Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Massive Search for Kyron Horman, 7, Who Disappeared from School

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Here's an article outlining the family dynamics:

The dark-haired and redheaded women standing side by side at a news conference in the Kyron Horman investigation share a longtime bond with the 7-year-old boy gone missing. With a nation looking on, they shared their grief under the glare of television.

The mother, Desiree Young, 38, and stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, 40, were friends long before the beaming and bespectacled 7-year-old went missing from Skyline School in northwest Multnomah County. Since his June 4 disappearance, his blended family has hunkered down out of public view, emerging only as a group. Neither mother has spoken publicly, and the dads have read only prepared statements.

But details of their relationship have emerged in multiple interviews by The Oregonian with friends and family.

Terri was the last known person to see Kyron after she took him to school that day, and she was the first to report him missing when she discovered he wasn't on the school bus that afternoon. That day followed years of caring for him. When Kyron was a toddler, Desiree went to Canada to seek treatment for a serious medical condition. Her friend Terri became Kyron's caretaker.

» Timeline
    » Stories
    » Photos
    » Videos
    The story dates to 2000, when Desiree married Kaine Horman. The couple's relationship quickly soured, however, and they planned to separate, but then Desiree got pregnant. So, they gave it another shot. But in August 2002, when Desiree was eight months pregnant, she filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences.

Kyron was born Sept. 9, 2002, and Kaine and Desiree were officially divorced in 2003. Kaine and Desiree shared custody, but Kyron mostly lived with Desiree until 2004, when she went to Canada after suffering kidney failure.

Kyron moved in full time with his dad, now 36, an engineer at Intel. With a demanding job at the company's Jones Farm campus in Hillsboro, where he works in the architecture group, Kaine needed child care. So, Desiree's friend Terri moved in to help.

"Someone had to watch the baby," said Amanda Howards, the former wife of Kaine's brother Kristian. "Terri was her friend. She moved in just to help with the baby."

Terri brought her son, James, now 16, from her first marriage.

Two months after leaving for Canada, Desiree returned to the United States with $30,000 in medical bills. To get back on her feet, she moved in with her family in Medford, who helped support her.

Desiree never tried to regain custody of Kyron, though she has maintained a close relationship with her son, caring for him every weekend or so with her new husband, Medford police Detective Tony Young.

After Desiree returned to Oregon, Terri and Kaine stayed under the same roof while he worked at Intel and she cared for the kids. What started as a caregiving relationship blossomed.

In April 2007, they got married. Looking buff in their bathing suits, they said their vows in a small ceremony on a shimmering beach in Kauai, the Garden Isle of Hawaii.

Terri's wide smile and glimmering eyes shine with happiness in a photo posted on her Facebook page.

On Mother's Day that year, Kaine gave his new bride a 2007 candy apple red Ford Mustang GT.

"Something shiny for the driveway," she wrote under the picture on her Facebook page. "Yes, Kaine is all that and a bag of chips!"

She adorned it with her vanity license plate RDSQRL, which is short for Red Squirrel, a nickname that reflects her long, thick mane of red hair.

More than a year after they were married, on Dec. 8, 2008, Kaine and Terri had a baby girl, Kiara.

Her name reflects a family tradition of Kaine's biological father, Kurtis Mengel, who has a twin sister, Kari Mengel Hoagland. Mengel and his wife, Kristi, named their sons Kaine and Kristian, now 32.

According to friends and family, the Hormans are a tight-knit, loving family that enjoys doing things together.

They play board games, go bowling with friends and take trips. In 2009, they visited Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla. Late last year they went to the Roloff Farm in Helvetia where the reality TV show "Little People, Big World" is filmed. And recently, they peered at the animals at the Oregon Zoo.

Terri volunteered at Skyline School, where Kyron was in second grade, and she took him to swimming lessons with James and with Kiara.

"They're very nice people," said Adam Farber, who runs a swimming school and taught Kyron to swim and worked on strokes with James. Farber had no idea until he went missing that Kyron was Terri's stepchild. "They all fit in really well."

Marriage, parenthood

Terri was born March 14, 1970 and grew up in Roseburg, the daughter of two teachers, Carol and Larry Moulton. She graduated from Roseburg High School in 1988 and went to Umpqua Community College, where she met her first husband, Ron Tarver. They married in 1991 in Roseburg.

Their son, James Logan, was born Jan. 26, 1994.

The couple divorced in 1995 but tangled in court in 1999 over Tarver's failure to pay child support.

Court documents indicate that he did not pay child support between 1996 and 1998.

