Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Miami 'zombie' attacker may have been using 'bath salts'

It sounds like Eugene was a violent piece of shit his whole life who was surrounded by people who enabled his awful behavior.

I would like to think that the victim's daughter will take care of him but it is more likely that he will go back to being homeless again.

Causeway attacker had no human flesh in stomach - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Posted on Fri, Jun. 08, 2012

Causeway attacker had no human flesh in stomach

The world is calling Rudy Eugene, who chewed off a homeless man’s face, a cannibal — but an autopsy shows there was no human flesh in his stomach.
    The post-death examination did reveal a number of undigested pills in his stomach, but investigators have not identified them yet, a law-enforcement source told The Miami Herald.

A Miami police officer shot and killed Eugene, 31, on May 26 as he attacked a homeless man in broad daylight off the MacArthur Causeway, tearing off his face with his teeth. By the time police arrived, most of the victim’s face was gone. Police found pieces of torn skin on the concrete sidewalk where the attack occurred.

Fueled by the Internet and widespread interest in the macabre case, some media reports have dubbed Eugene the “Causeway Cannibal” and the “Miami Zombie.”

The chatter even led the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to issue a statement last week denying the existence of a zombie virus, and Los Angeles celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred to hold a much-panned press conference in Miami decrying the ills of cannibalism.

Eugene’s autopsy records have not been released to the public, and will likely not become available until Miami-Dade prosecutors finish their review of the shooting. That could take more than a year.

A preliminary review found the presence of marijuana in Eugene’s system, a law enforcement source said, which was no surprise because Eugene’s family and friends widely reported that he was fond of smoking pot.

But marijuana doesn’t usually spark violent attacks. Whether the pills found in his stomach played a role in Eugene’s outburst of violence is unknown. Toxicology tests will take weeks to complete.

Investigators assume some type of drug fueled Eugene’s bizarre behavior, but they have no indication that he may have used “bath salts,” a synthetic stimulant that in some cases can lead to psychotic episodes, paranoia and violence. Miami’s police union has speculated that Eugene might have been acting under the influence of bath salts.

Detectives are still trying to piece together Eugene’s final hours. He was last reported parking his car in South Beach, where partiers from across the nation had gathered for Urban Beach week, about four hours before the attack.

But his whereabouts in that four-hour gap are unknown. Shortly before Eugene pounced on Ronald Poppo, a motorist called 911 to report a man on the causeway shedding his clothes and swinging from a light pole.

The autopsy finding that Eugene had no human flesh in his stomach jibes with the crime-scene investigation, which found chunks of Poppo’s flesh on the ground, as if they had been spit out. The autopsy also revealed human flesh lodged between the teeth of Eugene, who did not have his two top front teeth, the law enforcement source said. Eugene is known to have lost his two front teeth in an accident as a child.

Police found a set of gold teeth in the pockets of his pants discarded on the causeway.

Poppo is recovering at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where a source told The Herald he has already undergone some skin grafts to help repair his mangled face. Photos of his face after the attack made their way to the Internet, fueling public curiosity in the case.

The torn-off skin from Poppo’s face, dead tissue that lay on the concrete sidewalk under the hot sun after the attack, could not be used to help reconstruct his face, the source said.

So far, Poppo has so far been unable to tell Miami detectives what happened.

The crime scene probe also found torn up pieces of a Bible — Eugene was religious and read the Bible regularly, his family and friends have said — scattered along the MacArthur Causeway. Detectives also impounded Eugene’s Chevrolet sedan, which had been towed from South Beach, and discovered several water bottles and a Quran.

2012 Miami Herald Media Company. All Rights Reserved.
    MiamiHerald.com - Miami & Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Miami Dolphins & More

Read more here: Causeway attacker had no human flesh in stomach - 06/08/2012 | MiamiHerald.com

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    He's been homeless for 30 years, doesn't sound like he has any family that cares. Numerous arrests on his record. Who covers the bill for all of the surgeries? He has to get through the crucial stages where infection could easily take his life. Curious to see how this goes.
    since we don't have have nationalzied healthcare, the hospitals and doctors will eat the costs, then pass it onto the insurance companies and essentially, you. So you're paying for it. Merry Christmas.
    Seapharris7 and hustle4alivin like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Considering the initial reports and photos, I think he is progressing really well. I think, but am not sure, that he may be able to see out of one of his eyes:

New Ronald Poppo Photos Released; Doctors Say Face-Chewing Victim 'Doing Well' (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)

New Ronald Poppo Photos Released; Doctors Say Face-Chewing Victim 'Doing Well' (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)

