vacation during the school year is perfectly reasonable. I'm sure this woman was given the rules multiple times on her kids' school stuff and just didn't care. "Forgetting" to write a note or give the principal notice is no excuse. It was also perfectly reasonable that, after the parents' failure to comply with the school rules and truancy laws, they make her come in and explain the situation but she blew THEM off multiple times. Then they still gave her just a small fine - that she could pay in installments - and she still blew them off and didn't pay it. She wasn't in jail for her kid missing school, she was in jail for ignoring a court order.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

she was in jail for not paying their fine. it will always come down to money. she was ordered to pay a $200.00 fine, she didn't pay, she went to jail.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information