By that time, though, she had moved on. In 1996, she married Richard Ecker in Springfield. He adopted James two years later. Ecker, who now lives in the Portland area, continues to pay more than $500 in monthly child support for James, though he's not seen him in six or seven years.

"He's still my legal son," Ecker said.

During their marriage, Terri earned a bachelor's degree from Northwest Christian University in Eugene in 2000, according to her Facebook page.

The couple relocated to Beaverton in 2001 and separated that year, and their divorce became final in 2002.

Terri looked for work.

Between March 2001 and June 2002, she was a substitute teacher in the Hillsboro School District. According to spokesman Beth Graser, Terri held long-term jobs at Eastwood, Mooberry and Lenox elementaries.

After moving in with Kaine, Terri went onto the on-call substitute teachers list between 2003 and 2006. Graser said Terri held no more long-term jobs with the district.

"She stopped teaching and subbing so she could be with Kyron during his preschool and toddler years," said Jaymie Finster, a friend from junior high school who worked with Terri in the school district.

But Terri did hit the books. In about 2004, she earned a master's in education from Pacific University in Forest Grove.

On her Facebook page, she says her dream job would be superintendent of a school district.

She also loves playing video games such as "World of Warcraft" and is an exercise buff, regularly going to the gym. In 2005 she placed fourth in the over-35 category for women in the Emerald Cup of bodybuilding.

That same year, she was snagged on Interstate 5 in Marion County for drunken driving. James, who was 11, was in the car. With a blood-alcohol level of 0.15 percent, she was charged with DUII and reckless child endangerment. Terri pleaded guilty and took a diversion course.

She has had no other violations.

Family and friends say she is a focused mom.

"She's a pretty attentive mom," said Tarver, her first husband.

Her second spouse, Richard Ecker, has kind words to say about her as well: "She was always a gifted teacher. She did as much for the school and the kids as she could."

He couldn't imagine his ex-wife doing anything to harm a child.

"She would never hurt a child," he said. "She's not wired that way."

Focus on the kids

Terri was thrilled when Kiara was born in December 2008. Tarver said she had always wanted a girl. Terri's enthusiasm spilled onto her Facebook page, which has dozens of photos of the cherub-faced carrot-topped girl with blue eyes. She also flooded Tarver and other acquaintances with photos and e-mail updates of the baby's progress.

He thought that was unusual because he wasn't close to her family.

Mainly, their relationship has consisted of exchanging kids. Once a month, they would converge at Shari's Restaurant in Springfield and do a swap, with James staying with Tarver and his new wife, and Kyron going with Desiree and her husband.

They no longer do that swap with Tarver. Since March, James has lived in Roseburg, first with his grandparents and now with Tarver.

It's not clear why he was sent away.

But the parents' relationships have been cordial, said Terri's mom, Carol Moulton.

She's been in Portland, trying to comfort Terri and Kaine. "It's a tough deal," said Larry Moulton, Terri's father, who's still in Roseburg. "There's a lot of grilling. There's a lot of pressure."

Kaine's adoptive dad, R. Neil Horman, says Kyron's disappearance has been a strain on the parents.

"The loss of a child like this is devastating," he said.Kyron Horman's blended family: Friends describe a close, supportive group | OregonLive.com
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

That same year, she was snagged on Interstate 5 in Marion County for drunken driving. James, who was 11, was in the car. With a blood-alcohol level of 0.15 percent, she was charged with DUII and reckless child endangerment. Terri pleaded guilty and took a diversion course.

I don't care how many people vouch for her character. Good mothers don't drive drunk with their kids in the car. This makes me dislike her even more.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

dear god str8_uncut-jock, this is why i believe in the death penatly
    sorry to sound so grim, but that shit makes me sick. killing or preying on a child? it just doesn't compute with me

Bronze Member

The stepdad and the biomom genuinely give a shit about the fate of the child. Stepmom seems needy, clingy and desperate for approval. The father seems cold, distant and uncaring. The father's brother is a child molester.

Even more than the step mom, something is off with the father. There's something very coldly efficient about the guy. His kid is gone and he hits the gym like nothing happened.

His wife takes ALL the heat because she was the last person to see the kid. And all her other weird behavior of course. He just flies under the radar. He never looked at his son's mother, his ex, even once at the press conference.

What an odd group of people he has around him.

His wife- well there's tons of weird stuff she's done after his kid vanished.

His brother- the child molester

His son- vanished

His ex-wife: separated soon after his kid was born and leaves his infant son with him when she goes off to canada

his father: the guy who insists that everyone in the family have funny names that start with K

His step dad: writes weird books called Terri That Red Squirrel on a website with a pic of him that looks weird and creepy because you can't see the stepdad's face, just a dark silhouette. His step dad also writes murder mysteries.

