Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Massive Search for Kyron Horman, 7, Who Disappeared from School

I agree the police know a lot more than we know. They have never declared it an abduction. Something here stinks very badly.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

It may not have been declared an abduction because there wasn't enough information to say that it was rather than they were holding back.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    When my kids were of that age, parents were expected to call in if a student was to be absent that day. When morning attendance was done, if parents had failed to call, they'd call home to make sure parents were aware that the child was absent.

I wonder why this school didn't use that system. They'd have been hours ahead in finding him and the first hours are critical.

Here they do that all the way up through middle school.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    When my kids were of that age, parents were expected to call in if a student was to be absent that day. When morning attendance was done, if parents had failed to call, they'd call home to make sure parents were aware that the child was absent.

I wonder why this school didn't use that system. They'd have been hours ahead in finding him and the first hours are critical.

Same here in Iowa schools. I have forgotten to call some mornings when the girls might have a dentist or doctor appointment, and the school will track you down. They always check by calling my home, office and/or cell phone to locate me, and find out where my girls are that day. School starts at 8:30 a.m., and by 9:00 they are on the phone getting answers. I am so glad they do that. It allows less time lost knowing where a child is,....if a situation like this comes up.

My son is in HS, and they still do it here.

My sister needed it, her son was ornery, and skipped school often, she would get the call, and track him down.

All schools need to do this.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I've never had a school do any of that, in any country I've lived in with kids.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Ours always have called-even way back 25 years ago.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Its sometimes annoying though. When my 14yo broke his collarbone back in April, I told them I was going to keep him home for a few days, yet they called me the next day saying I had to call in EVERY day he would be out or they would call me, which I thought was pushing it a bit.

I mean, if they have a real injury like that or something like the flu, i don't see what's wrong with calling it in on the first day and saying they'll be out for several days. Its kind of common freaking sense.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Ours always have called-even way back 25 years ago.
    Same here, even when I was a kid. The school system has always called when a student does not show up for school, in any grade, K-12th grade. If they can't reach a parent or guardian of the child, then they send out a truant officer, and notify authorities.

They don't do it in my daughter's school system, as far as I know.

They never did that at any school I went to either. At senior school it would have taken them all day to phone up every truant kid lol.

I guess it depends on the size of the school, or policies they choose to enforce. We have a high school that has about 1,500 kids in 9th-12th grade, and almost a 96% graduation rate. Most kids in this area do go to school daily. So I guess when a few are not accounted for, it gets noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I guess it depends on the size of the school, or policies they choose to enforce. We have a high school that has about 1,500 kids in 9th-12th grade, and almost a 96% graduation rate. Most kids in this area do go to school daily. So I guess when a few are not accounted for, it gets noticed.
    The public schools out here are some of the top-scoring schools in the country. When my wife and I asked what we needed to do when our daughter missed school -- fill out a form so they could go back in -- the office secretary basically said that they are mainly looking for kids who are out days at a time without some kind of excuse. However, the parents out here are so hands on and motivated, I think the school really doesn't have to do much monitoring at all, except for a few kids. In this case of this 7-year-old, though, that kind of a kid would fall through the cracks here, I guess.

fgg

Authorities Suspend Search for 7-Year-Old Oregon Boy

By Eunice Oh
    Monday June 14, 2010 01:15 PM EDT

The search for Kyron Horman, the second grader who disappeared from school on June 4, has ended as investigators turn their attention from a missing persons case to a criminal investigation.

"We will be continuing this investigation. It is not going to stop, and I am not going to cease in dedicating resources to locating Kyron," says Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton, who adds that the boy's family understands the change.

Although some local search and rescue crews will remain on call to follow up on any tips, most "will be going home," said sheriff's Capt. Monte Reiser.

Authorities said scaling back the search was a "natural progression" since searchers had already combed through the immediate area and "every location of interest."

Officials are now also offering a $25,000 reward for information that helps locate the 7-year-old. Kyron was last seen walking to his classroom after he attended a science fair at Skyline Elementary in Portland, Ore., with his stepmother.

The search for the boy intensified last week with hundreds of searchers scouring the grounds near his school and conducting door-to-door checks. The FBI, who interviewed 200 of Kyron's classmates and their parents, was also brought in to help with the investigation.

On Friday, Kyron's family spoke publicly for the first time, asking the public to "please help us bring Kyron home."

I wonder if they suspect the step-Mom or any family members?

Schools seem to do different things, in different areas. Here, anytime a student misses, you have to have an excuse to get them back in school. No excuse, and it is an unexcused absence. After 3 unexcused absences, you get to have a meeting with the principal, the superintendant of the schools, the truant officer, the county attorney and a DHS worker. So needles to say,.....my girls do not miss any school except for doctor appointments or family emergencies. lol

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information