Doctors say the homeless Miami man whose face was mostly chewed off by a naked assailant is awake and alert and doing "well", but in need of more surgery.
    Jackson Memorial Hospital released two photos of 65-year-old Ronald Poppo with his permission on Tuesday afternoon, one showing him walking down a corridor assisted on either side by a hospital worker.
    The other gives a recent look at Poppo's horrific injuries, roughly 3 and a half weeks after the shocking assault on Miami's MacArthur causeway: one of his eyes is covered by gauze, the other, gouged out in the attack, covered by skin. Poppo's nose is missing, and his forehead is a mass of scabs.
    (Scroll down for GRAPHIC photos.)
    The lower half of Poppo's face, including a mustache, appears intact. Doctors said approximately 50 percent of his face was missing, and that the "charming" Poppo both remembers the attack and understands that he is in hospital.
    "We have mental health professionals to help him with the coping, and he's coping remarkably well," said plastic surgeon Dr. Wrood Kassira, who along with JMH/University of Miami trauma physician Dr. Nicholas Namias is part of Poppo's medical team.
    Kassira said Poppo has undergone three surgeries already and is currently fighting an infection.
    "He will need multiple surgeries in the future for reconstruction," the doctor said, adding that Poppo, who cannot currently see, has also suffered a brain injury and was admitted with strange puncture wounds on his chest: "The guy has got to be a survivor."
    Poppo, who is believed to have been homeless in Miami since the mid-to-late 1970s, is covered by Medicare and Medicaid, according to the Miami Herald.
    He reportedly had a message to give to the public when doctors visited with him this morning:

@jhsmiami
    JacksonHealthSystemDr. Namias says he visited Mr. Poppo this morning and he had a message for everyone: "Go Heat!"
    June 12, 2012 5:08 pm via Twitter for iPhoneReplyRetweetFavorite

Poppo was lazing on the MacArthur Causeway's westbound Biscayne Boulevard exit ramp sidewalk May 26 when attacked in broad daylight by naked 31-year-old North Miami resident Rudy Eugene, who was caught on surveillance camera trying to strip off Poppo's clothes before brutalizing his face.
    A police officer responding to multiple 911 calls from drivers and cyclists shot and killed Eugene when he reportedly ignored orders to stop chewing Poppo's face. An autopsy reportedly discovered Poppo's flesh in the so called "Miami Cannibal"'s mouth, but not in his stomach. Police have speculated that Eugene may have been under the influence of a synthetic drug, but a full toxicology report is still pending.
    THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY.

HOW YOU CAN HELP: The Jackson Memorial Foundation has set up a fund to assist Ronald Poppo in his recovery, which experts in facial reconstruction have said will include lengthy treatment, staged reconstruction, and psychological care. Donations can be made by check or online at jmf.org.

Well he looks alot better than I thought he would thank God.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Poor guy. My first thought was the blind monster from Pan's Labyrinth. I hope they can do more than that for his face.

nancydrew likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hope the poor guy is on the best pain-killers tax-payers' money can buy.

And to hell with the attacker's family; the bastard had a history of violence and drug use. To claim that the cop "didn't have to shoot him" is such bullshit - you can't trust a taser to drop someone having a psychotic delusion.
    Lenny and holly like this.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

I think it's a blessing for him that he can't see his face right now. I hope he regains at least some vision in the remaining eye, but for now, I think not being able to see his face may actually be beneficial to him psychologically. (JMO, of course)
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Considering the initial reports and photos, I think he is progressing really well. I think, but am not sure, that he may be able to see out of one of his eyes:
    so it's a good thing they didn't just let him die?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

^ I can see where Mohandas was coming from. Even now his recovery is questionable. It really scares me thinking he'll probably go back to being homeless & a drunk again... only blind. It's his way of life - it's what he's used too, I'm sure all the media coverage is making him uncomfortable considering this is a man who seemed to form no real lasting bonds with any other people (family included).

I usually think most homeless have either an addiction or mental disorder, possibly both. After being through all this I cant really see him changing. He might feel blessed to have survived & value life more, or he might been 100x worse off then before & decide to drink himself to death or revert further into seclusion.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Is Mohandas in bold like Faithanne in italics?
    dexter7 likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I suggest we put twitchy2.0 in pretty rainbow colors, just to mix things up.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Is Mohandas in bold like Faithanne in italics?

I must have missed something... is it offensive?
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

No, just curious. There was a now banned poster who italicized Faithanne and I wondered if you were making a play on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    I suggest we put twitchy2.0 in pretty rainbow colors, just to mix things up.
    Ooh! Purty!
    Seapharris7 likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    No, just curious. There was a now banned poster who italicized Faithanne and I wondered if you were making a play on that.

Ooh! Purty!

Would you like some Fentanyl with that?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information