Someone mentioned that Kristian Horman molested his own daughter. If this is true, then it's extraordinarily dsturbing. Incest is usually not just a one time occurrence in families. Just one incidence of incest like this is more often than not by far the tip of the iceberg.

The dad reminds me of another cold guy: Andrea Yates' husband.

The only question for me is why anyone would stoop so low as to hurt an innocent child, if you dislike the kid or see him as some sort of obstacle, when the child's biological mother is around. why not just insist that the bio-mom take custody of the kid and hand him to her?

Quote Originally Posted by Elyse View Post
    The only question for me is why anyone would stoop so low as to hurt an innocent child, if you dislike the kid or see him as some sort of obstacle, when the child's biological mother is around. why not just insist that the bio-mom take custody of the kid and hand him to her?
    Well, what if a kid had seen or had things done to him that no child should ever experience? He could tell all to mum. I just want to say I don't think this is what happened here but I'm trying to think of an example as to why someone might do that.

[...snipped]
    Even more than the step mom, something is off with the father. There's something very coldly efficient about the guy. His kid is gone and he hits the gym like nothing happened.

His wife takes ALL the heat because she was the last person to see the kid. And all her other weird behavior of course. He just flies under the radar. He never looked at his son's mother, his ex, even once at the press conference.

What an odd group of people he has around him.

His wife- well there's tons of weird stuff she's done after his kid vanished.

His brother- the child molester

His son- vanished

His ex-wife: separated soon after his kid was born and leaves his infant son with him when she goes off to canada

his father: the guy who insists that everyone in the family have funny names that start with K

His step dad: writes weird books called Terri That Red Squirrel on a website with a pic of him that looks weird and creepy because you can't see the stepdad's face, just a dark silhouette. His step dad also writes murder mysteries.

[....snipped again]
    Had to cut out some of this - but the bio-mom went to Canada for treatment because of her kidneys failing. She had to leave her son with his father. Remember, he does work for a company that pays him quite well. She cited irreconcible differences in the divorce that she filed (we can only speculate what that really was). Personally, I find it very odd that Terri moved in very shortly after and then married Kaine. I don't buy that they were all friendly peachy keen, but that's just my opinion...

Have to add this latest news -

Close friend of Hormans condemns Internet rumors | kgw.com | KGW News | Portland, Oregon

Close friend of Hormans condemns Internet rumors

by Randy Neves

kgw.com

Posted on June 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Updated today at 7:32 PM

HILLSBORO, Ore. -- The extra scrutiny on Terri Horman is taking an emotional toll, according to a close friend.
    "I want people to know that she's a good person she's a devoted mother," said Jaymie Finster. "She's been in Kyron's life since he was 3-day-old."
    Finster has been a close friend of Horman's since the two attended junior high school together in Roseburg.

She says the quality of attention Horman is getting from the disappearance of her stepson, Kyron, is unfair and damaging.
    "I think a lot of people just want to go with the information that we don't have and try to make something of it and that's very hurtful and hard for me to see happening."
    With Horman's blessing, Finster is telling the public how emotionally harmful the Internet remarks have been; such as the person who comments "it seems like a slam dunk that the stepmother is ... guilty."
    Some comments on-line include the speculation that Horman is suffering from a "postpartum breakdown."
    "I would really like to see the Internet blogging be decreased," said Finster.
    She says there's much yet to learn in the investigation.
    To imply that a second lie-detector test on Horman is a sign of guilt is unfair to a woman who played such an important role raising the missing seven-year-old.
    Finster hopes the public doesn't overreact in its need for answers in this case.
    "Just to take some little bits of information and then fly with it is really hurtful and, you know, it's been really hard for her to see that happening."
    Finster says she hadn't spoken with Horman Sunday.
    So she's not sure how that second polygraph test went for her.

--------------------------------------------------
    I cannot believe that Terri is so concerned about what others are saying about her. How about - "Please help us find Kyron" instead? This woman is pissing me off to no end. The local press has not said an unkind word about her (and instead prints fluff pieces, and shows her as this loving step-mom). So I think she is so busy floating about online, reading stories about her and having her 'friend' submit responses. It's all about her, and how it makes her feel. HOW ABOUT THE KID THAT MISSING? HOW DOES HE FEEL? I'm sorry, but just watching her and learning more and more about her makes me think she is a con. I don't know about the dad. I think his reactions are strange in that he seems resigned. I feel horrible for Desiree - she got caught up in a crappy health situation, keeping Kryon with his father and thinking that it was for the child's best interest. And she isn't sure how the second polygraph test went? If Terri tells the truth, then why would she worry?

TERRI - stay off the internet and stop worrying about yourself. Worry about that little boy who you were confirmed to be the last person anyone saw him with.

After going onto some message boards, this is what people are speculating:

Terri (stepmum) left the school a few minutes ahead of Kyron, and Kyron (as he'd been instructed to do) joined Terri in her car a few minutes later.

Terri believes no one saw them leave the premises together, but Terri is wrong: at least one credible witness is certain he or she saw Terri driving away with Kyron that morning.

Within a few hours of interviewing the teachers at the school, police knew that Terri had attempted to set up the teachers as having failed to report Kyron missing. However, at least one teacher made a sincere and credible case that Terri had told her to expect that Kyron might not be at school. (If Terri did indeed submit paperwork about Kyron being absent for the following Friday, and even perhaps made an actual appointment for the following Friday, police recognized the ruse.)

The Skyline School community believes Terri, not a stranger, spirited Kyron away from the school. This is why relatively few Skyline parents kept their kids home from school the Monday after Kyron's disappearance.

The questionnaire police just distributed is 10% about jogging peoples' memories about the morning Kyron disappeared and 90% about putting pressure on Terri to tell police what she knows.

Police will arrest Terri when they find Kyron's body OR when Terri gets a lawyer, whichever comes first.

I think they're building their case very carefully and making sure there are no loose ends. The FBI has been on the scene advising them since the first night so I would say they're being well guided. I've been reading a lot of sites as well, wiseguy, and what you wrote is pretty much the speculation.

I also find it odd that the stepmum's friend has now gone to the media and she's not talking about Kyron missing or the stepmum being destroyed about Kyron missing. She's instead talking about poor stepmum, this is hard on her, all the speculation is frustrating. Taking another polygraph is frustrating. It's basically all about the stepmum and nothing about the missing kid. Seems a bit...weird. Kind of like when she and the dad went to the gym a couple of days after Kyron went missing.

As far as the biomum leaving Kyron with his dad and future stepmum, she was suffering kidney failure and had to go to Canada for treatment (gotta love that US healthcare system!). I imagine it wasn't an easy decision to make, particularly since Kyron lived with her for the first few years of his life. I watched the press conferences and she is destroyed. The stepmum? Maybe not so much. Or maybe she's just stronger or more likely to keep her emotions in check.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Biomum just released a letter. Looks to me like another part of a well-concerted effort to pile on the pressure on the stepmum. I think they're trying to make her crack.

As police and the FBI continue to search for Kyron Horman, a 7-year-old boy who disappeared from Skyline Elementary School in Portland, Ore., on June 4, the boy’s biological mother, Desiree Young, shared exclusively with NBC News the following letter to her son:
    Dear Kyron,
    I am so soooooo sorry that this has happened. I am sorry that I was not there to protect you. I will never be able to forgive myself for being so many hours away when you needed me the most. I pray that you come back to me because I am afraid that I can’t live without you. I miss you every second of every day. I would give my life for yours, I just want you back safe. You must come back to us. We have so many things that we have planned this summer that you are going to love. Quinn loves you so much and wants you home too. All of the family is here and wants you to know just how much they miss you. Mayson is terribly sad without his best friend to play with and wants you home soon.
    Story continues below ↓
    advertisement | your ad here

When you come home I will show you all of the things that everyone did for you, just to find you. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people that don’t know you and yet they pray for you every night. They know how much I miss you and need you and they just want to bring you home to me. There are so many wonderful people working on this case and they are going to find you soon.

Video

Missing
    June 7: Police in Portland, Ore., say Kyron Horman was last seen inside his school, then suddenly disappeared.
    TODAY Show
    I would give anything to run my fingers through your short hair again. I miss having you to hug anytime I want. Nighttime is always hard for me. I miss you so much and want you back here so that I can protect you from all of the horrible things in this world. I just can’t believe that you aren’t still with us. Your life has been really great and I know that it is [not] done yet. A long time ago you saved my life and now I am going to do the same for you. Our lives will never be the same after this.
    I love you very much!
    Momma

Read more: Missing 7-year-old’s mom shares letter to him - TODAY People

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Biomum just released a letter. Looks to me like another part of a well-concerted effort to pile on the pressure on the stepmum. I think they're trying to make her crack.
    Geez, Butt. That was a tough read - absolutely heart wrenching. This case has really touched me and I am so upset for Kyron. I'm praying for the little guy every day.

Bronze Member

Something odd going on with the grandfather:

R Neil Horman | Facebook

Look at that dark photograph where you can't see his face or his body and you just see a dark form lurking in the woods instead .

And why hasn't he changed his pic to one of Kyron?

Here is his lulu website where he sells his books:
    R. Neil Horman's Storefront - Lulu.com

He writes murder mysteries and children's books.

Did he raise the son who grew up to become a convicted sex offender or was it Kaine and Kristian's bio-dad that raised them both?

Check out this excerpt from a children's story called Terri That Red Squirrel:

Terri, That Red Squirrel | Red Squirrel | Squirrel | Terri Squirrel

Dennis’s Den was a very good place to take naps. Naps were short periods of rest in between exciting things like waking up in the morning, having breakfast, and laying in front of the fireplace on a cool Spring morning.

It had been just such a morning when Buddy discovered Micaela sitting on the porch reading her favorite book. Buddy jumped onto her lap, pushed aside the book and curled up in Michaela’s lap.

As Buddy lay innocently studying the movement of the warm midmorning sun, a small squirrel skittered across the front yard.She stopped, sat up on her hind paws, and looked around. Then she quickly dug at the ground and started pushing her face into the hole.Buddy found this to be quite curious behavior and rolled over onto his side to watch the squirrel and her antics.Micaela jumped to her feet sprawling Buddy to the porch. She ran through the front door shouting, “Grandfather, grandfather, come see the red squirrel!”Buddy got up somewhat disheveled and looked at the creature that had so effectively upset his midmorning nap.The red squirrel sat up on her hind paws, looked at Buddy, whirled her tail, then ran half way across the front yard.Buddy took this as an insult and an affront and called out, as only cat’s can, “Go away and leave us alone, Red Squirrel. You ruined my nap!”“Catnap, Catnap, Cat can’t nap nap!” taunted Terri the red squirrel and scurried away across the yard and into the woods."

You should analyze my facebook picture for shits and giggles.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Geez, Butt. That was a tough read - absolutely heart wrenching. This case has really touched me and I am so upset for Kyron. I'm praying for the little guy every day.
    I know, for some reason this little guy has grabbed me and I just would like to know what happened to him. Really hoping he's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Ha...I was thinking that the other day while posting something. I'd come out as a freak.

--Sinclair Lewis

Something odd going on with the grandfather:

R Neil Horman | Facebook

Look at that dark photograph where you can't see his face or his body and you just see a dark form lurking in the woods instead .

And why hasn't he changed his pic to one of Kyron?

Here is his lulu website where he sells his books:
    R. Neil Horman's Storefront - Lulu.com

He writes murder mysteries and children's books.

Did he raise the son who grew up to become a convicted sex offender or was it Kaine and Kristian's bio-dad that raised them both?

Check out this excerpt from a children's story called Terri That Red Squirrel:

Terri, That Red Squirrel | Red Squirrel | Squirrel | Terri Squirrel

Dennis’s Den was a very good place to take naps. Naps were short periods of rest in between exciting things like waking up in the morning, having breakfast, and laying in front of the fireplace on a cool Spring morning.

It had been just such a morning when Buddy discovered Micaela sitting on the porch reading her favorite book. Buddy jumped onto her lap, pushed aside the book and curled up in Michaela’s lap.

As Buddy lay innocently studying the movement of the warm midmorning sun, a small squirrel skittered across the front yard.She stopped, sat up on her hind paws, and looked around. Then she quickly dug at the ground and started pushing her face into the hole.Buddy found this to be quite curious behavior and rolled over onto his side to watch the squirrel and her antics.Micaela jumped to her feet sprawling Buddy to the porch. She ran through the front door shouting, “Grandfather, grandfather, come see the red squirrel!”Buddy got up somewhat disheveled and looked at the creature that had so effectively upset his midmorning nap.The red squirrel sat up on her hind paws, looked at Buddy, whirled her tail, then ran half way across the front yard.Buddy took this as an insult and an affront and called out, as only cat’s can, “Go away and leave us alone, Red Squirrel. You ruined my nap!”“Catnap, Catnap, Cat can’t nap nap!” taunted Terri the red squirrel and scurried away across the yard and into the woods."

So he isn't a good writer.

I don't fault people for not changing their facebook pictures, nor about the quality of their pictures. Nor do I know how close he was to family. For all I know, he didn't like Terri and wrote a character about it. I'm not a facebook friend of grandfather, so I can't see the last time he was on. But I do have suspicions about any parent and step-parent for playing games in the first few days their child went missing. Or going to the gym and avoiding the reporter who asked what they could do to help. Or hopping onto the internet to read and post messages to 'clear' their names.

The letter to Kryon is heart-breaking. Please let them find Kryon alive and return him to his mom.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Mine too.. I want a reading.

PS. some people suck
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Thread Information